A Thought - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
In less than three weeks I'll be 79. I just got a new trailer which I use. My doctor tells me my health age is 10 years younger than my calendar age. I was happy to hear that but that doesn't mean I have a guarantee of X number of years left so I go where I want, do what I want. My wife passed away over two years ago. I joined an internet dating site and am exploring a relationship with a very nice woman. Will it develop into anything serious? I don't know but time will tell. I'm trying to live what's left of my life in the most satisfying way possible.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
That's the way, rgrugg!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

Good for you. WIshing you continued good health, you can be our model for travel as one ages. At the SKP Resort in FL one of the original members, a man who help build the park, is 92 and owns two rigs and still travels all over the country. He reminds me of Ginny's grandfather, a real wiry guy.

As I've written before Ginny says to be sure and get another navigator. Wishing you well in a developing future.

Life is about choices and making choices implies conscious acts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #18

Florida
Travel Thought

I was talking to a friend last night discussing partner relationships, loosely and tightly bound relationships. As we chatted I recognized there's definitely a lack of openness in relationships, even the best of relationships.

People committed to each other should be able to be open without fear or anxiety about communications. I suggested to my friend, a sometimes writer. that it might be a good book topic. Certainly two people alone on the road for extended periods should be open with each other in a friendly and growing way.

In the process of chat, we also tripped over how little humanity knows. We were discussing a University study about Alzheimers where 9 of 10 people were cured by diet and life style chnage, nearly a miracle if you know the disease. Interestingly millions of people are taking prescription drugs that really do little in the battle against the disease.

Not attacking the drug companies, they are certainly trying, however it makes me stop and wonder how little we know. It strikes me that as a species we have time for destructive drugs, personal conflict, killing and conquest, yet little time for knowledge.

As a retired person, my intention is to spend more time on the road learning and thinking. I have been in a sense graced with time (and certainly earned it); I should use some amount of it considering issues.

I read an article that mentioned how Bill Gates does this in the area of Climate. His thoughts follow. Some may not agree with him, but it shows he's thinking critically.

Bill Gates Says The Cost Of Switching To Wind And Solar Would Be “Beyond Astronomical” | Real Science

Hope this isn't too much off the track but it shows what one extended traveler's thinking about.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Florida
Human Nature

It seems the genetic characteristics of people goes deep.

I commented to my really quick sister-in-law about the negative attitudes of a mutual acquaintance, she responded “Some dogs bark”. How true, some dogs ’naturally’ bark more than others, some are ‘naturally’ more aggressive than others.

What separates us from dogs is our ability to become truly conscious about what we are, how we respond in life. I’m upset with myself when I step outside of normal bounds, when I’m attacking on the forum.

Being Conscious is when we can become our best.

We have a very good friend who proudly says “I’m a yellow dog Democrat”. I had never heard that description. “What’s a yellow dog Democrat?” She smiled, a person who would vote Democrat even if a Yellow Dog was the democratic candidate.

Some dogs bark, some dogs are yellow. In life I find people can be the same. I am an engineer and made a living designing new products, usually things that never existed or were novel variants of existing products.

The immediate response of a large number of people to the 'new' amazed me. “Why make that? It won’t work! No one needs it! So often a negative response, rather than a positive response.

There are so many that instantly have the negative response, do not seek the solution, do not search for the new path, and rather accept what is…. do not know nor care to know beyond what they think they know.

When deciding to take off in an RV, there were plenty of audible and silent comments, a wondering about my reality. One of the most interesting aspects of our travels is the seeking and the finding. As we moved into our RV in the front yard, it was discovering a new way to live. Once on the road, it was finding lots of new worlds, foods, cultures and simple trial adventures.

The reality is we’re as broad and varied as we consciously choose to recognize.

No unconscious yellow dog here....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Well put Norm. One thing I've learned is that life is about change. The aversion to change, motivated mostly by a sense of uncertainty or insecurity, is ingrained in the species. The one thing that helped my career the most (I'm a Network Architect/Engineer) was the ability to think unconventionally. It does scare some people, but as long as you've got the inner assurance, it won't scare you.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #21

Florida
Change and the New

Certainly society is always confronted by change, though I suspect it has never been at a higher rate than it is now. I suspect the next few decades will be even more dramatic. Think about robots replacing all those employees seeking $15 at McDonalds.

I’ve always considered myself lucky because I like change. Another characteristic suggested by your ‘inner assurance’ is disregard for failure or maybe better, 'confidence in success'.

To often I’ve seen fear of failure stop many a good idea.

Though taking off on the road may seem frightful because it’s leaving your norm. Though it is a significant change for many, in a sense it’s in at least a small measure of escape from change. It’s you or maybe the two of you proceeding down the road, escaping to a more basic way of living in a smaller space, with less surrounding formerly ‘necessary for life items’, with fewer dependent human activities, reducing the set of items and people who are dependent on you is freeing, freeing of time. consideration and thought.

In a sense the change of the road, is a ‘freeing’.

When I was putting together a staff, luring people to a start up company, part of the pitch was the fact that in life there are only a few really good opportunities. Most people often don’t recognize the opportunity so they can’t even make an appropriate decision. What they see is the change that’s required and it’s risk. See the opportunity, recognize the change, and make a conscious choice. Real growth opportunities are rare. Change can be the positive difference.

Ginny and I smile as we travel about, like kids with a secret. This week I got a list of potential activities from NL’s Tourist bureau for the NL Caravan. I just sit here reading through the list, thinking of the opportunity. What changes will these new adventures bring to us, new information, foods and friends.

Robert, Thank you for making me think about change. It’s so much a part of us, I don’t give it enough thought.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
We are all different, yet we all have one thing in common: we all have a terminal condition (a body that will quit functioning someday). Like you said, Norm, older folks deal with death more easily than younger folks because the former have seen more of it and have thought more about it.

But I've noticed that we all tend to live our lives with a feeling of 'forever'. It's hard for us to picture ourselves simply ceasing to exist. I think this is because there's really a part of us that testifies to our brains that the real essence of us does not stop existing. Happily, I have an all-time bestselling book that says we never cease to exist but simply transition to another dimension of life.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Last night I re-read an old classic Sci-Fi novel, one of the Dune books. In it, the protagonist was a creature who had lived for thousands of years and was also a prescient being, with absolute knowledge of what would happen next. The mere mortals around him thought his life would be amazing, being able to predict every little thing that could possibly happen with absolute precision. He however saw it a tragedy and a torture - nothing new, nothing that surprised him, his whole life mapped out, predictable and utterly boring. He craved change and surprise.

Norm, I think your life on the road gives you those kind of opportunities constantly, and I think your embracing of those changes is the reason you smile!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Perhaps I am strange, but I have been keenly aware of the limited resource of time. It came into clear focus when my first child was born. "My replacement unit is in" was my tag line for weeks.

Having kids was no cake walk. I was a single parent of 9 month old twins, and a three year old. At three weeks old, both of the twins got RSV, and were on life support for a week each. Later, one of the twins was diagnosed with "Failure to thrive", when she would not transition to solids. She did not gain any weight for two months. She had a 5 person team to try to get her to eat. She had a social worker, nutritionist, psychologist, and two more that I can't remember, (it was 18 years ago). None of them were any help. No organic issues, just real stubborn. The solution was to make it fun. Dad does a funny song and dance, big smile, fill with food, repeat. Hard to do when all you want to do is cry. This was the most stressful time of my life, also the most rewarding. "I" ceased to exist. It was only the kids and their needs.

I try to take every opportunity to experience something new, even if new does not mean pleasant. We are actually quite long lived creatures, but no mater how long, it won't last forever. Unfamiliar ground make us more alert and aware. Maybe even more alive. I am happiest when I am lost.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #25

Florida
Npt Religion, moderators (humor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
We are all different, yet we all have one thing in common: we all have a terminal condition (a body that will quit functioning someday). Like you said, Norm, older folks deal with death more easily than younger folks because the former have seen more of it and have thought more about it.

But I've noticed that we all tend to live our lives with a feeling of 'forever'. It's hard for us to picture ourselves simply ceasing to exist. I think this is because there's really a part of us that testifies to our brains that the real essence of us does not stop existing. Happily, I have a an all-time bestselling book that also says we never cease to exist but simply transition to another dimension of life.
I certainly have the forever wish but am well aware that is not the case. I am not a believer in after life, but should it come I'd take it. The whole concept is too self-derived and provides too much value to the human state. On the other hand most people I know are believers and that's OK.

My attitude assumes life is limited in length and my joy is here. As a result I'm trying to have as much fun as possible. This is not to suggests it's just about me, I believe in a responsibility to work, serve and build. That part of my life is done, now it's fun on the road serving Ginny (made Salmon Chowder tonight).

As I would say we always feel blessed (don't read too much into it). We've spent 15 years on the road. We hope for 10 more road years.... then we'll see... he writes with a smile.

Hope to meet one of these days Mike....

Ecclesiastes 22. So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Perhaps I am strange, but I have been keenly aware of the limited resource of time. It came into clear focus when my first child was born. "My replacement unit is in" was my tag line for weeks.

Having kids was no cake walk. I was a single parent of 9 month old twins, and a three year old. At three weeks old, both of the twins got RSV, and were on life support for a week each. Later, one of the twins was diagnosed with "Failure to thrive", when she would not transition to solids. She did not gain any weight for two months. She had a 5 person team to try to get her to eat. She had a social worker, nutritionist, psychologist, and two more that I can't remember, (it was 18 years ago). None of them were any help. No organic issues, just real stubborn. The solution was to make it fun. Dad does a funny song and dance, big smile, fill with food, repeat. Hard to do when all you want to do is cry. This was the most stressful time of my life, also the most rewarding. "I" ceased to exist. It was only the kids and their needs.

I try to take every opportunity to experience something new, even if new does not mean pleasant. We are actually quite long lived creatures, but no mater how long, it won't last forever. Unfamiliar ground make us more alert and aware. Maybe even more alive. I am happiest when I am lost.
Dave, Very impressive job, congratulations. I had to look up RSV, something new to learn everyday.

The unfamiliar to me is the stimulation I need to make everyday an adventure.

You've earned the right to be lost....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Gotta agree with you Norm. I too have a hard time believing in eternity. Especially when my understanding of the universe is that it ends in an ever accelerating expansion of a vacuum. Stephen Hawking says even black holes evaporate, (Hawking radiation). Why should the concept of I last longer then the universe? Am "I" really that important?
Old 07-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #28

Florida
Love Yellowstone but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Norm, I think your life on the road gives you those kind of opportunities constantly, and I think your embracing of those changes is the reason you smile!
One of the amazing aspects of the road is the surprises, places that you've never heard of that lurk in your mind almost continuously, that call you back. I see this in many travelers.

Also, they sometimes lead to 'to new places', for example Yellowstone was wonderful but now I want to visit all the 7 other 'Yellowstone' hotspot locations that stretch across Idaho into Nevada, places of earlier eruptions..

I've read Dune... I like Sci-Fi.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16