A-liner or Pop up - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Should I get a pop up or aliner camper when towing with a minivan?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 AM   #2

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
OK I will bite?

Why would you ask his here and not ask about a Fiberglass RV?

Ed

Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Technically an Aliner is a solid sided pop-up that is fiberglass and aluminum and is an alternative to a solid fiberglass trailer...... If your options are only those two i would go with the Aliner because pop-ups canvas gets wet and must be dried out and i've already seen pop-ups that where folded up and the mice had a field day chewing holes in the canvas..... Others may feel differently and this is just my personal opinion as i had to repair those mice holes under a sewing machine and will never do that again.
Also the solid sided fold out fiberglass gives you more protection from the outside elements than canvas and the weight seems to be less too
Joe
Aliner home page
http://www.aliner.com/design/Xterior/homep...p?Type=TEXTLEFT

Aliner Specifications

Length (feet) 9.5'

Width (inches) 60"

Road Height (inches) 36"

Weight (lbs) 500 lbs.

Gross Vehicle Weight
Rating (GVWR) 1000 lbs.

Standard Equipment

Aluminum Fiberglass Exterior

4 Stabilizer Jacks

Spare Tire, Carrier, and Cover

1 Standard Baggage Door(s)

1 Standard Roof Vent(s)
Options

Electrical System (Outside outlet, porch light, battery hookup, and ceiling light)
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Moved to General Chat, this topic is NOT about Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers. But, I hope the OP gets answers he or she is seeking.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Moved to General Chat, this topic is NOT about Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers. But, I hope the OP gets answers he or she is seeking.
I weasn't trying to be nasty or not helpful,I really just do not understand the question being here?
I too would go with the Aliner as it hardsided.
The question is phrased as though a FGRV is not an option?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lexi, Not knowing your camping preferences, frankly that is an almost impossible question to answer. You don't say in your post if your looking for a rv that sleeps 1,2,3,4 or a whole herd of family. What is the towing capacity of your van? Do you like to wilderness camp, resort camp ? Would you prefer a trailer with a bathroom, or porta potty or none at all?

A little more info is needed to give you a better suggestion as to what type of rv would work best for you.

Technically this forum is dedicated to (Molded) fiberglass travel trailers ( I was thinking the same thing as Ed ). But that is not to say many of us haven't owned different types of rv units. So we may be able to at least guide you towards a place that would give you more answers depending on the type of rv your looking for. But if your interested in a fiberglass egg, well you came to the right place. There is a wealth of info here. So if you will answer the few questions I asked then hopefully we can have some suggestions for you. With a little more info, we can help you find your perfect trailer...........
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #7

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
I have a pop-up and was looking at either an A-Liner or Fiberglass camper. It was a close call, but I settled on a Scamp. The A-Liner would have been much easier than my pop-up to raise and lower each time I had to set up, and that's why I wanted to upgrade from a pop-up. If you don't need the extra sleeping capacity of a pop-up, I would recommend the A-Liner, but for my purposes the Scamp was even more convenient than the A-Liner.

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Ohio
I also considered the Aliner and pop up, but the value just isn't there. The money they wanted for the aliner will almost purchase a 13' fiberglass . A solid trailer is so much more useful, for example , when on the road I can stop and prepare a nice lunch at a park or rest area without any set up. The usable room inside is greater. The quality of the trailers are much better with fiberglass . The one person I have met on the road with an Aliner sure wished he had gone with fiberglass. I would prefer a fiberglass floor to a plywood one.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #9

Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Should I get a pop up or aliner camper when towing with a minivan?

Having once owned a pop-up (for a very short amount of time!), I would never do it again: wet canvas, mice during storage, and not cunducive to poor-weather camping. Have never owned an A-liner, but I've heard there can be water issues in the hinged areas. If tow capacity is not an issue I say go for a FGRV. We love our Scamp!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
We owned a canvas popup for one summer. Just one! Then I sold it. I did not like getting all sweaty cranking the top up and down and setting everything up. Unlatch 4 corners, crank up, pull out both trays (plywood, I'd get splinters in fingers), go all around and secure the canvas down into place with the snaps, go inside and put the metal supports into place above the slideouts... whew! Taking it down was just as much fun, plus you have to make sure you get the canvas tucked in properly so it isn't hanging out. On a windy night the canvas is constantly flapping and making noise, and my wife felt very uneasy sleeping in it while in bear country.

I like the look and the concept of the A frames. No canvas, easier and quicker to put up. But they flex quite easily, so things don't always line up correctly. They cut the frame out to accomodate the door, which doesn't help with rigidity or strength. Then there are the delamination problems I've read about... the inside and outside layers of the roof panels don't expand and contract at the same rates. And I've read a couple tales of wind getting hold of a roof panel and ripping it clean off.

That's why I would recommend the kind of trailer I now own: a solid-shell fiberglass trailer. A basic 13' Scamp, new, will cost more than most new canvas popups but less than a new Aliner or Chalet. It will tow with similar ease and you'll get nearly as good fuel economy. Plus the "egg" trailer will hold its resale value waaaay better than the others.

I hope that helps.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #11

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Neither. Go with a glass trailer (that is what this site is about after all...). Pop ups are a huge pain... a minimum of four setups and takedowns every trip... and a nightmare in rainy weather. A-Liners leak. All of them. I have a 16' side dinette fiberglass trailer that is light enough to be towed with my Honda Element, and so far, I'm getting 20 mpg towing over about 1,200 miles. Not bad... and no setup/takedown... and I don't care if it's raining!

Happy hunting!

Roger
Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #12

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I don't think any one of the trailers - pop-up, A-liner, or molded fiberglass "go" with a mini-van any more than the others. Given a suitable towing capacity, you could tow any of them.

Assuming you do have the tow capacity for any of the three (look in your van's manual to find it), I would choose by what you like, what you want to afford, and what works for you and your camping companions. That's the beauty of a trailer; it is independent of the tow vehicle (aside from the weight rating).

Of course as a molded fiberglass trailer owner, you can tell which one suits me (but I don't tow with a mini-van).
Old 07-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I do like the egg but I can't find one that sleeps four or one in my area. Is there any other choices I have? I can tow 3500 ibs. Sorry I posted in the wrong area.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Some of these eggs have bunk beds that would give you the capacity to sleep four but that upper bunk will only hold 80 pounds......... the bunk bed models are hard to find but they are out there and can be found in 13' models without bath or 16'-17' models with bath and side bunk beds..... again very rare.
Joe

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote