A small question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #29

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
When I'm traveling, with water in tank, not always full. I sanitize the tank by adding a gallon of unscented bleach and 6-8 gallons of water slosh around. run thru system and drain then refill. I have ended up at few locations with out good water supply.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #30

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
That's a heck of a lot of bleach.
You only need maybe a cupful.
I have several five gallon water containers in my earthquake kit. They each get about an oz. of bleach and I dump and refill them twice a year.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #31

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Twice this summer I weekended in a place that had drinkable water availible. The rest of the times it was not an option...so I carry it with me. I guess if I fill my Rav4 up with fuel they might let me fill up my water tank but its just easier doing it before I head out. Maybe if Im going for longer then 3 or 4 days I will need to look into the inline filter to make sure the water going into my tank is good. I just dont want to deal with diarea from bad water(happened at a campground I was at last year...fortunatly I had my own water with me...other campers had to deal with it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #32

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My fresh water tank holds 25 gallons and my water heater holds 6 gallons for a total of 31 gallons 31 x 8.3 Lbs. = Approx 258 Lbs The dry weight of my trailer is 2480 lbs so the water increases my traveling weight by 11% which to me is not an insignificant difference . I often hear people's reason for hauling water is the quality of the water in a different area but if the water is that bad in that area how do the locals who drink that water all the time survive ?
Are the locals getting all their water out of that exact same well? Has the well been tested regularly? Mine has. I'll stick to known good water, deryks example is a perfect point of it. Hell, the Minneapolis city water is worse than my well water. That crap smells and tastes like a moldy swamp sometimes.

My camper holds 40 gallons + 6 gallon water heater, I can't tell a difference either way. For most people, it's like having another person with.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #33

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Jared:I lived in the Twin Cities for over 60 years and am aware of the odor issue with the water in the summer (Taste/ Smell Issue not a health hazard issue) We take trips several times a year of more then 30 days duration . How would you haul enough water along to last 30 days? At some point we have to replenish our water supply and driving back home from Florida to Wisconsin just to fill our water tanks from our home well is not practical. We normally camp in State Parks and water quality is not an issue, I have a friend who owns a campgrounds in Wisconsin and he is required by law to have his well tested twice a year and post a certificate showing that the well has been tested and is in compliance .(How many homeowners have their well tested twice a year?) If you wish to haul around 400 Lbs of water , that is your choice. Again if you are filling your on board water tanks from a municipal water supply that is serving thousands of people "What is the Issue?" My fishing buddy just built a house with a new 400 ft well , the water has been tested and is safe but smells like rotten eggs. What water source would you suggest he use to fill his trailer ?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #34

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Whether folks haul water or not, that's their choice. Some wait until they get close to where they plan to camp to fill tanks. Others never use their tanks (for a variety of reasons). I buy bottled water because I want my coffee to always taste the same .
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We usually carry a 1/2 tank of water, only filling it when going into a boondock situation. We use less than a cup of bleach to sanitize our water system, flushing it with tap water when done.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #36

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
I do the overkill then rinse out a few times. Old habits learned in Army.. cleaning/ sanitizing water trailers and water cans. The alternatives can fill black tank fast
I was at a training exercise in Canada in 93 (RV 93) the Company XO wouldn't trust the water points water and had me to "re" chlorinate the water..
I tried to tell him it had been done and checked. So I had to do it.. the "water" was stronger than bleach, I had to drain and rinse it 4-5 times before it was drinkable. But nobody in our company got the runs though.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #37

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Clorox recommends 1/2 cup bleach per 15 gallons of water (50 PPM) when sanitizing potable water storage tanks and piping
Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #38

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
The best filter for the money that will last forever! I gave the wife a blind taste test and Berkey won.
Amazon.com: Berkey GOBK-KIT Go Kit with 1 Black Element, Generic Sport Water Filter and Vinyl Carrying Case: Home Improvement

I have the home one that holds a lot more water but for on the go try this.

The Berkey Guy Introduces The Go Berkey Kit - YouTube
Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #39

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
We use a large orange water cooler for drinking and coffee water. Typically that water jug gets much of it's contents from the ice we put in it. Bag ice tends to be good water.

In the cooler are frozen jugs of water from home, the dog will often get that after it melts. I think water from home is easier on her digestive track and allows easing her into local water. Dog with the runs is not a fun traveling companion.

Followed by one or two blue 6 gallon jugs for local fill up. Jugs are mostly used as is but have been used to refill (at least partly) the onboard tank in state parks so the camper did not need to be moved.

On trips of shorter duration and distance where a single fill of the onboard tank will probably last the entire rustic or boondock camping time and I'm only driving a day or less it's worth it to me to fill the tank and/or blue jugs at home and just not have to fuss with it.

Longer distance and duration where I'm going to have to fill up someplace anyway I travel with the onboard tank partly filled. When I had a camper with a full bathroom partly filled would be about 15 gallons in each tank.
Now that it's just wash up water 4 gallons or so is plenty for on the road.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #40

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Lasts Forever ????

I don't know how long forever must be, but the web site seems to be selling a lot of very expensive replacement filters at about $50 each.

On top of that they have invented something called a "Self Sterilizing" filter, a term that's heretofore unknown in the field.

I'm sorry, but without any posted independent testing I am a bit skeptical.

By chance were they ever involved in the Hydrogen car conversion kits.

Again, it may well be valid, but I don't see the documentation to encourage me to put out a lot of money for one.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #41

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I been using mine going on 3 years now. It states to clean the filters use a scotch brite pad and wash down the sides of the filter. I bought a back up filter set just in case.
As far as the cost goes, we were buying those cheap Walmart filters and bottle water. I did the math before I bought along with a lot of research. One of the reasons I did go with Berkly is it will filter lake or river water like no other without ele.
I am a prepper for what ever may happen and this fits the bill for me. Also it already paid for itself. No more water bottles or crappy filters that only do half the job.
Maybe I shouldn't used the word "forever". I rate mine to last 3 years on a single filter but since I use 2 filters at a time it should last 6 years. That comes to about 33 dollars a year. Double filter would be 17 dollars a year.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #42

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Germ Perspective

We've been traveling for 13 years and have never been water sick to our knowledge. We clean the system with a 1/2 cup of bleach every year.

Recently I read an article where they drilled a hole a mile deep into the floor of the ocean. Surprisingly, a teaspoon of the material from a mile deep contained the order of 1000 bacteria and 10,000 viruses. For comparison, a teaspon of soil from your front yard contains billions, if not trillions, of bacteria and viruses. The reality there is no escape. They are truly everywhere and an intimate part of our life.

Of course we should use clean water but I don't think we should lose sleep over the public or trailer water supply.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote