Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
I forgot to put Rv antifreeze in my tank and flush the system before the cold set in....as soon as temps got warm again I put the anti freeze in the tank and turned on my pump for the water faucet (the only plumbing I have, no bathroom, hot water heater,etc.) It ran through nicely and the antifreeze, pink in color, filled the tub but woundn't drain out. Looks like my system is free of ice except the drain. Will the antifreeze eventually melt that ice away and out the drain? Could I have damaged anything by not doing this sooner?

Thanks for any help here...Lloyd

Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Look under the trailer and see if you can see the trap from the tub. If you can see it look closely for cracks.
And also look in any other low spots in the drain line.

Bill K
Toledo

Quote:
I forgot to put Rv antifreeze in my tank and flush the system before the cold set in....as soon as temps got warm again I put the anti freeze in the tank and turned on my pump for the water faucet (the only plumbing I have, no bathroom, hot water heater,etc.) It ran through nicely and the antifreeze, pink in color, filled the tub but woundn't drain out. Looks like my system is free of ice except the drain. Will the antifreeze eventually melt that ice away and out the drain? Could I have damaged anything by not doing this sooner?

Thanks for any help here...Lloyd

Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Look under the trailer and see if you can see the trap from the tub. If you can see it look closely for cracks.
And also look in any other low spots in the drain line.

Bill K
Toledo
Bill, I will do that...I just checked the sink basin and it hasn't gone down an inch...still full of antifreeze,,,would that mean the drain system is blocked with ice? I can't understand how there would be ice when the water in the tank passed through to the faucet without a problem.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #4

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I agree with Bill, based on what you've posted. The problem with pipes freezing is that water expands as it freezes. Since it sounds like there was frozen water in the drain, then there is the potential that expansion damaged a pipe or fitting.

At this point, the damage is probably done, but I might want to get under there and thaw things so that the anti-freeze will flow in (and to see what damage there might be). If it were March, I might say just to wait (and you still could just wait, of course).

If you do go under to thaw things, be aware that fires do get started by people who use a torch or etc. I would recommend either a hairdryer or perhaps a hot washcloth wrapped around the frozen spot. Of course you can use a heatgun too, but you have to be more careful and there is the potential to wreck something.

Since you have no bathroom, when you say "tub," do you mean sink basin? I can't remember how the Trillium sink drain is set up, but you may have a flexible hose instead of a rigid pipe. Maybe you got lucky and there is a frozen clog but no break.

In spring you'll want to double check for leaks in the tank, lines, and pump leading up to the faucet as well, just to be sure everything made it through okay.

Raya

Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #5

Raya, it's a 13 ft. and the "tub" is really a small sink basin. I will check it out as closely as I can. Hopefully, like you said, maybe I have a drain hose instead of a pipe. I just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't drain when the ice should have thawed after a week of 40s and 50s but then again it may take a whlle for that to thaw. thanks for your advice....Lloyd
Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 1994 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
sounds like your "P" Trap is frozen in the sink..... that trap hold water in it to keep gasses from the grey tank entering back into your living area..... If your handy just put a bucket under the "P" trap and take it off and thaw it out inside the house..... you could also just take a blow dryer and direct it at the lower section of the trap for maybe 20 minutes.... it cost nothing to try this.
Joe
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #7

Oops..... Double Hit
Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Oops..... Double Hit
Joe, I have a heat gun....I will do it....and be careful not to overheat anything...thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #9

Lloyd...
Hope it works.... post back.
If you do decide to take the "P"Trap off it's just a little outer nut on each end of the trap that you can usually turn by hand...its very easy.
good luck and in the future when you winterize be sure to put about a cup of the pink stuff in the drain to fill the trap with RV antifreeze. It's good to get a little in the grey tank so the outside dump valve doesn't freeze up
Joe
Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #10

Joe, once the p trap is clear, should I run the faucet for a few minutes, turn it off and just leave the antifreeze in the grey water tank and plumbing system? Should I drain the grey tank and empty it after this procedure or should I leave the antifreeze in the system until spring? As I may have mentioned it is our first RV, haven't had it a year yet and never had to winterize anything before. I knew I needed to do it last summer but forgot completely about it since it's on an RV lot away from my home.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #11

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Lloyd, if you have a "typical" Trillium 13 with no bathroom, do you even have a "grey" tank? That would be a tank for storing sink drain water, btw.

I think normally you would just have a water tank (for your water supply), a pump to supply the sink, and a drain from the sink to the outdoors. Of course there would be piping/hosing in between those components.

You may not even have a trap, but that depends on the installation. You don't really need a trap if you have no grey tank, as there are no odors to avoid (i.e. no smelly grey or black tank).

I would just have a look up under the kitchen sink drain to see what is there, and give it a shot with a hair dryer (less likely to burn something with that than a heat gun).

The main idea is that anywhere you have water, you have to have antifreeze mixed in with it (or pure antifreeze). If you can empty anything of water completely, you are fine (air will not damage anything if it freezes). So, if things are *for sure* empty of water, you don't need to put antifreeze in. Anything that does or might have water in it, gets antifreeze, which you do not remove until freezing is past.

I have often put in antifreeze, then blown the system out. That way I have all or mostly air, but any liquid that does remain will not freeze. I prefer this to having tanks sitting full of fluids.

You have to make sure to flush well in spring, because the antifreeze will foam and taste funny (why I would rather empty a tank if possible).

Raya
Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #12

Raya, shows you what I know about the term gray tank.....I have a tank that only supplies water to the kitchen sink for washing dishes,etc. It's just a water supply tank....I am about to go visit the Trillium and see what is under the basin....I will get back to you later and please check this posting in a couple of hours....thanks...Lloyd
Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Joe, once the p trap is clear, should I run the faucet for a few minutes, turn it off and just leave the antifreeze in the grey water tank and plumbing system? Should I drain the grey tank and empty it after this procedure or should I leave the antifreeze in the system until spring? Drain it because you diluted the rv antifreeze with water....it's not like car anti freeze... when emptied just put enough rv antifreeze in to go thru the P trap and have some down at the dump valve if you have a grey tank.....this will protect the dump valve. less than a 1/4 gallon total
Joe

As I may have mentioned it is our first RV, haven't had it a year yet and never had to winterize anything before. I knew I needed to do it last summer but forgot completely about it since it's on an RV lot away from my home.
By the way Raya has good advice and there might not even be a grey tank which may or may not have a P trap then..... If your not sure what a P trap is look under any sink in your house and that bent thing like a sideways S shape is the P trap
Old 01-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lloyd, if you have a grey/black tank you would have had to empty it as some point. So if there is a grey/black tank the sewer connection on the outside (usually) road side of the trailer where you would hook up to a sewer dump to empty.

If not, I would think it's like Raya and Joe suggested, a hose that just drains.

But I have a question?
If that's how his water drains away aren't you suppose to catch that water and dispose of it correctly rather than letting it go on the ground?