A perhaps crazy idea for "the trip of our life" - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #81

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Alan, thanks for the Californian weather
Tahoe? Is that not to be missed?

Adrian, what an effort. Thank you very much.
I'm going to print it and study
1 remark: url's that are to long are abbreviated in between and thus not usable.
Lex, the software makes the URL abreviations, but if you click on them, they will work.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #82

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Quote:
Lex, the software makes the URL abreviations, but if you click on them, they will work.
Hi Mike, not all do.

Attached Thumbnails
snapshot2.jpg  
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #83
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yes, Mike. There seems to be a problem with these. They are not just abbreviating the displayed link, but also the url in the code.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #84

Registry
Today a month ago I supplied data to get insurance for the rig in Florida.
And still I 've got no insurance.
The ferry will depart in about 3 weeks.
So I am beginning to be afraid that we will spend our holiday money in Europe. :-(
But Europe is beautifull and interesting, so ....
Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #85

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Lex & Rita - keep on 'em about that insurance. Sure hope your trip unfolds as planned. Save journeys - L 'n D
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #86

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Hi Mike, not all do.
Ooops, I missed your post, sorry.

Usually the URL is messed up when there isn’t a space in front of it. I have fixed many o0f them that way.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #87

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Hi Lex! I think this is a FABULOUS idea! Though the shipping cost seems huge, the savings in lodging for that period of time is tremendous when you have your own setup. And while you could probably rent an apartment or cabins or some other static housing for less, you'd be stuck in one place. That's just no fun!

Last summer/fall my girls and I spent 10 weeks on the road with our little trailer. We stayed in hotels a total of 3 nights during that time. We camped in lots of free campgrounds (we're not picky, and I rather enjoy the less crowded, more rural settings) so our lodging costs were minimal. We also bought the National Parks Pass, which saved us a bundle given all the parks we visited along the way. (The pass pays for entry. Camping fees are extra.)

It seems there are quite a few people looking to purchase fiberglass trailers in this country. Depending upon your rig, and timing, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to sell it here, particularly if you were able to deliver it. (Heck, you're going to be traveling the country anyhow - why not?!)

You can read about our trip and see pictures here. (To read chronologically, start at the bottom of the page.) Basically, we left our home in California July 28 and traveled north to Washington, then headed east through the northern states in August, curved south in the middle of the country in September and returned through the western deserts in late Sept., early Oct. We couldn't have asked for better weather. Mild everywhere, never too hot, never too cold and only too wet two days (in Glacier National Park where the weather can turn on any given day).

For coastal California, I strongly suggest visiting in the fall. IN early October, the summer fog pushes out to sea for the season, so the views are the best, but the temperatures are still very warm and there's seldom any rain at that time of the year. Then again, I hear that's a fabulous time to be in the northeast with all those leaves changing color. (That's our NEXT big trip!)

Best of luck and let me know if there's any information I can provide during your planning stage!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #88

Registry
Question

Wow, Adrian, that was a WEALTH of information! Thanks for taking the TIME to post it here for all of us to use!

Jen

Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #89

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Lex, what company is the insurance carrier that you are trying to get coverage from? A North American company or a European one?

If North American, perhaps someone here can help you with the process by bugging them with phone calls... I do hope you can work it out in time!

I was fortunate when I lived in Europe because my US insurance company also writes policies in Europe and elsewhere, so something like this would have been simple for me.

I'd volunteer myself, but am currently unable to talk due to recent oral cancer surgery, my tracheostomy tube and the missing parts of my tongue! That should change in the not far future when the throat swelling has gone down and I can go to talking school to learn how to talk again (my vocal cords are intact). After that, maybe I can learn how to spit again!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:42 AM   #90

Registry
All: thanks for your replies.

Pete, it is a NA insurance (Florida, because the rig will arrive there).
For reasons I don't know our regular insurance is not valid or expandable for NA.
Jan 22 I delivered the application forms etc. at motorcycleservices.com .
A week later I was informed that the procedure to get a quote would last 2 weeks.
After 3 weeks I was told that the underwriter starts action not before feb 18 because I requested the insurance to start april 18 (the date the rig is scheduled to arrive).
If I had known that before, I had requested to start the insurance earlier, p.e. april 1.
We like to book on the QM II to cross the Atlantic. And we can't book before we are sure of getting insurance.
Our first choice accomodation is not available anymore. There is still an alternative, but for how long?
Our dilemma: take the gamble and book or wait untill the insurance is ready.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #91

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Lex... Why does a good thing have to be so difficult???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #92

Registry
Thumbs up

I'm sure I'm missing something here. Our trailer is covered under the insurance of whatever vehicles is towing it, according to my insurance carrier. Is this not so for others of you?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #93

Registry
Quote:
I'm sure I'm missing something here. Our trailer is covered under the insurance of whatever vehicles is towing it, according to my insurance carrier. Is this not so for others of you?
It is. So in fact I am waiting for insurance of the car.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #94

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
TO ALL -

is there an Insurance Agent in the House???? Anyone who can cut some red tape???

Quote:
It is. So in fact I am waiting for insurance of the car.
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #95

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
Not totally correct. The trailer is covered by the tow vehicle's insurance, except for Collision and Comprehensive portions. In other words, you should be insuring the trailer for those two items, presuming you do not wish to "self-insure". At least, that is the case in my state (Colorado). Perhaps, JenPB, your state requirement is different.

As to the dollar limits that Lex mentioned and was offered, I would go to the high end since the premium charge does not increase in direct proportion to the dollar amount. Cheap peace of mind, because, heaven forbid, you have an accident, you find that you are immediately dealing with the other insurance company's nasty law firm trying to prove that you caused the accident even though the police report indicates otherwise. (Says he, with my sincere apologies to our attorney members.)

Something else that may have been already mentioned, be sure to bring evidence of clear title on both vehicles (or written approval of any lien holder). I'm guessing that Lex is already providing evidence of title to the carrier who will be transporting the vehicles.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #96

Actually, like Full Timers, Lex should carry the titles for tow vehicle and trailer, or have them easily available in the hands of a friend to be DHL'd to the US. Reason is that if there is, heaven forbid, any kind of serious wreck (or a wild offer to buy something), the titles will not be locked up at home where no one can get them.

If one lives on the road, or is very far from home, it will often make more sense to get rid of the whatever than to fix it and ship it back.

Even the kid on a motorcycle I met in Utah, who shipped his bike from Belgium to Argentina and was then riding from there to Alaska, planned to ride back to Calif and sell the bike (hopefully at a premium price because it was a rarity model for North America), rather than ship it back.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #97

Registry
Today we got a quote for an insurance :-)
So booking may start now :-)
Old 02-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #98

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
Lex,

Great news on the insurance. Last Saturday, I spotted this European camper at Roper Lake State Park in Safford, AZ. It was from "CH". They probably paid more for insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
MAN_Evolution_Camper.JPG  
Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #99

CH is Switzerland -- I saw a number of rigs along these lines when I was up in Alaska.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #100

Registry
Most things have been arranged now.
March 25 Hoegh Autoliner Trubadour will start her sail to Jacksonville, bound to arrive april 22.
By some cause the sail is delayed a week. :-(
April 7 our daughter c.s. will drive us to Southampton to embark the QM II on april 8.
The QM II is scheduled to arrive in NY april 14 in the morning.
We 'll move to Penn Statiion to catch the 15h train to Jacksonville, arrival 10h april 15 at Amtrak station.
(We 'll visit NY before returning home oct 9.)
So we 'll have to spend a week in Florida before we 'll get the rig on US roads.
We 'll hire a car to 'do' Florida for a week.
Any suggestions? (Everglades, Miami, Key Largo, Space center ?)
Probably we 'll head for New Orleans april 23.