A tale of two jerks and two generators - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2003, 02:51 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
>>USFS-approved spark arresting muffler systems

You're right on, Pete (as usual) ... but when I mention this to campground hosts ... i.e.

"Hey, I don't think the guy's generator in campsite 46 has a spark arresting muffler, which is required in the National Forest."

I usually get a blank stare in return.

PS -- think I was running a week ahead of you in Silverton.

Old 07-18-2003, 02:51 PM   #16

steve

. It wasn't enough that I agreed to do whatever... I had to act like it was the best idea I heard all day.
:banana
Well of course, Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?:thumb
Now if we're really up to snuff we will make you think it was your idea in the first place and you had just forgotten.:thumb :thumb Jean

Old 07-18-2003, 03:02 PM   #17

I've never understood why the noise doesn't bother THEM. Can they not hear it over the TV? Or maybe since they own it, it sounds like a purring kitten. I draw them like magnets. I've never asked anybody to shut it off but it sure does kill my nature buzz.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:03 PM   #18

Again, I'm not picking on my rich Honda generator owning friends.

I'm talking about the big monster generators, that are usually encased in heavy metal frames.

You know, the kind that shake your fillings loose when the guy in the next campsite fires it up.

And, speaking of that ... how in the world do these people stand being in the same campsite with these monster generators running.

I saw one guy, once, who was seated in a lawn chair, not 4 feet from the generator, reading a newspaper, apparently unaffected by the roar of his generator.

I figured he was just doing it for show, because of all the dirty looks fellow campers were giving him. (Probably had ear plugs in!)
Old 07-18-2003, 03:26 PM   #19

Jerks & Jenerators

I'd hate to think I am a jerk, even though I do have a generator-- although the implication in this thread seems to be that generators and jerks are somehow gene-spliced and thus inseparable.

I am reluctant to make any noise whatsoever in the woods. I have firearms in my truck and trailer, but am loathe to do any shooting whatsoever unless severely provoked in some way or another. (Cutting my gas line might qualify, but I would only shoot to maim in such a case and certainly not to kill. What a humanitarian, huh?) I don't even much care for the sound of a radio in the boonies and whenever possible I try to use the National Forests' wonderful capability to let me camp anywhere I can reach in order to get away from everybody, generators or no. I would think that anybody who is allergic to gensets would do the same. (I think the human voice is probably the ugliest sound to pollute the woods, BTW.)

You gotta face it, though: there does seem to be a touch of PC GenPolice running through this thread. On the order of All gens=All bad=Anti-nature idiots, versus GenHater=AllAroundGoodPerson.

My gen is a Honda E2000 and I don't carry it because I can't be without some witless, laugh-track polluted sitcom. I carry it because my work requires that I be able to charge and operate still and video cameras and computers wherever I happen to be. Even so, I'd like to think I am considerate to a fault about its use. Once, in VA, I went to next campsite one morning (about 80' away) and told them that I needed to run my gen for an hour or two and hoped that it wouldn't bother them. Mister cupped his hand to his ear and said it must have quit cuz he couldn't hear it. I thought he was right, cuz neither could I. When I got back to campo I found it happily purring away on econo-mode. See? I , too, can be purer-than-thou!

There are slobs and there are slobs, and we have all met them. But not all genset owners and users are in that category.

There. I done spoke my piece.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:40 PM   #20

but Robert, Honda Gens don't count. It's those 15,000 something or others he's talking about.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:42 PM   #21

Definitely time for a pint of CherryGarcia... :yep

:jumper
Old 07-18-2003, 04:10 PM   #22

sorry to hear!

Hey the dual batterys idea works great . i can use the the big 7 plug
that ws installed on my silverado to charge one battery while i run errans . dont know it i would try it on the small 7 pin plugs (plug is only rated at 15 amps) big plug is 30 amp. so far no blow fuses but charged battery
Greetings from heavens waiting room! :cheers
Old 07-18-2003, 04:33 PM   #23

Jerks are a dime a dozen.
EG--Speed limit where I live in Mobile home park is 10km/hr.
Five min ago some JERK drove in about 100kms/hr.We have in area kids and road dust.These Jerks need to be tared and feathered.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:10 PM   #24

Rule of Law

(boy, along with my privacy issues I'm really going to get a reputation when I start with a title like this!)

I totally agree with Robert Brummet--we must not equate Generator Users with idiots or rudeness. Moreover I really respect how he went up to his neighbor and explained about the two hours. Unfortunately not everyone is Robert. That's why we have laws, easy to break, but at least we're all on the same field! Here's my two cents:

1. Have very straightforward rules on generator use. Two hours per
day, say from 9-10 a.m. and 6:00-7:00 p.m. If you can't make those times wait until the next day.

2. I own an EU 1000 and it makes about same noise as a 2000 and I
wouldn't want to be camped too close to it if it was running more than
an hour at a time (in the example Robert gives, distance makes this a
non-issue)

3. No amplified radio or music at any time. God made Sony Walkmans (am I old or what?) for a reason. Guitars & harmonicas & all live music encouraged except during quiet hours.

4. Make it clear to campers that the term Quiet Hours does not imply
that the rest of the day is Noisy Hours. What seems to be the norm these days is somebody with their boom box maxed and when you politely ask them to turn it down you get "Hey man it's not quiet hours!" What quiet hours really means is that if you're taking your tent down at 6:00 a.m. you whisper and don't bang your poles, at 10:00 a.m. who cares.

Call me crazy but camping is not about stereos and generators. People
having fun noise and nature noise please. (Unless you're camped at
Deception Pass State Park on Whidbey Island--then extremely low flying Top Gun types practicing aircraft carrier landing is also okay--like what are you going to do about that?)

Cheers, Ron
Old 07-18-2003, 06:19 PM   #25

generaters

I have come to the conclusion that generaters must be a macho thing . I see it all through these diferant threads . One of the first things people think of is a generater. many years ago when we started camping I to got a generater. Which i have never taken along after being next to someone running a generater on a hot night while we were trying to sleep.:zz
Old 07-18-2003, 07:18 PM   #26

loud neighbors

I try to be as understanding as possible, but on my first trip this year, in early June I had neighbors from hades. They stayed up till 4:30 am, but were smart enough to watch for the rangers light and tone it down, as he came walking by on his rounds. when he was clear, they started the whooping and hollerin again.
In the morning I went to have a talk with the ranger, we had had no success talking to our neighbors the night before.
We left to go grab some last minute groceries, when we came back; no neighbors and all was at peace. Never give up your right to enjoyment if it is reasonable, after all you paid for it too.

below is a cut from the Ontario park rules.

Protecting You and Your Park
Please follow this based rule when visiting Ontario Parks: Have respect and consideration for your fellow visitors and the park environment.

Loud Noise-Disturbing Other Persons
Be considerate. Please keep the volume of your music and your voices, to a reasonable level. Interfering with anyone else's enjoyment of a park, day or night, is not only inconsiderate - it is also contrary to park regulations.

The penalty for violation of the laws may be eviction from the Park or a fine imposed by the Court or both.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:18 AM   #27

Generators

I never ceases to amaze me of the dialogue that comes up at the mere mention of generators. Most people are decent folk who know how to camp as their limits allow, but some feel it is their god given right to do as they please. Always have - always will! We paid 4 times what we should have for a generator that would not bother neighbors. We even scope out our own site to make sure the music cannot be heard by anyone but us. The farther away they are the louder we can be (If and when we chose). The closer we are the quieter we must be.

FYI: When we do have neighbors (under 200 feet) the genset is hibernating.

Anything else is uncivilized. :)
Old 07-19-2003, 05:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rick

Anything else is uncivilized. :)
You nailed it, Rick. :thumb

Many people today don't have the first clue about civility. Civility is what makes living in society bearable.