A Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service record? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We decided to use our 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.2L) instead of our 1996 Ford Explorer (4.0L) for our week long camping trip, starting yesterday. Because the TVs are pretty old I called Good Sam on Tuesday to get their Emergency Roadside Service. The ERS went into effect on Thursday evening on Friday morning we took off, loaded for bear and a week of camping.

We made it to Wasco, about 80 miles away when the transmission went out. Luckily we limped into the Burger King and weren't stranded on the badlands between Wasco and Paso Robles (60 miles or so of nothing and temps over 102).

Good Sam towed the TV 25 miles or so into Bakersfield and we rented a car to get home. I went back to Wasco to get the trailer with the Ford, I didn't want the trailer towed. The BK manager said leaving the trailer there was OK, just lock it up and try to get it out by dark. I got there at last light and finally made it home at midnight.

Not a good way to start a trip, but ERS worked fine and we were safe and cool at Burger King. I wonder if I set any sort of record? Getting a tow within 24 hours of getting coverage is not good for their busines model. The kids thought it was an adventure so all is well.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita

Well, I don't know about that being a record, and I'm glad your deal worked out as good as it did, but I want to share something I just found out this past week, about trailer towing.

The Fuel Pump suddenly went out on our 99 Tahoe and we were close to home so we managed to limp into our garage. The Tahoe never would start again so I had to have it towed to the Mechanic and $1,022.91 later (which was for a new fuel pump, filter and 4 new Shock absorbers) we brought the baby home.

What got me to thinking was, what if that happened while we were in the middle of Wyoming, or someplace like that, would my AAA and Car insurance towing cover bringing the Tahoe AND the Bigfoot into civilization? I found out that my Car Insurance would not pay anything for towing the trailer and only $75 total for towing the Tahoe. Also, we have the basic AAA membership and that will only pay a hookup charge and towing up to 4 miles for the ''cars''.

In other words, I ain't got no stinking towing protection for my trailer. This could be a big problem if we're far away from home. I found out that I can upgrade the AAA to an RV protection that will tow BOTH the Tahoe and the Trailer up to 100 miles. This will cost an additional $69 to bring the AAA up to the Plus package and then up to the RV package.

I'm going to explore Good Sam and other's but you can be sure before we go on a long trip, again, we'll have towing protection for the Trailer as well as the Tahoe.

Just never thought about it before this week and want to prompt you all to check your coverage.

Also, I would like to hear from any of you who have already dealt with this issue.

Regards,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Renee K.
Being a GS Life Member, the cost each year for ERS is a bargain at less than $100.
That is for anywhere anytime for all vehicles and RVs. Many tell me that they have towing with their regular insurance so I tell them to check on what they will tow, how far, how quick, and how simple to get the needed service.
ERS has always taken less than 7 minutes to tell me that tow service was on the way!
Renee K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have only had to use mine once.. but they were there, without complaint about how far away I was. They delivered 2 gallons of gas.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #5

Quote:
The Fuel Pump suddenly went out on our 99 Tahoe and we were close to home so we managed to limp into our garage. The Tahoe never would start again so I had to have it towed to the Mechanic and $1,022.91 later (which was for a new fuel pump, filter and 4 new Shock absorbers) we brought the baby home.
Not really what your post was about, but just as a warning, my 98 Tahoe had to have the Fuel pump replaced not once but THREE times in the first 18months of its life. The second two were in fairly quick succession after the first one. I don't know how many more times it might have happened because we sold the car.

End of thread hijack
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Not really what your post was about, but just as a warning, my 98 Tahoe had to have the Fuel pump replaced not once but THREE times in the first 18months of its life. The second two were in fairly quick succession after the first one. I don't know how many more times it might have happened because we sold the car.

End of thread hijack
Thanks for the warning. Hopefully, mine will only go once but I'll be alert for problems.

Maybe your Tahoe had other problems that led to the FP failure. Who knows? Cars are a necessary evil, aren't they!

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote