A small question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #41

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I been using mine going on 3 years now. It states to clean the filters use a scotch brite pad and wash down the sides of the filter. I bought a back up filter set just in case.
As far as the cost goes, we were buying those cheap Walmart filters and bottle water. I did the math before I bought along with a lot of research. One of the reasons I did go with Berkly is it will filter lake or river water like no other without ele.
I am a prepper for what ever may happen and this fits the bill for me. Also it already paid for itself. No more water bottles or crappy filters that only do half the job.
Maybe I shouldn't used the word "forever". I rate mine to last 3 years on a single filter but since I use 2 filters at a time it should last 6 years. That comes to about 33 dollars a year. Double filter would be 17 dollars a year.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #42

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Germ Perspective

We've been traveling for 13 years and have never been water sick to our knowledge. We clean the system with a 1/2 cup of bleach every year.

Recently I read an article where they drilled a hole a mile deep into the floor of the ocean. Surprisingly, a teaspoon of the material from a mile deep contained the order of 1000 bacteria and 10,000 viruses. For comparison, a teaspon of soil from your front yard contains billions, if not trillions, of bacteria and viruses. The reality there is no escape. They are truly everywhere and an intimate part of our life.

Of course we should use clean water but I don't think we should lose sleep over the public or trailer water supply.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #43

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Just a note. Berkey does have a couple of independent testing from the USA. I wont go into it but you can find them on the web site.
But let me say if one is looking for good clean drinking water at the cheapest cost I would look into the Berkey. If your happy with what you use now so be it. We didn't like the smell of our water (city water) or the taste. Being a cheap (you know what) I came up with Berkey for us. If you have a couple of mins, this guy does a pretty good job going over the reviews and comparison. I didn't know that distilled water was bad for you. We all drink lots of water everyday or should. Why not drink something that is good for you. Please check out this vid if you would like more info of filters on the market. Enjoy!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #44

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmmm.... It must have something to do with the source of your local water.

Here in L.A., a number of double blind tests indicated that most peeps can't tell the difference between bottled water and tap water, with tap water frequently having the edge for taste..... Must be all that gold still below the surface of the Golden State (not to mention a shortage of sinkholes and swamps leaking into the aquifer).
But still, we are the #1 area for bottled/filtered water sales..... Go Figure.

But, when you filter water you leave the contaminants behind in the filter and I don't see any method of killing off that residue. You wouldn't use the same water glass for a year without cleaning it would you?????

But I am sure I would have appreciated a system like that when I was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon or hiking the Pacific Rim trail, but for RV'ing, there are simpler and less expensive solutions.

BTW: what's a Prepper, is that like a Preppie on steroids? LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote