A Thought - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #121

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Google Docs feature

Google Docs has the ability to do voice typing. Ginny wants me to enter a partial book I wrote 20 years ago so the kids can read it. As a test I entered the following piece of poetry.

In reading this poem I realized that each of us should read inspirational messages every day. I do not mean inspirational in the God sense though I would not be opposed to one.

Ginny frequently says "first you say it, then you think it and lastly you do it". I think beginning or ending your day with good thoughts can go a long way to a better life, maybe a new habit to add to my growing collection.

The following was one of Ginny's mother's favorites. She lived the thoughts of this poem as I feel Ginny does. Hope you enjoy it. If you have a favorite you can PM it to me, 'help my heart rejoice'

“At Day’s End”
by John Hall

Is anybody happier because you passed this way?
Does anybody remember that you spoke to him today?
The day is almost over and its toiling time is through;
Is there anyone to utter right now a kindly word of you?

Can you say tonight, in parting of the day that's slipping fast,
That you have helped a single person of the many you have passed?
Is a single heart rejoicing over what you did and said;
Does the man whose hope is fading now with courage look ahead?

Did you waste the day or lose it? Was it well or sorely spent?
Did you leave a trail of kindness first scar of discontent?
As you close your eyes and slumber do you think that God will say,
You've made the world a better place by the life you lived today?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #122

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Very nice thoughts, norm! 😊

If (because of your writing?) you get seriously interested in the voice-to-text thing, I've found that later versions of the Dragon Naturally Speaking program can be almost scary accurate.

Sadly, it is usually a tad bit expensive and requires a semi-modern computer with a decent audio system for the full computer program.

However, there is also an App for tablets that you might want to investigate?

Whether about camping/RVing or just life in general, I enjoy reading your posts. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #123

Florida
Dragon

Ray,

First thanks for the kind words.

I'm familiar with Dragon, one of my brother-in-laws is a lawyer and uses it instead of typing. My Chromebook could not handle it. I used Google voice and Google Docs to load 10 pages of my Miracles Books for the kids to read, 50 more to go. After a few pages of reading you tend to get the program and improve your speaking.

It's probably a cardinal sin to work on two books at once but Ginny wants the kids to read Miracles because it reveals who I am or became.

I've considered switching to a tablet with keyboard for writing, maybe after "Musing'.

It will probably take me a week to do it with the required editing. I wrote it in the 'blast' style, no editing of thought or English.

After I finish Musing I suspect I'll just write for personal pleasure. Ginny will be my consumer. It gives her insight into me..showing a not intentional private side, at least in the sense of making her more conscious about what goes on in me.

I've tried to get her to write, without much success so far. People have all these unused hidden talents. Occasionally she has written and I always find it good. I really try to pay attention to her personal goodness, it is otherworldly. She never has battles with others, even the most minor.

It's amazing, year 58 and I'm still learning from her. My learning has accelerated with our time on the road. By the way we should be back on the road in less than a month.

Safe Travels... are you going to the Scamp Camp this Feb?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #124

Florida
Ticky Tacky

Ticky Tacky and they all came out the same.

I went to a military college and was in 'O' Company. For the Company senior picture every one wore navy blue school blazers with the school patch except for two students in the back show had blue sweaters on. The picture was labeled Ticky Tacky and they all came out the same.. well not quite. The two in the back majored in Physics and were lab partners and I was one of them.

Today I read the following written by James Clear and was surprised by what happens to people.

In the 1960s, a creative performance researcher named George Land conducted a study of 1,600 five-year-olds and 98 percent of the children scored in the “highly creative” range. Dr. Land re-tested each subject during five year increments. When the same children were 10-years-old, only 30 percent scored in the highly creative range. This number dropped to 12 percent by age 15 and just 2 percent by age 25. As the children grew into adults they effectively had the creativity trained out of them. In the words of Dr. Land, “non-creative behavior is learned.”

Studies of even larger groups, 250,000 students show rising IQ scores since 1990 but falling creative thinking.

Something to consider...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #125

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Creative thinking can get a person in a LOT of trouble!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #126

Florida
Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Creative thinking can get a person in a LOT of trouble!
Mon
Mon, I assume that was said in jest. The example in the article I was reading was Newton and the apple. I would guess a majority of people know why an apple falls down. From the time Newton had his Eureka moment on why an apple falls down until he figured it all out and published was 20 years.

All the wonderful people who stepped out of the box like Galileo even at the cost of punishment have made a real difference.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #127

Florida
Sleep and Bed Size

Ginny and I have worn devices that monitor our sllep, letting us know the amount of light sleep and deep sleep each night. I'm not sure about what those sleeps define but when I get more deep sleep I feel better and more alert.

If I don't get enough sleep I take a 22 minute nap. Invariably those naps are all deep sleep. The naps all take place in a confined space, on the couch. Is there something about a small space that results in deep sleep?

We find that we sleep particularly well in the trailer, our 'little bigger than a twin bed'. Is it because of the confined space?

The reality that all the big beds we seem to demand these days are relatively modern. Of course most of us have become bigger than people used to be.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #128

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
A Thought

I like sleeping on a smaller bed. I don't mind sleeping on a full size bed. I also find I sleep better in my trailer than at home. Maybe it's because we do more exercise while camping. Last time we went camping we actually walked 6 miles.
Marky

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #129

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
I like sleeping on a smaller bed. I don't mind sleeping on a full size bed. I also find I sleep better in my trailer than at home. Maybe it's because we do more exercise while camping. Last time we went camping we actually walked 6 miles.
Marky

Hi: MarkyVasquez... I think the best sleep in the trailer syndrome is directly related to the fact that all home work will be there when you get back!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:22 AM   #130

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Marky

You're certainly partially right, the exercise helps. As well the getting away from "it all". Whatever "it all" is.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-27-2015, 04:25 AM   #131

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: MarkyVasquez... I think the best sleep in the trailer syndrome is directly related to the fact that all home work will be there when you get back!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf, We've 'Escaped' the home work, like many long range travelers, by selling the house. There's a feeling of freedom with disposing of a responsibility, sort of like the kids graduating from college to employment.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #132

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
It's also so quiet when we camp. We don't realize that cars, motorcycles, sirens and all kinds of city noise can actually wake us up. Also it's a lot darker in most campgrounds. I've read that keeping the room dark 30 minutes before sleeping will release melatonin, a chemical we use to sleep. We don't realize there is light from our led displays and indicators, light from the corner light outside and other sources can leak into our bedroom and prevent the production of melatonin. Just saying.
Marky

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote