A question for the forum - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Ahem.
I have an Audio Cassette Deck and a CD player in my Odyssey, and I still use both of them, especially on cross-country trips to augment when FM Radio isn't to my liking. I don't subscribe to Satellite Radio, and I don't have an iAnything.

I vote for a system with wireless headphones instead of speakers.
What no "iLife" ?!?!

How do you survive?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #22

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Our 5.0 came with an owner provided, Escape installed Pioneer(in dash) Audio system w/ CD player. It has graphic eq's.+ bells and whistles... and a 40pg. instruction manual needed to program the clock. Two huge black speakers in the rear dinette cabinette with enough base to drive you thru the bed loft. We hardly use it as we're usually to busy showing "Our Escape Hatch" to inquiring minds!!! Nice to have tho.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
phpEiQG2CPM.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #23

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I am not really interested in having audio equipment while camping, but if I were, I would definitely echo the previous comment about the importance of iPod/iPhone compatibility.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Well Fred, it looks like me and you are in the minority as I dont have an iAnything either, lol. Shoot, I dont even have a cell phone other than an emergency only tracfone I keep in the console. I cant stand those things always ringing and having to hear e'body elses conversation esp in small quarters like a dentist or doctor's waiting room! And why is e'body's ringers up so dang loud??? When I'm in my vehicle that is my time and there isnt anything that important that cant wait. I do have voicemail at home and I'll call back at my convenience. I dont need to be bothered when I'm driving. I want one of those bumper stickers that say "Hang up and Drive". Too many grown adults texting so they wander into my lane or we miss a turn arrow b/c they're texting.

Ok, I'm done now, lol.

Melissa

Quote:
Ahem.
I have an Audio Cassette Deck and a CD player in my Odyssey, and I still use both of them, especially on cross-country trips to augment when FM Radio isn't to my liking. I don't subscribe to Satellite Radio, and I don't have an iAnything.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:

Fred, I think you can adapt an inexpensive wireless headphone set to any receiver or audio source that has an existing audio "out" port and you have a handy power source (there are also blue tooth options). So what you're looking for is most likely available to you now without going outside your comfort zone, technology wise.

Or this option
Attached Images

mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
I just wanted add that I think it's a testament to this board and it's participants that a manufacturer sees value in our input.
Imagine if all the manufacturers paid close attention to our discussions regarding all the modifications we make to our rigs - how much and how quickly would the industry evolve?
I can hardly wait to see what the next generation of RV’ing will look like when it comes along.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #27

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
My setup in my Casita is pretty barebones but works well. I hung a couple of small Sony speakers above the bed in back. And to power them, I use a simple amp with a jack for my MP3 player. The best amp, strangely enough, turned out to be a motorcycle unit. Unlike most car stereos, it doesn't need a "keep alive" constant connection to the battery. Here's an example of the amp at Amazon:

Amazon.com: Pyle PLMCA25U Mini Motorcycle/ATV/Snowmobile Amplifier: Automotive
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
I just wanted add that I think it's a testament to this board and it's participants that a manufacturer sees value in our input.
Imagine if all the manufacturers paid close attention to our discussions regarding all the modifications we make to our rigs - how much and how quickly would the industry evolve?
I can hardly wait to see what the next generation of RV’ing will look like when it comes along.
"times x 2"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #29

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I know nothing about any of this, but what if you offered an optional basic system and then offer the INSTALLATION of a system if a discerning buyer is keen on having his dream setup?
He/she could provide the specs and request placement of speakers, etc. at some point during construction and bring the system in at pickup for installation if he/she couldn't do it at home. I've seen car audio systems thrown in in about 5 mins.
It probably wouldn't be cost or time effective, though.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #30

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
I think if you look to the European RV market that is exactly what we can expect next?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #31

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
I know nothing about any of this, but what if you offered an optional basic system and then offer the INSTALLATION of a system if a discerning buyer is keen on having his dream setup?
He/she could provide the specs and request placement of speakers, etc. at some point during construction and bring the system in at pickup for installation if he/she couldn't do it at home. I've seen car audio systems thrown in in about 5 mins.
It probably wouldn't be cost or time effective, though.
I think you answered your own question, too many variables with providing your own system for the builder to install. Better to have the builder offer 1-3 alternatives and then you pick the one you like best. That way the builder already knows the variables based upon his choice vs your choice.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #32

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:

The "RV" industry as a whole has been offering such upgrades, it's just the small glass market is behind (But not completely their fault) ....... Many large Rv manufactures have offered these upgrades for years.

