a grand idea in the scheme of things - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I shudder at the thought of trying to keep a caravan all traveling together, despite different trailer types, tow vehicles, and personal driving habits. Then there's the road rage than can be induced in normally reasonable cara and truck drivers by any string of RVs...

Maybe a more workable idea is the "chase" or "sweep" vehicle: if a group travels between agreed-upon sites by an agreed-upon route, then the designated last member can ensure that no one is stranded along the way, and can go get help from the others if there is a breakdown. If anyone fails to show up and is not found along the way, then it is immediately apparent that they are missing, just like a pilot with a flight plan or a hiker who has notified someone of their schedule.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
There are extremely empowered women on this site and I absolutely admire you for that ! It's great that you have no hesitation to "head out on the highway looking for adventure to what ever comes your way---".

Well, I can't honestly say that it is without hesitation. That's usually part of the process just like getting my car and trailer ready. I finally told myself that I could sit here and become a grumpy old woman or I could get up and go. The cowgirl thing helps me remember that. I finally decided that I have a cell phone, I have Good Sams AND AAA, my car has On*Star, I have a dog, I make sure my car and trailer are ready, then I strap on my chaps and ride. Only family and those that I am meeting know my schedule. There are those that are certainly more daring than I, but it's all about ones own comfort level.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Quote:
...the designated last member can ensure that no one is stranded along the way, and can go get help from the others if there is a breakdown.
Unless the DLM is the one who breaks down!

Byron's comments are very sensible I think and I would bet they agree with most of our actual experiences.

My personal preference would be that women learn to protect themselves and thereby make the world a little less safe for the scumbags. But everyone should pursue their own level of comfort and if traveling in convoy is it, then so be it.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Take a cell phone, then you hopefully will be able to call for help anywhere and also call to all of your friends.

Making a caravan on the highway is just a big pain in the butt.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
You really only need to have one or two other trailers if using the caravan style. Not a large number of them. It is very common for RVers to use this method when traveling in Baja or Mainland Mexico. I see it all the time when I go down that way. But I would keep it simple. Those handheld 2 way radios reach a good distance and are not very expensive any longer. Do what YOU think best.

No need to be paranoid but also no need to be stupid. Alone or in small group, always use all the common sense you have gathered.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Unless the DLM is the one who breaks down!
Good point, of course. I was really thinking of performance rally competition, where that sweep role is taken by a non-competing official vehicle, or bicycle tours with a sweep van; for the trailer caravan it should be a non-towing vehicle or at least an experienced RVer with a particularly capable and well-equipped rig, and preferably some form of communication.

Someone in a caravan is always last, and if they are out of sight (or the reach of the radio...) they run that risk of breaking down without support following them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Byron's comments are very sensible I think and I would bet they agree with most of our actual experiences.

My personal preference would be that women learn to protect themselves and thereby make the world a little less safe for the scumbags. But everyone should pursue their own level of comfort and if traveling in convoy is it, then so be it.
It's always wise to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are.
My earlier comments were to point that most of fears are unfounded. Some are fueled by the news media, some fueled by movies, and some we are simply born with. I think the best way to combat your fears is to analyize them. I usually look at probabilities. What are the chances of running into the bad guy, like you see in the movies? Pretty slim.

A person's fears are very real to them, so they should be respected as real. Then work through them. If you're more comfortable going with a group, go to where there's a group that you know as much as possible. Go to established campgrouds where families go. The more comfortable you get with camping in own little trailer, the more you'll want to go. Eventually you'll start pushing your personal limits a bit. Every time you push out a bit, then get comfortable at that point the closer you come really being able to enjoy without fear.

Without fear doesn't mean without caution. If a person feels unfortable in situation get out the situation as soon as you can. Even old macho me does that.