A perhaps crazy idea for "the trip of our life" - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #57

Trailer: BIOD Bambi 1980
Registry
I try to figure out what is the best way for me (I hate flying) to cross the Atlantic.
I selected 3 options:
1 Fly to Atlanta (10 hrs) + car hire to Jacksonville.
2 Fly to Miami (11 hrs) + car hire or train to Jacksonville.
3 Fly to Washington DC (8:40 hrs) + train to Jacksonville.
Are this realistic options? How about option 3?
Option 3 gives the possibility to embark the rig in Baltimore.
Thanks.

Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #58

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I probably shouldn't tell you this, but as I hate flying too, when I went to France some years ago, I went as a passenger on a freighter. As it turned out there were two other passengers, in the form of a retired British couple who had brought their Peugeot mini camper (like a wide Westfalia VW) over in the hold, toured Canada and the US, and were on their way back home. They'd done it once before about ten years prior, too. I think at that point they said it was about $900 for the camper van's passage.

We became good friends and I later visited them at their home in England. I was coming over on the ferry from France and my boat arrived at about 6 a.m. after an overnight passage. D. was waiting there in the Peugeot with the kettle on and toast and jam. He'd driven over the night before and camped in the parking lot. So my intro to England was taking a camper van across the moors

The liked to "camp wild" as they called (i.e. just pulling over somewhere on a side road or off the beaten track), and had taken some really adventurous trips on the continent - such as to the slavic countries back in the 70s and 80s.

I realize that you're probably not going to suddenly book ship's passage for yourself, but your mentioning being a fellow reluctant flyer reminded me of the British couple.

On topic of your questions, I love train travel, but it might be really lengthy and not that wonderful going down the main east coast corridor on one of our trains (I've only taken the out west train trips, which are expensive and slow but amazing as they go through roadless mountains and along rivers and such).

The Miami airport is a real zoo. I once flew to Florida and was advised by a local to fly in to Fort Lauderdale instead. I didn't listen, and took the cheaper flight to Miami. Never again. The airport was so packed with people that I had to sit on the floor. Not ONE empty place to sit, even in the "back forty."

Atlanta is a nice, efficient airport, and only probably five or so hours' drive to Jacksonville. I would probably choose that if the fare is not crazy expensive.

Dulles maybe if the train works out and it's inexpensive compared to Atlanta; but the drive down I-95 is not one of your more wonderful "open road" drives (to say the least). Of course if you are embarking the rig in Baltimore it makes perfect sense.

I find that flying is less stressful for me if I make sure to get on a "nice" plane like a 777, where I'll have my "own" TV screen to distract me. I also check seatguru.com to choose a good seat once I know which plane model I'll be flying on. Hey, for 8 hours or more it makes a difference!

Rachel

Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #59

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
- do you think it is worth working out the idea?

- do you think it is possible to sell the trailer in the US?

Yes, but title registration might be a bit of a hassle.

- what would be the best period of the year?

I'd suggest starting the journey in the northeast in late August, and working southward and westward through the autumn, reaching sunny southern California or Mexico before winter sets in to the north.

Best advice: just do it. Problems will resolve themselves as you go.
Selling trailer sans title might, in fact, be doable as some states in US do not register trailers. All you get/give in event of sale is a handwritten bill of sale which should suffice when purchaser registers trailer in his/her home state for tag and paying of appropriate sales taxes, which is what they really want anyway.. If you go this route, list the intent of sale with a foto of your trailer on one of the sites and thousands of like-minded folks will consider the offer. IK suspect the sale will be more or less effortless

Start your trek in the southern states if you wish to leave early and work your way westward and then northward and eastward as the cold and snow and ice recedes. It saves on air conditioning. Buy a surf rod and tackle here and spend time along the sea wading out in the waves and surf fishing. Its a great past time and you may eat your catch (saving even more money), something you cannot do with those goofy golf balls some folks seem to enjoy beating to death after paying for tghe privilege of doing so. Surf fishing could be free.

Another point to consider: Learn about boon docking to really save money. There are loads of online sites that explain the finer points of doing it.

Good Luck on your adventure
And, try and keep us posted while on it
Old 01-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #60

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Whether or not you have a title, I suspect it will be like when someone here in the US imports a trailer from Canada, in that a lot will depend on the rules of the buyer's state. Still probably very doable -- I'm not saying it isn't -- but the forms and such required will be dictated mostly at the state level. Some states have a list of forms and actions required (and give titles); others don't really care and don't issue titles; and many somewhere in between.