The reason I say not completely the glass manufactures fault is, molded glass travel trailers as a whole have always been for the bare bones type campers. (That is changing somewhat) Granted there are several even more bare bones options out there.
The fiberglass market was for a different type of consumer. Not made for people looking for the luxury's/amenities of life to invade their camping time. But as with all good things, the world of glass is changing. So as more of us that like to rv and want more of the amenities/luxury items along with us on our journey. The more manufactures are going to have to respond.

It's only just now becoming apparent to people that they can actually "rv" with in an egg. (HELLO) and as gas prices, the economy changes, Eggs will become even more popular. But the segment of the growth has probably been more towards those of us who choose to rv in a smaller unit but still want some amenities of the larger rvs.

So as the wants and needs of the egg consumer is changing, the glass manufactures will begin to follow suit.

Having only been in the egg world a few years, I can't say for sure but would assume that more experienced egg'ers have seen a huge change in who their fellow egg camper is as well as seen the product itself evolve.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #33

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
The "RV" industry as a whole has been offering such upgrades, it's just the small glass market is behind (But not completely their fault) ....... Many large Rv manufactures have offered these upgrades for years.
My last 2 campers- 2009 T@da made by Dutchmen- had few factory options and no upgrades. My 2010 Lance offered some options that were in the Lance truck campers. But no upgrades. Don't even try to ask Airstream to change one of their models, that is why some of the older ones are in high demand, the newer ones are all the same. I wanted a smaller a/c unit for generator reasons, they said they would not make an Airstream without 13,500 a/c!!
I think Lil Snoozy and Parkliner and Egg Camper as well as Escape will try to give you what you want. Scamp and Casita's seem less flexible- due to their high demand.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Ahem.

hehe well Frederick if you were to ever decide to make the jump to an IPod or other MP3 player you could take along hundreds more audio books and albums which would take up less space than what you have now. Thats what I love about them - less stuff in the small trailer

Melissa its actually illegal here to text or talk with a mobile phone while driving. It has to be totally blue tooth hands free or nothing. If you dont have a blue tooth you have to stop to take a call or text - the silly part of that is some people think it is ok to just stop in the lane they are in put on their flashers and take a call! Pretend they are calling for help but then hang up the phone and drive off. Hard to believe it when you see it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #35

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My last 2 campers- 2009 T@da made by Dutchmen- had few factory options and no upgrades. My 2010 Lance offered some options that were in the Lance truck campers. But no upgrades.

My statement still stands, the RV industry has been offering options for many years.............. I should have clarified as well as the nitch market rv's, that the entry level Rv market hasn't been on board as quickly either.

Though I will say they are far faster to offer such upgrades than the nitch market. But assume that yet another reason other than what I said before is, like you said certain "nitch" manufactures have high demand for their product. I guess the old saying if it isn't broke, why fix it? But still believe as the new breed of rv consumers ask for/demand even they will implement certain upgrades.

I can remember in the not so distant past, a "nitch" manufacture offering upgrades that a lot of people on this forum thought were unnecessary. So I suppose we should be Thankful that we can camp/rv however/in whatever fits our needs.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #36

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...This whole issue is why I admire Escape Trailers. Their build it your way policy is their strength. They have an extensive standard equip. list, a short option list, and an unseen mods. list. I think its been years if ever since they built a standard unit.
Their lineup is in a constant state of flux as if Reace sees value in an owners wants he may just add it to their lists. I wish more manufacturers of consumer products listened to their customers!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I wouldnt be interested in the stereo option.

As others have said, too much noise already.
Besides, I have a TV and a portable sat. dish. Im more likely to turn the TV on than listen to the radio.

I also have a spare battery and solar panel to keep that charged to run the TV and receiver.

So a radio is not likely to be an option I would use.

But thanks again for asking. I d be interested in stopping in and visiting your factory when I get back to Vero Beach to see my parents.
genebland is offline   Reply With Quote