A question for 21' Bigfoot owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
I appears that my 2005 21' RB Bigfoot has a radio antenna on the roof. It also has speakers in the cabinet facing over the table. So I am guessing it is pre-wired to install a car type radio. Where is the wiring? I don't want to start tearing out panels to find it.

I know about the hook up for the TV antenna and the cable connection over the cabinet by the door. They work great. But I would like to maybe install a radio if it was not too big a job.

Clue me in and you will get a big load of "Thanks" in my next reply.

Texas Charles
Charles Richerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Also, how the heck does satellite radio work? Is it hard to install?
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Charles, you are correct in presuming that it is pre-wired. The cloth panel in the cabinets over the dinette (or wherever yours is pre-wired) has a cut-out in the fiber board behind it that is the size of a DIN radio (or it was until the '07s were released... now they're using some huge gizmo). The wiring can be found by opening one of the storage doors and looking and feeling to the center. There should be both 12v and speaker wires there, as well as the antenna lead.

You can use a singe-edge razor blade or X-Acto knife to cut the fabric just about 1/4" smaller than the DIN-sized opening. That will cause the fabric to slide in and be trapped between the radio and the fiberboard giving a nice, snug fit as well as keeping the fabric taught. The radio faceplate is large enough to give the finished look.

I used a Sony radio for my installation which used a metal frame that slides into the opening and wedges in with tabs, and then the radio slides into that frame and locks. The entire installation, including the wiring took less than 30 minutes, and I really took my time when I did it. It's easy to do.

You may want to use a 1"x1" (or so) piece of wood and glue it to the bottom of the cabinet to support the rear of the radio once it's installed.

Good luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
Thank you for the info Roger. I wondered about how it was wired but didn't want to go cutting without knowing for sure just where the wires led to. I figured if it was pre-wired it had to be at the overhead cabinet. But I wasn't sure it was pre-wired. Knowing what type of radio to purchase helps also. My trailer is a 2005 so the "DIN" radio should work. I am guessing the store will know or the box will say if the radio is a "DIN".

My trailer is stored at a storage building. I will go there tomorrow and check that location out before buying a radio.

Roger here are my big THANKS for the information.

Texas Charles
Charles Richerson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot