A Marvelous book - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A Marvelous book

I posted the following on the NL Caravan thread, but know it deserves a bigger audience. Ginny bought this for me on Father's Day.

Winter in Tilting by Robert Mellin

This is a wonderful book that will add to your view of the world. It goes along way to explaining the Newfoundland culture, of growing an understanding of what made/makes NL special.

I am only a little way into the book, I'm typically a rocket reader, but this one makes me stop and question, it well should be a slow read, just like a visit to Newfoundland.

I'm naturally a slow traveler, Newfoundland deserves slow travel, it deserves taking time to see what's here. 'See' I've come to realize is simply not grasping an image, but a deeper view and understanding what makes up the image.

It's like going to Mt. Rushmore and seeing the result, seeing the result without understanding the process,without imagining the effort, the creativity misses the images you should have.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #2

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Will look for it, thanks. Here's one we both have enjoyed. William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways, about his trip in the early '80s in his fixed up bread like truck touring the entire USA from Missouri and back. Well written and fun to see how a traveler boondocks for over a year way back then
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
NFLD Book(s)

Thanks for the info about the Winter in Tilting book. Looking forward to a 'slow' read.

Since the Boler 50th Anniversary trip is planned for 2018, I want to continue East to NFLD after the meet-up in Winnipeg. I know you led a loose caravan this year, so I'm interested in what resources you could tell me about for that journey. I have a cousin there that I will visit so plan to spend quite a bit of time on the island.

NFLDr's are our treasures in Canada. There are lots of them who gravitate to the Left Coast for work either temporarily or permanently. Lots of fun, music and laughter.

Where can we read about your trip this year?
Old 06-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarolyn View Post
Will look for it, thanks. Here's one we both have enjoyed. William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways, about his trip in the early '80s in his fixed up bread like truck touring the entire USA from Missouri and back. Well written and fun to see how a traveler boondocks for over a year way back then
It has been a lot of years since I read Blue Highways.
Thanks for mentioning it, I will put it on my list of Ebooks to look for from the library.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I spent some time on Fogo Island in Tilting a few years ago when traveling about in my Teardrop. I can't recommend it high enough, but please don't let others know. Newfoundland is just to magical a place for everyone...
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post

Where can we read about your trip this year?
NL Caravan in the camping section of the forum. I will also send you other info if you PM me with a private email address , the files are too large for the forum.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckayaker View Post
I spent some time on Fogo Island in Tilting a few years ago when traveling about in my Teardrop. I can't recommend it high enough, but please don't let others know. Newfoundland is just to magical a place for everyone...
Today Ginny and I hiked the Lions Den trail in Fogo, a very rugged trail for us two 73 year olds, but absolutely beautiful

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16