A chest solar refrigerator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #15

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
Go figure. . when temperature hits 20s my refrigerator stops working on AC and dumps heat into it. I have to run on propane when cold. ??? It my milk, steaks went bad and ice cream melted.
Now I'll get back OT
I would guess that you would need a large battery pack and solar system to support one for long-term use.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #16

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I couldn't be happier with our NovaKool Danfoss compressor style 12 volt only refrigerator, combined with a 100 watt solar panel & one group 27 battery, we camp off the grid for a couple months up from Phoenix, to Canada and down the wet coast to come back home. Just turn it on and forget about it (just like your home refrigerator) until you get back home and turn it off. It works great at angles up to 30 degrees, all the temps that Phoenix Az & 10,000 ft camping in Colorado can throw at it, along with wind or traveling down the hwy. I will never go back to a 3way again.
Dave & Paula

Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #17

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up on the idea of incorporating a Danfoss compressor style 12 volt refer. I have several netQuaintences that are using them (such as NovaKool, ARB, and Engel brands.) Most of the rigs are set up with just one 12 volt house battery and charged off the car's alternator (these are expedition rigs like Land Rovers and such). Anywhoo...we may go this way in our Parkliner or Van Conversion at some point.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #18

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
David B
I guess I'm use to the high power users refrigerators.. and had forgotten about efficiency models. I guess I need to check out them.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
In all my time camping in Minnesota and Wisconsin I have run my trailers A/C only 2 times and my home does not have A/C. We have had freezing temperatures and snow on the ground since November . We make large batches of sausage (100 Lbs) , chili ,(10 Gallons) Spaghetti sauce (10 Gallons ) , meatballs and dago patties (60 lbs) in the winter because the outdoors is one large freezer . It's free , it works and there are no mechanical parts to fail!! It was - 22 Deg F Below Zero here on Monday morning and the night time temperatures are predicted to be below zero for the next week to ten days
I can't understand why home fridges don't have the option to vent to the outside. It would be as easy as a stove vent to pull cold air from the outside to cool the fridge. A thermostat controlled fan and probably an outside temp sensor should be all that would be required. Then during the winter months, the largest consumer of electricity in the house, (next to electric heating) wold be way less expensive to run.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #20

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Thumbs up on the idea of incorporating a Danfoss compressor style 12 volt refer. I have several netQuaintences that are using them (such as NovaKool, ARB, and Engel brands.) Most of the rigs are set up with just one 12 volt house battery and charged off the car's alternator (these are expedition rigs like Land Rovers and such). Anywhoo...we may go this way in our Parkliner or Van Conversion at some point.

Cheers,

Thom

I think the Engel uses the Japanese made swing compressor and not the Danfoss, there a pros and cons as to equivalency, bottom line tends to be as usual price and most Danfoss incorporated units are cheaper. " national Luna is an exception but the build quality is impressive"
Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I appreciate that my fridge vents its heat inside. You don't want to know about this house, but the back of the fridge is actually in the bathroom. It makes the bathroom toasty warm.
The only time of the year when it might be a disadvantage is two weeks in the summer, and then I just open a door or window.

Tags
refrigerator, solar