A question for the forum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
A question for the forum

Ok,
Ya'll have been unbelievably helpful with your opinions and advise. Thank you.
I am an audiophile, I love music. One of my hobbies is tinkering with stereos, either in my vehicles or my house.
My question for ya'll is, if we where to offer a stereo system in the Lil Snoozy as an option, how many would be interested in it? How much would you be willing to budget for it? Would an inexpensive 2 speak setup be preferd over a high end, multi channel, high quality system?

Thanks
Nicholas
LiL Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Hi Nicholas,
I carry my mp3 player and headphones just in case i decide to listen to music. A stereo system played in the trailer would just be another source of noise I would be concerned would bother my camper neighbors. A stereo in the trailer would inevitably be turned up by many to be heard at the picnic table (and beyond). However, I am a minimalist camper and never hook to power or water when in a campground so I may be the exception.
Good luck with your new business. I like what I see and wish you well.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi nicholas.... for me, i would find a stereo a nice addition...but not a high-end one. i would use it to listen to radio...and perhaps to play some cds...but i'd not want to spend a lot of extra $$$ on it.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Nick
This is the business I am in.
I may be the only one with an actual "High End" system in an Egg although I certainly hope not?
We spoke at some length the other day as the Tornado sirens were sounding here.
Feel free to P.M. me if you want to talk about it,I may be able to help on a few levels.

The key here as always is to get good sound at low listening levels and the rest will always follow,every time.

Ed

Needless to say I am all over A/V in an Egg.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My vote would be for inexpensive 2 speak setup.

I don't know about price point, but i do know A-liner charges about $428 for a Weatherproof AM/FM stereo with 2 in and 2 outdoor speakers and I-Pod Connection.

I see Escape charges 300 CAD for a Stereo/DVD Player.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's enough noise in many campgrounds as it is. I vote for NO. I do have we carry our ipod but rarely use them. And as pointed out above somebody always thinks they know the kind of music everybody should listen to.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #7

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
I for one like to listen to music and always respect those around regarding the level. I would find a stereo/cd combo a nice addition but a 2-speaker system would be more than adequate. Of course my truck has a 7 speaker system in much less space. I also am hooked on XM radio and it would be nice to have the capability to hook my portable unit up to it as well. Not a big deal as I carry a XM Radio boom box with me.

Great idea in my opinion. Even better than tv since I can go years without ever watching tv (or movies)
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
It would be nice to have a system built in to save space on flat surfaces and to bury the wiring in the walls.
I'd make it a car type AM FM receiver with USB and MP3 player inputs.
It's up to the owner to be polite and tasteful when camping around others.
That said, I have little faith in humanity when it comes to repect for others as I observe it in the form of Harley riders and their obnoxiously loud pipes.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
To me, a cheap-o stereo is more of an irritation than entertainment. My current trailer came with one (runs off the battery, which is convenient), but it's not much fun to listen to. MP3 with headphones is more enjoyable.

You'll never please everyone if you offer just one stereo option, though. So why not have options for both a basic unit and a really good premium one? Eventually, anyway. No one expects you to do it all tomorrow.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
AM/FM CD and a input for XM, 2 speakers are good but 4 would be even better.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Hi Nicholas, as you might have expected when you asked the question we have diverse opinions and tastes.

Have you or would you consider a built in satellite radio option with a USB port to play and charge an Ipod/Ipad/iPhone?

Apple is reported to have sold 18 million iphones, 9 million iPods and 4 and a half million iPads in Q2 2011. Some of your potential customers are bound to have one of those in their travel kit!!

If you were to provide an old skool "stereo" option and I were your customer I'd want to see a leading brand name instead of the junk that seems so prevalent in the RV world.

Thanks for asking for our input, best of luck with your business.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
I vote for offering two levels.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I vote for a small two speaker system that has a radio and Ipod/iphone dock as I dont carry CD's anymore. Actually dont know a lot of people who still use CD's in their cars or trailers. Doesnt need a lot of power due to the small space but needs to sound good on low. A friend gave me a small Bose Sound Dock system for my trailer but its power was a bit wasted in the small trailer space so I ended up using it in the house and got a small system with less power for the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #14

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
If you offer a stereo system option, I suggest one that has a universal MP3 player input. Alternately, you could offer a pre-wired setup for power and 4 speakers. Saves the hassle of running cables and lets customer install whatever system easily.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Jensen makes great rv products, I saw one of these- looks nice on the outside of a trailer and eliminates the need for an exterior electric outlet
OEC3010 - JENSEN Outside Entertainment Stereo System
and this one I just installed in my Egg- it has a weather radio, with SAME, a must for someone exposed to the weather as we are in a trailer
JHD910PKG - JENSEN Heavy Duty MINI Waterproof Radio Package
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Jensen is a company owned by Audiovox,a giant electronics Company gobbling up others.
They recently bought Klipsch as an example.

In the business they are not considered a Top Tier Manufacturer but rather a gimmicky value brand.
They also produce OEM equipment for a lot of industries including the RV industry.\They do offer some interesting niche products but are not that well made from my experience.

I will also say to the original posters comment about s/n ratio spec'd low.......not too relevant to how the unit will sound really.
All of these mobile radios sound more alike than different at a given price point.
The published Spec. is not reliable or important really.

As for AV Performance you really do get what you pay for as with most things.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Audiovox, that's just above Kraco, but not by much.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
All I know is that Jensen tv's are made for rv/marine use and are a step above Audiovox, Jensen seals their components in waterproof resin and use metal frames vs plastic for their rv/marine line. I assume their radio's have similar qualities. Similar to Airstream being part of Thor, sometimes the quality remain in mergers, but not always.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I vote for a small two speaker system that has a radio and Ipod/iphone dock as I dont carry CD's anymore. Actually dont know a lot of people who still use CD's in their cars or trailers.
Ahem.
I have an Audio Cassette Deck and a CD player in my Odyssey, and I still use both of them, especially on cross-country trips to augment when FM Radio isn't to my liking. I don't subscribe to Satellite Radio, and I don't have an iAnything.

I vote for a system with wireless headphones instead of speakers.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #20

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
If you provide a head unit that also has a video output, there is an option for you or the customer to install a monitor for watching movies.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote