A small question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Name: LAUVONE
Trailer: CASITA
Alabama
A small question

I plan on doing some boon-docking and have been wondering the best way to have the fresh water tank filled.
I know I don't want to pull several gallons of water from home for a distance of 300 miles or more.

Are there some places (Flying J/Pilot) that don't mind you filling the tank from their faucet? Maybe pull into a state rest area and fill up there?

I plan on carrying drinking water in a couple of 1 gallon milk cartons. Thinking that after 2 to 4 days, a hot shower sure would be nice.

On the grand scheme of things, this is probably a minor problem, but was wondering how you experienced folks handle this.

Thanks

ALABAMALT
ALABAMALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We usually don't fill out fresh water tank until the destination and then we don't drink of it. We have never dumped at a Flying J or rest area so I cannot say for sure about potable water on site. State Parks will charge a day fee to enter.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Lauvone,
I always carry a 5 gal container from home, lasts me a week. I use the on board water for toilet/washing. Most rest areas have water and some even have dump facilities.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I always fill mine before I leave. My tanks are new, and I don't want to contaminate them. I've seen people fill up containers from a faucet at the park with a hose adapter.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I fill mine up at home.
I like my well water.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

Kansas
Yep, mine is well water also. It keeps for about three weeks in the camper tanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We fill 5 or 6 one gallon jugs with well water from home for drinking , cooking and coffee .
We fill our fresh water tank when we arrive at the campgrounds and use that water for dishes and the toilet
The last couple of parks we stayed at, the water was so strong of chlorine it was not drinkable .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The last couple of parks we stayed at, the water was so strong of chlorine it was not drinkable .
Which is perfect to sanitize your tank and lines. Fill up before you leave. Let it sit for a while and the chlorine will dissipate. Or flush it when you get home.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
My tank was new so don't want to contaminate it....my parents have good well water....I also carry a blue 7 gallon jug with me.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #10

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
A small question...

The question concerns Boone Docking, where there is usually no campground water to use. I am also curious as to how people do this who are not in campgrounds and do not want to travel with a full tank of water in their trailer. My guess would be to fill at the nearest water supply in the area you are going to. With the tow vechical carrying about six gallons of drinking water in your containers of choice.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #11

Kansas
What's the reasoning for not filling at home? Most of these hold less than ten gallons, which is 83 lbs. even with a small engine, you're not going to notice an 80 lb difference.

It seems most are over or behind the axle, which throws out excessive tongue weight.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
I've got a 15 gallon water tank right behind my axle and 7 gallons in my forward bathroom. 180lbs extra weight but worth it...I don't want to have to keep a drinking water jug inside prefer to drink from my tank. I guess I could invest in a filtration system.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #13

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Utah
12 volt pump + 5 gallon jug

I purchased a 12 volt water pump from Harbor Freight and carry a wheeled 5 gallon water jug. This arrangement served us well last week at Zion NP. Fresh water was available at the dump site and at the dish washing sink at the restrooms. I also carry a spare battery for pump operation but as quickly as the pump works, you could connect to your TV or trailer battery. 10-15 minutes of effort gets 10 gallons of water into the fresh tank.

See the following:

12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As some water tanks are forward of the axle it might make some sense to carry a minimal amount of water while towing. The Hunter Compact trailers are laid out in that manner. A full water tank adds about 40 lbs to tongue weight on our Compact-II.

We carry water in several manners, depending on the destination and trip length:
a) Frozen. We load the refrigerator with frozen bottles of drinking water before leaving. This helps get the ref. real cold, real fast and provides cold drinking & cooking water as they thaw out.

b) 1 Gallon Bottles: These are recycled spring water containers, filled at home with tap water. We carry up to 6 of these in the the TV and they are usually designated as cooking water.

c) 5 Gallon bulk. We have two collapsible, 5 gallon, Coleman water cubes that can be filled and carried, and are usually used for filling or topping off the water holding tank for the sink, loo and washing water.

d) On board tank: We usually only put a couple of gallons in here with the anticipation of filling when we reach out site. In camp grounds, where it's not possible to fill the water tank directly we use the 5 gallon cubes to fill the tank and then refill the cubes from local water supplies.

If we are going to places like Joshua Tree National Park, a desert park where water is only available at the entrance stations, we fill and/or top off everything at the entrance station or the last known water source and carry as much extra water as practical. Ya gotta plan ahead...

FWIW: We only drink and cook with rebottled tap water. The on-board tank water is used only for washing and the loo.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I always try to travel with a full fresh water tank, even traveling a couple thousand miles. I never know where I'll be camping and sometimes it's in a place without water or maybe a hand pump to get water.
I also carry a water filter with me so all water going into the fresh water tank is filtered. I flush, clean and sanitize the tank at least once a year.

A hand pump well is difficult to filter.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
Byron, what are you using as a filter? Ive seen the ones that the water hose screws into for sale at walmart....but coming from the boating world Ive seen some elaborate setups.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Byron, what are you using as a filter? Ive seen the ones that the water hose screws into for sale at walmart....but coming from the boating world Ive seen some elaborate setups.
Hi Derky.
I don't remember the brand at the moment. I picked it because replaceable cartridge, .3 micron ceramic filter, plus activated charcoal core. There are other brands out there, look at Camping World. I've this one for several years, ceramic filters can easily be cleaned with scotch brite. And I have a replacement cartridge when I it.
From my backpacking experience I think the .3 micron ceramic filter is the important part. This keeps the fresh water tank cleaner and free of some the not so nice bugs.

It's inline. Meaning I connect a short hose to faucet to the filter and longer white freshwater hose to fill the fresh water tank.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
ALABAMALT, Welcome, Glad you joined us.

Many times towns will have fill up stations for water at least in CO. Can think of several we have stopped at over the years. Often rest stops have fill stations. Usually a small charge applies.

As for flying J's I do believe you can fill up there for a small charge. Don't know for sure as I have never done it.

Many private campgrounds will allow you to fill up as well for a small fee.

There are ways to get water along the way. Many ranger stations will offer advice on where to get water before heading into the back country.

Good luck.....
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'Thought you might enjoy this video from my favorite RV website, The Long Long Honeymoon, in which they talk about water systems. If you don't want to watch the whole thing do watch the last few minutes where he talks about water filters and purification. Enjoy!
LongLongHoneymoon.com | Tips for Airstream / RV travelers. » Blog Archive » VIDEO: Water Water Everywhere
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Gilda, yeah the cheaper priced one Ive seen at walmart. Ive also seen some other marine ones with 2 stage filters...I guess when I can venture farther from home or longer and need to have more water Im going to have to look into something.

I do drink from my onboard water tank, suposed to be close to a gallon a day. Im very anti the disposable water bottles. I hate the waste it generates. I guess I could start accumulating those stainless steel drinking bottles...2 a day times however many days Im going camping.