A short boler bio - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Here is a mix of photos that are before and after . I found this boler on kijiji . it was being offered for free . A very kind old lady gave it to me . It used to belong to her husband . He used it as an observation station , he was an avid astronomer . When i first saw it , it was perched on a round paved hellicopter type pad . I had to remove a motor from the rear and a driveshaft that run down the middle to the front . he also made a large hole in the floor next to the axle , up through the floor came a 10 " steel pipe . This was the pivot point at which enabled him to rotate the camper electrically to get the best view of the stars . He made an even larger hole in the roof and fashioned a sliding hatch where he put his telescope through . In order for me to take it , the deal was to take everything in it as well . there was an old heavy TV and so much crap that it nearly filled my pickup . I had to enlist two of my friends to help lift it off the pipe . We , i mean the three of us had to lift one side high enough to get it over the pipe . it got so tilted on one wheel that i thought it was surely going to fall on it's side . I would have had pictures of this but my camera broke that very day .
Attached Thumbnails
phpZaSW7YPM.jpg   phpz5KMqaPM.jpg  

phpWXMVLbPM.jpg   phpwq4PukPM.jpg  

phpUn96z3PM.jpg   phprNExCqPM.jpg  

phpR3HfWXPM.jpg  

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #2

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Perry Who said "you can't make a silk purse out a sows ear". You have truly worked a miracle in the restoration from what you had to what we see now. Congratulations on converting your boler from "salvage" Boler to a beautiful vintage Boler. Lee

Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wow, you were given a project trailer, but it looks like your doing a great job turning it into your perfect trailer. Keep up the great work. Great Pic's! And for sure keep posting pic's of your projects. Hope your documenting all your hard work, both thru pic's and value.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
How cool is that, to know your trailer has that kind of history. The only thing I can say about mine, is it's been places I've never been and maybe never will....

Nice lady also, to give you a chance to rehabilitate the trailer. If she ever saw it again, she'd know she made the right decision
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #5

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Perry MacDonald... Thanks for the "Observations" of your project Boler. I only hope ours comes out as nice!!! I won't know till the weather warms how bad ours really is.
What interior/exterior paints did you use???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Duct_Tape_repair.jpg   YIKES___.jpg  

Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Hi: Perry MacDonald... Thanks for the "Observations" of your project Boler. I only hope ours comes out as nice!!! I won't know till the weather warms how bad ours really is.
I used a good quality latex paint on the interior walls and used a oil based paint such as Tremclad for the exterior . It doesn't look it but the exterior paint is tinted a very light blue . I rolled it on and brushed the edges . I used two coats but it needs a third one . Ideally i should have thinned the paint 50% and put multiple coats on , this would have given it a near perfect finish . I was a little pressed for time trying to get it ready for bolerama at Emily park last year . but unfortunatly i didn't make it . My ford ranger is done the same way , i used Tremclad white , it to needs one more coat , so in the spring i'll get at it .
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
I know that you will do a great job , you have to believe in yourself . Patience , time and determination , equals a quality job . hope to see you at Wagons ho in Earlton .
Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
How cool is that, to know your trailer has that kind of history. The only thing I can say about mine, is it's been places I've never been and maybe never will....

Nice lady also, to give you a chance to rehabilitate the trailer. If she ever saw it again, she'd know she made the right decision
I did take boler back to her house so she could see it . She was totally amazed at what i acomplished . I told her that when it gets finished i will make a portfolio of the work and take an 8" X 10" picture of it and frame it to present it to her for my appreciation . She was thrilled with that.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
I love the white wheels and chrome moons... Where can I find them in 15"? Any Idea?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
I love the white wheels and chrome moons... Where can I find them in 15"? Any Idea?
I ordered the baby moons from Hubcap Mike in California. You should be able to get them online like I did . I think I paid about 65 dollars Canadian for two last year.

Tags
boler