A small question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I always try to travel with a full fresh water tank, even traveling a couple thousand miles. I never know where I'll be camping and sometimes it's in a place without water or maybe a hand pump to get water.
I also carry a water filter with me so all water going into the fresh water tank is filtered. I flush, clean and sanitize the tank at least once a year.

A hand pump well is difficult to filter.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Byron, what are you using as a filter? Ive seen the ones that the water hose screws into for sale at walmart....but coming from the boating world Ive seen some elaborate setups.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Byron, what are you using as a filter? Ive seen the ones that the water hose screws into for sale at walmart....but coming from the boating world Ive seen some elaborate setups.
Hi Derky.
I don't remember the brand at the moment. I picked it because replaceable cartridge, .3 micron ceramic filter, plus activated charcoal core. There are other brands out there, look at Camping World. I've this one for several years, ceramic filters can easily be cleaned with scotch brite. And I have a replacement cartridge when I it.
From my backpacking experience I think the .3 micron ceramic filter is the important part. This keeps the fresh water tank cleaner and free of some the not so nice bugs.

It's inline. Meaning I connect a short hose to faucet to the filter and longer white freshwater hose to fill the fresh water tank.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
ALABAMALT, Welcome, Glad you joined us.

Many times towns will have fill up stations for water at least in CO. Can think of several we have stopped at over the years. Often rest stops have fill stations. Usually a small charge applies.

As for flying J's I do believe you can fill up there for a small charge. Don't know for sure as I have never done it.

Many private campgrounds will allow you to fill up as well for a small fee.

There are ways to get water along the way. Many ranger stations will offer advice on where to get water before heading into the back country.

Good luck.....
Old 10-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'Thought you might enjoy this video from my favorite RV website, The Long Long Honeymoon, in which they talk about water systems. If you don't want to watch the whole thing do watch the last few minutes where he talks about water filters and purification. Enjoy!
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Tips for Airstream / RV travelers. Blog Archive VIDEO: Water Water Everywhere
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Gilda, yeah the cheaper priced one Ive seen at walmart. Ive also seen some other marine ones with 2 stage filters...I guess when I can venture farther from home or longer and need to have more water Im going to have to look into something.

I do drink from my onboard water tank, suposed to be close to a gallon a day. Im very anti the disposable water bottles. I hate the waste it generates. I guess I could start accumulating those stainless steel drinking bottles...2 a day times however many days Im going camping.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool What we do

I have given up on using the onboard water tank on our Trillium, (it holds 12 gallons) because I am basically lazy and don't want to deal with the freezing and contamination problems. I recall camping at Bryce Canyon in July when the temperature descended to 25 F at night.
So we carry drinking water in two one gallon former apple juice containers because they are a nice, heavy plastic. I find many food stores and Wal Mart sell Glacier water for a nominal fee, like 25.
We don't boon dock for any length of time.
When we want to wash dishes, I obtain water from our campsite in my biggest pot, heat it on the stove and wash with it. My grey water tank is a five gallon bucket with a lid and a small hole just large enough for my drain hose. One doesn't want to use an open bucket because small critters will climb into it for the moisture, be unable to get out, and drown.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #22

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We have two 12 gal tanks on our Scamp. I added an extra one. However, even though I have mountain well water 50 gpm. We only use ours for washing and the toilet. We buy water to drink and for coffee.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We generally use water out of our tank, only avoiding drinking it or using it for cooking when we're in an area with a water boil order, often the case in our spring travels thru northern Canada.

I suspect that our water tank is cleaner than the most town water lines.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #24

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Since I bought a 1996 trailer and have no way of knowing how the water system was maintained, I never drink from my fresh water tank. I carry drinking/cooking water in refillable gallon bottles. When I'm doing camping with larger groups, I'll often carry a couple 7 gallon big blue containers for extra drinking water and to wash my tanks when I dump.

I've found that a lot of visitor centers in small towns will have free dump stations and potable water. A good place to find these is rvdumps.com. And when I'm out boondocking on the Grasslands, I've been known to use a simple cloth filter on water from windmills. I add a couple glugs of bleach to make sure nothing grows in my tank.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #25

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I have given up on using the onboard water tank on our Trillium, (it holds 12 gallons) because I am basically lazy and don't want to deal with the freezing and contamination problems. I recall camping at Bryce Canyon in July when the temperature descended to 25 F at night.
So we carry drinking water in two one gallon former apple juice containers because they are a nice, heavy plastic. I find many food stores and Wal Mart sell Glacier water for a nominal fee, like 25.
We don't boon dock for any length of time.
When we want to wash dishes, I obtain water from our campsite in my biggest pot, heat it on the stove and wash with it. My grey water tank is a five gallon bucket with a lid and a small hole just large enough for my drain hose. One doesn't want to use an open bucket because small critters will climb into it for the moisture, be unable to get out, and drown.
I don't know where your fresh water tank is located. The one in my Scamp is under the curb side dinette bench, inside the trailer shell. This and that I keep it mostly full prevents it from freezing. I also keep the inside of the trailer at 50F or above. We were in Big Bend, TX when the temperatures dropped to 5F a couple nights, and in the teens for 3 or 4 more nights. There was 3 or 4 days the temperature never got above freezing. Didn't have a problem with the water system freezing. I imagine that the gray water tank drain valve froze.

My point is that it takes a lot of cold to freeze a few gallons of water.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #26

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Water weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
What's the reasoning for not filling at home? Most of these hold less than ten gallons, which is 83 lbs. even with a small engine, you're not going to notice an 80 lb difference.

It seems most are over or behind the axle, which throws out excessive tongue weight.
My fresh water tank holds 25 gallons and my water heater holds 6 gallons for a total of 31 gallons 31 x 8.3 Lbs. = Approx 258 Lbs The dry weight of my trailer is 2480 lbs so the water increases my traveling weight by 11% which to me is not an insignificant difference . I often hear people's reason for hauling water is the quality of the water in a different area but if the water is that bad in that area how do the locals who drink that water all the time survive ?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #27

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My fresh water tank holds 25 gallons and my water heater holds 6 gallons for a total of 31 gallons 31 x 8.3 Lbs. = Approx 258 Lbs The dry weight of my trailer is 2480 lbs so the water increases my traveling weight by 11% which to me is not an insignificant difference . I often hear people's reason for hauling water is the quality of the water in a different area but if the water is that bad in that area how do the locals who drink that water all the time survive ?

I think some of the issue of carrying water or not depends on how you camp. I'm usually someplace with a water hookup 4 to 5 nights per year out of 100-150 nights camping. If you're always going to be in a place with water hookups then I might look at it differently. To me one of convinces of a trailer is to be able to carry water.

As far as drinking the water because the locals do, in USA and Canada probably ok but there are areas in US where the sulpher content is so high it tastes and smells like rotten eggs.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #28

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I think some of the issue of carrying water or not depends on how you camp. I'm usually someplace with a water hookup 4 to 5 nights per year out of 100-150 nights camping. If you're always going to be in a place with water hookups then I might look at it differently. To me one of convinces of a trailer is to be able to carry water.

As far as drinking the water because the locals do, in USA and Canada probably ok but there are areas in US where the sulpher content is so high it tastes and smells like rotten eggs.
You are correct that it depends on your style of camping .We go to State Park campgrounds 90% of the time, electricity is available and water is only a short walk away so there is no need to carry water . Yet I still see people in those parks who haul water from home and wonder why. There are a lot of wonderful places to see and camp but knowing my wife if the camping sites do not have electricity , water and flush toilets I would be camping alone . We tried it once NEVER again !!!