(There may be more to it if the trailer is less than 25 years old; that's the point at which they get more interested in whether the trailer meets certain criteria on the US level. Like most of this sort of thing, it'd probably be in large part checking on the rules and then in an equal part which people you happen to get when you deal with the officialdom.)
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #61

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Lex, I highly recommend that the very first purchase you make is Wal-Mart's version of the Rand-McNally Road Atlas to USA and CA -- Not only is the WalMart version less expensive, it also lists the addresses of all the stores -- Since WalMart generally encourages overnight parking (unless discouraged by local pressure), the Atlas also becomes a Campground Directory.

Keep in mind that the two countries are huge! It will take a while to adjust to the scale. It won't take a while to adjust to really inexpensive gasoline!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #62

Registry
Rachel, John and Pete, thanks for your comments and suggestions. We 'll keep them all in mind
I tried (not hard) to find a freight ship in Rotterdam, but no success till now. I also wonder what I prefer: more then 7 days on a ship or 10 hrs in a plane. I am, as called in Dutch, a 'landrot', that means that I prefer solid ground under my feet ;-) Also a friend told me that there are cruises from Amsterdan to Fort Lauderdale. Maybe there are, but not in the period we 'll travel.
Please don't hesitate to mention dos and donts

Question: does http://www.passportamerica.com make sense?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #63

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
What POA tries to do is match the off-time for CGs with camper frugality. It will take you to more off-the-beaten-track places, so if you are more-or-less traveling on a schedule, it might or might not be useful.

Each CG is allowed to set its own rules (when the discount applies, how long, how many sites have it, etc.) and once one understands that and reads the rules for that particular CG, there should be few disappointments, esp if one calls ahead to check availability.

Personally, I found POA to be most useful in the Eastern US because it found a lot of CGs where they might have been scarce. OTOH, in the Western US, there were so many of the rustic CGs which I prefer, that I usually didn't bother looking in the book.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #64

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Lex -

First, NO MATTER WHAT, you will have a WONDERFUL TIME.

Enjoy the concert and don't worry about the background noise.

From 25 Sept to 23 October we did the "cross country" trip - from Sacramento calif to Minnesota (pick up new Scamp) to Niagra Falls, New York, to Vertmont-New Hampshire-Maine-Mass-Connecticut... then back through Colorado (visit friends) and home through New Mexico / Arizona. WONDERFUL TIME.

From Camping World we got a "Camp Club USA" book, which also has 50% off. Again, each campground makes the rules, WHEN and HOW LONG you can stay with the 1/2 price. We used it "when we could". Not always, but often enough it was worth it.

AGREE 100% with Pete's suggestino to get the Wal-Mart atlas. It is something like US$5 or $6. And the list of stores is VERY useful. We would stop and buy supplies as needed. Never camped overnight at wal-mart, though as Pete sez some folks do. If you want to, go into the store and ASK THE STORE MANAGER. The policy varies store-by-store.

Agree also 100% with Pete - from Atlantic to Pacific is HUGE. for example, my daughter lives in Mainz, Germany (near Frankfurt), and it is a one-day drive to Paris, right? If you start in El Paso, Texas and drive east, it is MORE THAN a one day drive just to cross Texas. Same... north From San Diego, CA drive all day and you are still NOT in Ogegon.

You WILL NOT "see everything" - so you have to decide what is important and do THAT.

God Bless, and have a safe journey - AND BE SURE TO TELL US OF YOUR ADVENTURES!!! We will ALL be travelling with you!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #65

Registry
I am busy to get a temporarely liability insurance for the rig during the stay in NA.
In the Netherlands is it quite simple, there is no choice.
In the USA I have to choose:

Question 1:
For liability (my fault) I have to choose between:

$25,000 per person/ $50,000 per incident/ $10,000 property damage
OR
$50,000/100,000/25,000
OR
100,000/300,000/50,000
OR
$250,000/500,000/100,000

What is wise to choose?

Question 2:
[at]motorcycleservices.com states:
"Then you have coverage for your auto with a deductible of $100, $250, $500 or $1,000"

I don't understand this option.
Can anybody explain?

Thanks for help.

PS. These are the forms to complete:
Het betreft de formulieren:
1 http://biod.info/Florida_Application.pdf
2 http://biod.info/PCA-PIP_NOTICE_FL_1003.doc
3 http://biod.info/PCA-UM-FL_(07-03)-Electio...edited_1106.doc
Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #66

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
I try to figure out what is the best way for me (I hate flying) to cross the Atlantic.
I selected 3 options:
1 Fly to Atlanta (10 hrs) + car hire to Jacksonville.
2 Fly to Miami (11 hrs) + car hire or train to Jacksonville.
3 Fly to Washington DC (8:40 hrs) + train to Jacksonville.
Are this realistic options? How about option 3?
Option 3 gives the possibility to embark the rig in Baltimore.
Thanks.
Ciao Lex,

Why not fly to Jacksonville?

From Amsterdam to either Washington or Atlanta with a change to another plane to Jacksonville. Your travel agent should be able to find the best connection. Just be sure you connect in the same airport.

There are two discount camp clubs in the US: Passport America and Camp Club USA. The both operate in about the same way. Look on-line at their member campgrounds to see if either fits your needs and schedule.

The liability insurance question is really a personal choice. Just remember it is to protect [b]your assets in case you cause damage to others. I carry 100,000/300,000,50,000. I think the 25,000/50,000/10,000 is the minimum required by law in most states.

"Then you have coverage for your auto with a deductible of $100, $250, $500 or $1,000"

This is about coverage for physical damage to your vehicle. The deductible is the amount of the damages you have to pay before the insurance starts to pay. I carry $250 deductible.

Note also that liability insurance is only on the tow vehicle, not your trailer. You must have separate physical damage insurance on each vehicle.

I hope this helps. If you and Rita come through New Mexico, come see us (bring Grolsch ).

Best wishes,
Morgan
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #67

Registry
Quote:
(1) Why not fly to Jacksonville?

(2) The liability insurance question is really a personal choice. Just remember it is to protect [b]your assets in case you cause damage to others. I carry 100,000/300,000,50,000. I think the 25,000/50,000/10,000 is the minimum required by law in most states.

(3) "Then you have coverage for your auto with a deductible of $100, $250, $500 or $1,000"
This is about coverage for physical damage to your vehicle. The deductible is the amount of the damages you have to pay before the insurance starts to pay. I carry $250 deductible.

(4) Note also that liability insurance is only on the tow vehicle, not your trailer. You must have separate physical damage insurance on each vehicle.

(5) I hope this helps. If you and Rita come through New Mexico, come see us (bring Grolsch ).
(1) Because I want to minimize flying time.
I am investigating the possibility of crossing th ocean cruising on the Queen mary II from Southhampton to New York ;-)

(2) Does that mean that the last option is a little bit overdone?

(3) Understood :-) We call that "own risk".
It is obliged to insure one's own car?

(4) In Europe it is not possible to get a separate liability insurance (damage to others). When towing, it is covered by the insurance of the towcar.

(5) Sure. Thanks, Morgan.
Please give your address via email ( rilex[at]biod.info )

PS. I did split the quotes, but this board does not allow that. That is the reason for the numbering
Old 01-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #68

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
(1) Because I want to minimize flying time.
I am investigating the possibility of crossing th ocean cruising on the Queen mary II from Southhampton to New York ;-)

(2) Does that mean that the last option is a little bit overdone?

(3) Understood :-) We call that "own risk".
It is obliged to insure one's own car?

(4) In Europe it is not possible to get a separate liability insurance (damage to others). When towing, it is covered by the insurance of the towcar.

(5) Sure. Thanks, Morgan.
Please give your address via email ( rilex[at]biod.info )

PS. I did split the quotes, but this board does not allow that. That is the reason for the numbering
(1)

(2) The amount of liability coverage above the legal minimum is a personal choice. If you have an accident and permanently injure someone, you could face a judgment of more than $1,000,000. The amount above your insurance coverage is your personal obligation. That's why I said it is to protect your assets.

(3) No you are not required by law to insure your own property against physical damage. You are required by law to carry liability insurance. Each state sets the minimum required liability. If you pick up your vehicles in Jacksonville you would get your insurance in Florida, but it would cover you in all states and Canadian Provinces (but not Mexico).

(4) It is the same here.

(5) Will do.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #69

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
For a 5 or 6 month tour, I would plan to see more of the country than what your proposed driving map indicates. And I would avoid the south from mid June until mid September, unless I were staying at high elevation where it's cooler.

I hope you will get to see the Spanish moss covered trees that grow in southern Georgia and Florida.

Summertime is a good time to head back north. You would probably enjoy driving along the Lake Michigan shoreline in the states of Michigan and Wisconsin. Rent a dune buggy for the day and drive on the sand dunes at Silver Lake State Park near Pentwater, and see the Little Sable Lighthouse. Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes is also worth seeing. The Traverse City Cherry Festival starts about July 4th. 4th of July weekend is a big holiday here and most towns set off fireworks; one year we camped at the Petoskey municipal campground on that weekend and could see 3 sets of fireworks at one time (1 was across the bay). The "tunnel of trees" along county road C77 north of Petoskey was pretty. Mackinaw City has an old fort that was once occupied by the French, along with fudge shops and souvenir stores. Take a day trip on the ferry to Mackinaw Island, and rent bikes to ride all the way around this small island where no automobiles are allowed (plan for 10 degrees cooler weather than the mainland). Drive across the mighty Mackinaw Bridge, a suspension bridge that is nearly 5 miles long. Eat a pasty in St. Ignace and buy some smoked fish. Head northwest to Tahquamenon Falls, the largest second largest waterfall east of the Mississippi River (although the largest, Niagara Falls is much, MUCH larger). Head west to Munising and take the boat tour of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore; try to get a calm, sunny day and book the sunset cruise for best photos; the boat captain will keep you laughing with corny jokes. Then go south into Wisconsin and see the Door County Peninsula, sometimes called the Cape Cod of the midwest (the real Cape Cod is in Massachusetts, also worth seeing in summer but I haven't been there so I can't describe it).

If you are enjoying that sort of scenery and weather, from there you could to back NW into Michigan and see Bond Falls and Porcupine Mountains State Park. Head west and see the Apostle Islands Lakeshore (similar to Pictured Rocks) where you can rent kayaks and paddle out on a guided tour. Farther west to Duluth, turn north and explore the many state parks along the Lake Superior shoreline which here has numerous waterfalls, hiking trails, and scenic spots. At one place I found myself at a sheer cliff looking straight down about 200 feet to the water, and some people were rappelling down and climbing back up on the cliff face. Plan about 2 weeks, maybe more if you like, for the above described Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota area.

So much to see! Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. Devil's Tower and Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. By now it's mid to late July and the Going To The Sun Road is open (snow cleared off) in Glacier National Park, Montana. Head north to Canada and see Lake Louise, 800 foot high Takkakaw Falls, and Banff and Jasper National Parks which are the next best thing to Alaska.

Then head back south. Drive to Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland. See the rain forest at Olympic NP. Drive east through the Columbia River Gorge. Head to Salt Lake City and see the Mormon Temple. Even though it is still hot, you don't want to miss the sculpted stone scenery of Utah's many national parks. If you are careful you can stick to campgrounds at 8000 to 10,000 foot elevations and stay cool. You can find campgrounds like this by buying a campground directory (Trailer Life's directory lists the elevations, amenities, previous year's cost, and ratings); check out CGs near Heber City, Roosevelt, Vernal, Fairview, Ferron, Loa, Panguitch, Monticello, etc. You will be amazed by all the sandstone spires, arches, and interesting features in this area. Also duck into SW Colorado and see the ruins at Mesa Verde. In Arizona drive to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

Only then can you proceed to California where you have Yosemite, the redwoods, the Big Sur coastline, and more.

If you take the route you propose, I think you'll find yourselves sitting around in the air conditioning more than you like. You'll miss some of the best scenery we have to offer. You're here, you might as well see as much as possible! No offense meant to the folks in some of the southern states, but I am not as partial to their 'scenery'... I like evergreens and mountains with snow-capped peaks reflecting into crystal lakes, and waterfalls tumbling through chasms and big lakes with freighters passing over the horizon. I'll go south in the winter, not summer.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #70

Registry
Quote:
For a 5 or 6 month tour, I would plan to see more of the country than what your proposed driving map indicates. And I would avoid the south from mid June until mid September, unless I were staying at high elevation where it's cooler.
Michael, thank you for your suggestions
Our plan is to do the route (or like) to San Francisco in about 2.5 months.
So mid june in San Francisco.
Then return to Baltimore or Jacksonville.
We already got a suggestion for the return route.
Maybe part of your suggestions will fit?
http://biod.info/fotoos/naterug.jpg