A newbie's lists! For camping and for troubleshooting. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #15

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I agree with this sentiment in general, but the UHaul sealed units are really bullet proof. They are automotive grade, same as 2000's Camaro / Firebird front wheel bearings. They are also used on rental car dolly wheels.
Thanks for the great explanation, Tom. For all the campers that have bearings that can be repacked, I'm a believer in that maintenance. But for UH Peeps like me that are still running the sealed bearings,, I'll keep on just 'keepin on' with them. I don't want to have to change out hubs, rims, etc at this time. I camp locally rather than cross country. And Bob's idea about taking a UHaul rim assembly on long trips is a good one.
Can't wait to see if that new Burro follows someone home!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #16

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
...... And Bob's idea about taking a UHaul rim assembly on long trips is a good one..........
You can just buy a hub at an auto parts store or on line and carry it for peace of mind. Mine came with a hub purchased in 1992 and it was still in the original box.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #17

Name: Mary
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13'
Oregon
We did end up getting the Burro! We drove it an hour back to where we are staying the weekend from where we picked it up. Pulled over halfway through and felt the hubs, they were cold. Still cold when we got back to where we are staying, so I was happy about that. The lights worked fine, my little Grand Vitara pulled it like a champ. We have about a six hour drive tomorrow, then we will get started on the fun stuff!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #18

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by just mary View Post
We did end up getting the Burro! We drove it an hour back to where we are staying the weekend from where we picked it up. Pulled over halfway through and felt the hubs, they were cold. Still cold when we got back to where we are staying, so I was happy about that. The lights worked fine, my little Grand Vitara pulled it like a champ. We have about a six hour drive tomorrow, then we will get started on the fun stuff!
Congratulations. Aren't you glad that you were prepared?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #19

Oregon
Definitely good to be prepared! The spare is worthless, so we want to stop pick up a new one before the trip home just in case.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #20

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by just mary View Post
Definitely good to be prepared! The spare is worthless, so we want to stop pick up a new one before the trip home just in case.
Good plan. Tires over 5 years old can be ticking time bombs even though the tread looks great.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #21

Oregon
Having a bit of a slow start today, as we got sidetracked visiting with family and didn't get as much done as we should have. Dh packed the bearings this morning - they didn't look bad - and then we decided to go ahead and get all new tires, not just the spare. A bit of a task on a Sunday, apparently, as not many tire shops are open and the ones that are didn't seem to have the tires. We finally found them about 30 minutes away, so once dh gets back from that, we will be on the road! Hopefully, the Siskiyous will be nice to us!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Good news is that the road cams for the Siskiyous show clear roads and sunny!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote