A liner Cabin A thoughts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
Texas
A liner Cabin A thoughts

What are y'all's thoughts about the A-liner cabin A? This is the one that doesn't fold up. It's looks like it's fiber glass, albeit not molded. The one I looked at had No Shower and No Toilet. It did have a three foot storage area in front though. Were there any problems with this model that anyone knows of? This one is 2007
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I missed on eBay by $100.00 last month.
They are very rare.
If I could find one I would buy it in a heart beat were it in decent shape.

I emailed A-Liner about them.
The response was they only built a few and decided to stick with the foldable.
The person who answered the e-mail also said they sold well and he wished they had continued them.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anthony, since this is an all molded towable forum, we're going to be slanted to that style build. If you really wish to know what folks think about the A-liner cabin A, I respectfully suggest you try: iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News and the Open Road forums at RV.net
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Thank You Donna

But I was going to mention that maybe the non-foldable "A" liner went the same way as the standard transmission. Limited Demand = Limited Products

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Anthony, since this is an all molded towable forum, we're going to be slanted to that style build. If you really wish to know what folks think about the A-liner cabin A, I respectfully suggest you try: iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News and the Open Road forums at RV.net
Thanks,

That's why I put it in general chat. I thought maybe someone here had one, but that's prolly not the case. Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

I was going to mention that maybe the non-foldable "A" liner went the same way as the standard transmission. Limited Demand = Limited Products
Have you ever run across one of these in your PUP dealings, Bob? I ask because I read somewhere that most of the few that were built went to the California market.

For the O.P.:

There's a listing/brief description of this trailer and its various floorplans etc. at John Weeks' website Guide to Ultralight Campers .
Here's the direct link for the Cabin A
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Thanks,

That's why I put it in general chat. I thought maybe someone here had one, but that's prolly not the case. Thanks again.
Hmmmm...
I'm thinking two wheels and small is about all we have in common, but if you look here:

PopUpPortal

with their 27,000+ members, including a section for A-liners, I am sure you will have better results.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Have you ever run across one of these in your PUP dealings, Bob? I ask because I read somewhere that most of the few that were built went to the California market.

Can't say I have ever seen one. Here's some pics:
https://www.google.com/search?q=alin...2F%3B300%3B210

Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
There's a listing/brief description of this trailer and its various floorplans etc. at John Weeks' website Guide to Ultralight Campers. Here's the direct link for the Cabin A
I love this quote from the bottom of the page linked above;
"My advice? Get the biggest tow vehicle you can. Start with a small used trailer where you invest very little. Learn about the RV lifestyle on something cheap. Once you really know what you want, then buy the trailer that you think will work the best. This helps you to avoid making what might be an expensive mistake the first time around."

I suppose I like it since it is kind of the way I am doing things (quite by accident). I already had an older (2003) F-150 truck w/small V-8 sitting in the driveway that I like a lot and is paid for. I bought an older 1988 Scamp 16 that was solid but needed "refreshing" (axle, A/C, etc.). I have done a lot of work to the old Scamp and spent some money on it but am still at half the cost of a similiar newer used trailer and about a third or less the cost of new. My old truck is not the most "efficient" tow rig for this trailer but it still a lot cheaper then buying anything else. And the Scamp tows really nice behind a full-size truck.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

Texas
I have an ok Towing vehicle. It's a 1/2 ton Chevy 4 door truck.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I have an ok Towing vehicle. It's a 1/2 ton Chevy 4 door truck.
FWIW: Sometimes we get rude surprises. There are vehicles out there with that description that have a towing limit of 1900 lbs. What does the owners manual (not on-line references) for your specific vehicle say?

2006 colorado 4dr towing capacity

and there are others

Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Surprises

Quote:
FWIW: Sometimes we get rude surprises. There are vehicles out there with that description that have a towing limit of 1900 lbs. What does the owners manual (not on-line references) for your specific vehicle say?

and there are others
My old Ram 1/2 ton truck with the V6 engine had a towing capacity of 2000 lbs (Per Owners Manual). I towed a 16 ft Scamp with it for awhile and soon discovered that Dodge's engineers were correct . I have only seen the fold down A Liner and was impressed . It was being towed around the country by a 92 year old man , who could set it up or take it down in a matter of minutes . He was towing the A liner with a 25 year old Volvo
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #13

Texas
Quote:

and there are others
I'll gave to check, but I think it's about 4700

I have a 4.8 with 3.23 ratio
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Please stick to commenting about the Aliner. Towing is the subject of a different forum
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Smile

Never seen one, but we have rented two old Aliners (foldable) in Alaska in the past. Our daughter & her hubby has also rented a couple in Tucson in the past. They are neat trailers.

If you don't need a shower or toilet, they would be pretty nice rig, I would think.

In 2010, I believe, we looked at one something like it (it was an Aliner as well as I remember), but a little longer. Door in back, but it had an Aluminum (or metal anyway) roof which went from the front tongue area all the way back. All electric as I remember. Quite a bit of head room, too. Might have been a 2009 model, it was at an RV Sales lot.

Pretty neat looking. Didn't care for the all electric, however. Believe it had a shower/bath.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #16

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Missed a buy on this one couple of years ago. Still mentally 'kicking' myself every time I think about it. Was just too short of cash at that particular time. Was a great buy too...
Attached Thumbnails
CABINA2.jpg  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
My friend has an A-Liner. I’m not sure of the year or model. I’ve never seen him use it but he could be doing that behind my back. He had a U-Haul and got tired of hitting his head. Although I never seen him use it; he speaks highly of it. My personal thought is it is smaller than mine at least with the ceiling height.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote