A Reason to Travel by RV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Long distance drives can be faster without the trailer. And staying at motels, after 10 or 12 hrs. on the road there is something to be said for 0 set up, 0 meal prep. Hit a restaurant then hit the sack. Next morning on the road after a quick shower.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I guess I like roughing it. When not traveling with the herd, (family) I travel in a 95 Firefly, called the Metallic Smurf. When I get tired, I pull over someplace, and sleep. Not the best sleep, but enough to recharge me for another 10 or so hours of driving.

This is what I call fun, YMMV.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I guess I like roughing it. When not traveling with the herd, (family) I travel in a 95 Firefly, called the Metallic Smurf. When I get tired, I pull over someplace, and sleep. Not the best sleep, but enough to recharge me for another 10 or so hours of driving.

This is what I call fun, YMMV.
Been there, done that, wife says if I want to do it again send her a postcard.

Together we have done straight through trips to both Fla. and Colo. pull over and nap if we are both tired or just switch drivers. She has no interest in doing it anymore, and I'm not that crazy to give it another run.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Long range driving

Like most, when we were working and had limited free time we did the straight thru runs. Now that's no longer necessary. I've stayed in too many motels and hotels, as nice as they can be they are not 'wonder full'.

When we bought our Scamp in FL we had to drive back to pick it up. We spent a couple of nights in motels. My sister-in-law who works for Marriott got us beautiful rooms. Unfortunately they had king sized beds and a really lonely feeling.

Give me a campground every time, my cozy bed and my favorite breakfast.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #25

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I've found that it has to be more than a day's drive to justify flying as s time saver. My weekly commute from Pittsburg to South Carolina takes 7 hours flying (with the drive to the airport, security/early arrival prior to flight & layover between legs). It's 8 hours door to door with my car and I get to control my departure time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #26

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Ron I agree, though it has to be a very long days drive to justify dealing with planes and airports for me. And often as not it might be a two days drive to get me to switch. Heck it was a 3 day drive for us to tour the Oliver plant and yet we still drove and towed our humble little T@b.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I've found that it has to be more than a day's drive to justify flying as s time saver. My weekly commute from Pittsburg to South Carolina takes 7 hours flying (with the drive to the airport, security/early arrival prior to flight & layover between legs). It's 8 hours door to door with my car and I get to control my departure time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are some pretty small cars out there and it seems like some might even get through a metal detector nowadays, but they won't yet fit in the overhead compartment.
So it looks like you might still have to rent a car when you get to your destination.(and find lodging). Advantage...RV!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #28

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Being able to take what ever route appears in front of me is much more enjoyable than being cramped in a "cattle car" called an airplane. How can one stop and smell th' roses while flyin' at 30K feet?
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote