A Great Escape from the CO heat - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Pic's of our first camping trip out of CO this year! Found a very little un-known peace of heaven in a state I am not a fan of! But I can certainly say I will go back. Saratoga WY, the rv park was nothing to write home about but was tidy and quiet with the North Platte River right behind our site. Took a guided fishing trip and not only had great fishing but the scenery and wildlife were amazing. Saw at least 6 or 8 bald eagles, deer, minks and all the other creatures that inhabit the river bank.

(Keith, Let me know if you guys go by there.)
Attached Thumbnails
forum_saratoga_1.jpg   forum_2.jpg  

forum_3.jpg  

Old 07-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #2

In the first pic, you can barely see the Casita among the stickie's, but there was actually another Casita there this weekend a sweet WY couple whom didn't know about the forum (they do now, hope the join us) as well as are going to try and make the CO get together in Sept! The bottom pic was taken on the Snowy Range part of Medicine Bow Range. If you look at just right of center of the pic, the brown spot is a Moose! (sorry I am the worst picture taker)
Attached Thumbnails
forum_4.jpg   forum_5.jpg  

Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #3

Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado
Quote:
Pic's of our first camping trip out of CO this year! Found a very little un-known peace of heaven in a state I am not a fan of! But I can certainly say I will go back. Saratoga WY, the rv park was nothing to write home about but was tidy and quiet with the North Platte River right behind our site. Took a guided fishing trip and not only had great fishing but the scenery and wildlife were amazing. Saw at least 6 or 8 bald eagles, deer, minks and all the other creatures that inhabit the river bank.

(Keith, Let me know if you guys go by there.)
Well, we are here. Apparently just missed you. We came in Tuesday afternoon and will be here 2 days then head South. (Might stop by if you're home). Everything you said about the place is accurate. Janet, RV lady, said they aren't doing raft floats now. What did you do and how did you do it? I guess I just assumed it was a Raft trip.

Anyway, we're heading to the Hot Springs and whatever else today. The one thing we should note is that this RV Park doesn't have Bathrooms or Showers, but that's not a problem with most RV's for a few days. Janet said the Hot Springs place has showers. Sure hope so, I'm starting to stink.

A couple drove through the park last evening with a 2009 Casita but didn't stay. They are from Sheridan, WY and I told them about Fiberglassrv site and our event. George and wife, seemed very nice.

Later,

EKW
Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Robin, I was up there a few weeks ago, mostly camping out on the Thunder Basin National Grasslands. But my last night I spent down in a beautiful section of the Medicine Bow National Forest below Douglas. There's a campground in Esterbrook but I was able to find my own place off a short FS road. Even though it was the weekend, there was hardly anybody there. It's fairly hard to access because you have to come in from the North and this probably keeps a lot of people away. Check it out if you get a chance.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #5

Keith, We took a guided fishing trip down the river. *Got your voice mail, but I just got home from Pueblo. So it's late, I will call you tomorrow*. We didn't go to the hot springs, I don't do any hot springs! Hot peeeeeee water is not my thing! LOL........ I won't even go into Glenwood Hot Springs........
Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Robin, I was up there a few weeks ago, mostly camping out on the Thunder Basin National Grasslands. But my last night I spent down in a beautiful section of the Medicine Bow National Forest below Douglas. There's a campground in Esterbrook but I was able to find my own place off a short FS road. Even though it was the weekend, there was hardly anybody there. It's fairly hard to access because you have to come in from the North and this probably keeps a lot of people away. Check it out if you get a chance.
The beauty up there is amazing! But due to Dh's health issues boondocking is out for us. Isn't it amazing how few people are around there? It's a good thing, unlike the campgrounds of CO that are over flowing with people.

Terry, had you seen where we are having a CO get together? Check out the post in the rally forum.......
Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #7

Colorado
We went down to the Hot & nasty Springs after I posted the message and we were very dissapointed. So no one should go to Saratoga for those. In fact, we decided to leave early and drove down to Grand Lake where we found a beautiful Campground for 2 nights and we will go home Friday. This place is called Elk Ridge, i think, the info is in the car. It's Elk something but very nice.

Regards,

Keith & Shirley
Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Terry, had you seen where we are having a CO get together? Check out the post in the rally forum.......
Thanks for the invitation Robin but the timing doesn't work for me. I'm leaving for a month in India on September 9th. Anybody need a cobra, an elephant, or maybe a new guru?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #9

Keith, I should have said something as I did see the pictures from the Saratoga web-site. Didn't look pleasing to me at all. But again, I don't even go in those things. Have a great time in Grand Lake.

Terry, enjoy India! Wow that should be a fun place to visit.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Keith, I should have said something as I did see the pictures from the Saratoga web-site. Didn't look pleasing to me at all. But again, I don't even go in those things. Have a great time in Grand Lake.

Terry, enjoy India! Wow that should be a fun place to visit.

No harm done, Robin. We really enjoyed Grand Lake. Elk Creek campground was great and the highlight was the 1 hour Pontoon Boat Tour of Grand Lake. If anyone does it, ask for Rudy to be the Pilot / Guide. What a kick and so much history and info passed on. Best $17 each we spent on our 2 weeks out.

EKW
Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Thanks for the invitation Robin but the timing doesn't work for me. I'm leaving for a month in India on September 9th. Anybody need a cobra, an elephant, or maybe a new guru?

Don't need no sneaky snakes but I've heard you should take your own TP with you. Do you know about that?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
Don't need no sneaky snakes but I've heard you should take your own TP with you. Do you know about that?
I don't know about India, but I've been in a lot of countries where TP in a public toilet is a concession for somebody. They want some small sum like 3 pesos and then they hand you two little sheets.

Yeah, I've learned to bring my own.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
I don't know about India, but I've been in a lot of countries where TP in a public toilet is a concession for somebody. They want some small sum like 3 pesos and then they hand you two little sheets.

Yeah, I've learned to bring my own.

Or, like my favorite joke from Morey Amsterdam (SP?) about being in stall in Russia. There was no TP so he knocked on the stall wall, and asked the guy in the next stall if he had change for a $10 bill??
Of course you have to be old enough to know who Morey was, eh?

Keith

Tags
escape