A prisoner in my own trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am not afraid of dogs so I would have been knocking on their door. That is total bull! I have pets and I do everything to keep them out of other peoples hair, they may drive me crazy (cause I love them) but I refuse to let them drive others crazy. This is a huge pet peeve of mine, Bad Pet Owners!

Boat/fog horn available at Walmart in the rv/boating isle. A few blast of the horn and the bad pet owners would have been out of their rig in a heart beat . I personally carry one in the Casita, just in case someone try's to break in at night! Figure freak them out as bad as they would freak me out if they were messing around the trailer at night. If the horn doesn't send them running, I figure my shaking gun hand will .

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Petco carries a product called "Pet Corrector." It is basically an air cannister that has a nozzle that emits a loud blast of air. It's expensive ($14.00 for a very small can) but the nozzle can be removed and re-used on inexpensive cans of air like those used to clean computer keyboards. I have a dog that is an incessant barker. With a blast of the Pet Corrector (and you don't need to point the can toward the animal), she will immediately stop her barking - and it does not cause any harm. So far, it works and I don't have to use it very often.

I have no connection with Petco or Pet Corrector - just a satisfied user.

BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #17
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
RE: Pet Correcter:

MY blast of air is: "Lass! Lass! Quit it!" since I knew her name. However, she is now deaf and partly blind so when she parks herself on our yard I scoop her up and bring her next door.

Roaming dogs I don't know I tell, "Scat! Scat! Go home!"

If they are trained, at all, by human owners, they move on.

When repairing our fence last year there was a gap and a big barking aggressive dog put his head between the slats to snarl and growl and bark. I said. "You BAD dog!" And he hung his head in shame and went home. He had been socialized, at least a bit.

If dogs have not been trained at all by their pack, their owners, their family, nothing will help.

They feel, maybe rightly so, that nobody is there to protect or guide them. Be afraid of their owners, their humans, who also feel they are in the world alone with nothing but fangs and aggression to protect them.

CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #18
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"

When we lived in the Midwest, the neighbors had a dog. They kept it fenced in, but when I rode my lawn mower past their fence, the dog would come charging out at me and scare the bejeebers out of me. Being a boat owner at the time, I tried the air horn - didn't do a thing. Never did solve the problem. Just moved 2000 miles away from it. LOL
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #19
Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
**But they can only do something when they see it.**

At that point, politely say that that answer is wrong and say - "Just to remind you, as of now YOU are on notice that and if there are any attacks, you WILL be held 100% liable in addition to the dog owner. It really is in YOUR best interest to take care of the situation NOW - BEFORE something happens."

Be polite, frim and assertive. People cannot walk all over you unless you lie down on the ground FOR them.

We are working at the Bakersfield fairgrounds. The security said, yes, that is a problem that is common and if they catch the dog off the leash they talk once to the owner and then call the dog catcher. But they can only do something when they see it. She said it is a hopeless task to make the owners keep their dogs on leashes.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Red face

..... We keep a small air horn in the trailer to be able to make noise and to keep animals away; mainly while hiking, but in camp would work as well. Something like this, but ours is much smaller and we got it at Wal-mart. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...;rid=0123456789
Also I am considering getting some sort of pepper spray to keep in the trailer for hiking as well. But the one item dogs do not like is an umbrella, they are afraid of the opening of an umbrella, not up above your head but in from of you. The meter readers carry one.

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
2015 Lance 1985 ~ Casita de Campo ~23' 4"
~Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote