A day to remember! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Yesterday brought many people together here in LAKE Forest Park, WA. I live with a normally magnificent creek quietly running through our front yard. Yesterday it became a raging frightening river. At 5:30 a.m. the doorbell rang and I knew immediately it wasn't good. "You better get up and take a look at the rising water". I did not sit down or eat until 3:30 in the afternoon. We had 12 fabulous neighbors and friends work tirelessly filling sandbags (over 200) and placing them. There is a small (about 24"x60') retaining wall that separates our driveway from our upstream neighbors yard. Their house sits 4-5' above ours on a knoll. The creek had completely filled in the 60'x200' area. Our driveway slopes down into the carport and garage. I couldn'd even begin to calculate the amount of water that would have continued to surge into our house for 9 long hours had it breeched that wall. After racing around at 7:00 a.m. looking for sandbags (I found one pallet at Lowes), the very next order of business was "SAVE THE TRAILER". It, along with my little 1979 VW bug housed in the garage, were moved to safety. We worked for nine emotional and physically challenging hours, looking for and filling sandbags. We mananged to hold off the water until the rain let up and it started to recede. I was overwhelmed by the kindness and compassion these people showed us. We were luckier than many. I've always believed it, but was reminded yesterday that people are so very good.

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Merry Christmas
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Very glad to hear you had a good outcome. And a little boost in the "faith in human-kind" titre isn't bad either!
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
WOW,, That has got to be really scary.
Glad you and your neighbors managed.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Very glad this Memory turned out well. Praises to the neighbors and other folks who helped save the day. I'd bring you a Pom Margarita if I could Sharon.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Great that everyone and everything was OK. The boys will have some great tales to tell and this will help set the tone for their lives, as an example of giving and caring. A great day.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It is amazing how a community, no matter how divided on a regular day, can come together when there is a disaster.

No one asks who you are or what you do or what you believe, they just ask if you need help and do so tirelessly if needed.

I am glad your neighbors are that way and happy you escaped disaster!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....being originally from Floodipeg, Manitoba, I know all too well the anguish you and your neighbours went through.
"Baggin' Ain't For Sissys". We too here on the 'hill' are in a low area compared to both our neighbours and we were a 'TAD' concerned to see the small(ish) creek and pond in our back yard grow (under about 8 inchs of snow) into a small sized lake !! No damage was incurred here and things have returned to their usual (for this time of the year) soggy state!!

Glad you n yours made out O.K.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
i like hearing good stories like this...
enjoy your Christmas
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
We second everyone's good comments ... this is a terrific example of community coming together for the common good. Glad everyone's hard work paid off and there was no damage. Hooray for your Good Neighbors! L 'n D
Old 12-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Hey, thanks for eveyone's kind words. Still trying to figure out what to do with 206 sandbags....maybe a garage sale next time it rains .
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hey, thanks for eveyone's kind words. Still trying to figure out what to do with 206 sandbags....maybe a garage sale next time it rains .
Chehalis can use them.... or one giant sandbox at a park??? Oh wait, dirty sand... never mind.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote