A Very Reluctant Spouse - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #15

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
Thank you all for you responses and helpful suggestions.

To answer your question about the dog-where she goes, he goes. We both worked hard at making him a great dog that loves people. Never hit, he responds so well and truth is- I really think that ruins a dog's personality. I would like to get myself another dog but this one is her turn, we only have one dog at a time.

I agree with the idea of making short trips with her and she may just find that she really likes it. Who knows- the short trips may well cure me of my urge to hit the open road?

That was a great suggestion about the medical coverage. That will be a definate thing to do.

I have not found "my" trailer yet. But I did call my insurance agent to get an idea of costs and was told that they insure NO trailers. So I will have to start checking that out also. I have been with them for almost 40 years, but I think it's time to find a new company...for everything -house, cars and trailers. It kind of surprised me, that he said that, if it was me and I was the agent, I would work a little harder at keeping my customers from looking and pricing other companies, whenever I could ? But maybe that's just "old school".

Old 12-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Depending on how much money you put into the trailer, you might want a company that does a lot of trailer insurance. We have an agent for our trailer who is not our agent for our other insurance because car and house insurance agents often know nothing about trailer coverage. Our trailer agent does business in the town of a big RV company so he knows that business and deals in it regularly.

There is fulltimers insurance from some companies and depending on how many months you are out there, you may need it.

Some companies to check: Good Sam, National Interstate, Foremost, Allied and there are others who do a good business in RVs.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTom View Post
.....I countered with, "I will drive out west with the dog and you can fly out to meet us in Denver or Phoenix". That was followed by a stoney silence and "I am not going, that's final, you are welcome to go by yourself".
Maybe the wife is giving her permission for you to travel...but, her statement could be saying..."Go and your stuff will be in the front yard when you return!

But, it is just as likely she would be very happy to have the house all to her and the dog! After a man retires, many wife's wish their husbands would find a second job and get out of the house!

Bill
Old 12-12-2015, 11:38 PM   #18

Name: cherie
Trailer: casita
Florida
Follow your dream. You only have one life to live. My husband is same as your wife and I plan on going it alone. Bought a Casita and not telling him until I have learned to do it all by myself. Named it, The Dash.... that's the line between the two dates they put in your obituary. Live Your Dash !
Old 12-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Yes, it is amazing to me as a traveler that someone does not want to see new places. I have met such people though.
I don't know. Depends on the circumstances. I turned down two out-of-town trips for the newspaper. One was Sweden for some hockey story and the other was Hong Kong for a business story.
Wasn't interested in spending long hours in airports and hotels and I wasn't interested in the stories.
Who was going to cut my lawn while I was away?
Old 12-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't know. Depends on the circumstances. I turned down two out-of-town trips for the newspaper. One was Sweden for some hockey story and the other was Hong Kong for a business story.
Wasn't interested in spending long hours in airports and hotels and I wasn't interested in the stories.
Who was going to cut my lawn while I was away?
I have to go see! Been to Sweden and Hong Kong and glad to have gone to both and much more. It's better to do the long flights and hours traveling when younger. Depends on how much time there is to actually see the place. You probably would not have had any.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #21

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
A Very Reluctant Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tampa Bay View Post
Follow your dream. You only have one life to live. My husband is same as your wife and I plan on going it alone. Bought a Casita and not telling him until I have learned to do it all by myself. Named it, The Dash.... that's the line between the two dates they put in your obituary. Live Your Dash !

Love your attitude Cherie! Great philosophy on the dash. So true!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I hope not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
After a man retires, many wife's wish their husbands would find a second job and get out of the house!
Bill
I find this thread particularly sad and the quote above as well. It suggests a significant disconnect between a couple, a true lack of understanding between two people.

I have often commented about our retirement, as well I read it in ALf's travels. Retirement has been a wonderful time to grow closer together, not a wedge "to find a separate job" or to travel alone with or without the dog.

As to turning down the opportunity to travel to new places, I never turn down the opportunity for the new. We have a grandson who's taken a six month break from his job to build a clinic in India, I read his blog last night, thrilled by the opportunity to visit INdia through his eyes. I also read a blog of a young woman, a friend of a friend, who's teaching in an Alaskan native American village where she's describing the systemic difficulties of education in these situations. Both of these opportunities are an expansion of my life.

For us our travels are a continued growth, a time of discovery, not a time of repetition. Not the twice a week walk with an old friend, but a daily walk with my best friend as we seek to share the new.

It's strawberry season in FL. Some new friends came over with a Strawberry pie last night and we sat around for hours last night discussing the happy times of our travels, discovering new places to travel, sharing the joys of the road. The other two couples are purely RVing friends, people we've only gotten to know in the last few years, people who have brought new prospective to our lives.

This is never to say we don't love our old friends, but rather that RVing has extended our lives in marvelous ways. I also mean to say I would feel extended by building the clinic in India or teaching in the Native American school. There is more than one way to spark a life.

For Thomas, I'm sorry your dream is not happening. Does you wife have a dream?

In life I find that the most satisfaction comes when satisfying others. In meeting another's need, they meet yours. It's not a game of trickery, but rather a form of coming together.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #23

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: honda03842... Never had "Strawberry per" but that's ok...I can't eat them anyway!!!
I might just be traveling alone to FL. as my wife is having difficulty getting extended out of country Ins. Dickey ticker come back to haunt!!! She did not do well on her "Stress test". Not sure how that will work out?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
After a man retires, many wife's wish their husbands would find a second job and get out of the house!
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I find this thread particularly sad and the quote above as well. It suggests a significant disconnect between a couple, a true lack of understanding between two people.
Do note that Bill had a couple of these smilies added to his post to indicate a bit of tongue in cheek.

Still, I have to somewhat disagree with this statement of yours, Norm. I have seen this in many a very loving relationship. The wife is used to having her own space while the husband is off at work, and for a while when the husband is constantly around, it takes a period of adjustment.

Actually, I believe it is a very healthy thing for couples to have activities separate from each other, I know we do that a fair bit. It adds to life, not takes away from it. It only makes the time together that much more special.

I actually find it sad when a couple is too dependant on each other. Sure it is sweet, but I see too many couples that aged together (a couple very close to my wife and me), who never really had any separate activities as they aged, and when one passes away, the other spends the rest of their life in a funk they can't, or won't, shake.

That said, I very much look forward to the trailer travels I will have with my wife. But, when back at home, I expect we will still have lots of separate activities.

Every relationship is different, and requires different solutions to make it work out for the best.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #25

Name: Eileen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD 17
Florida
My husband did not share my dream of travel and camping.
To overcome his doubts, I found a small fiberglass trailer that holds its value and is easy to tow and maintain.
I then pitched the idea of fulltiming by telling him it was just for two years. If he hated it, we would sell the trailer and settle in one place. Tried to get him not to feel "trapped" by my dream.
Well, we are 15 months, 25,000 miles in to my dream -- and he is talking about Year Three!
We travel with our 80 lb. Chocolate Lab, too.
Life is short - eat dessert first!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
My Mom has a saying, just because somebody is sleeping next to you in bed does not mean you are not alone.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #27

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
FYI
I had a used 16 scamp for 1 year and actually sold for a small profit. Had a 17 Casita for 6 years and lost several hundred dollars when I sold that. Find a good used fiberglass trailer and try it alone. Note that the smaller, the more you will having people coming to see it and meeting people. Luckily my wife is as big a gypsy as I am and we go as much as we can.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #28

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
There is no point in trying to convince your wife to go camping with you. It sounds as though she has pretty firmly stated her views, and sounds quite set in them. By all means, take your trip. If you do not go you will resent her for holding you back.
Some people just don't take to camping, and never will.