A Very Reluctant Spouse - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For sure, at least they should give it a go if the other one is really keen to try. Maybe not a month at first, but give it a try. One often looks at things like camping for its potential shortcomings, and does not see the joys that it can bring beyond that.

When we first met, my wife had done very little backcountry camping, hiking, canoeing, skiing and the like. As I had pretty much lived out there for a few years, she realized if she was to spend time with me, she would have to give it a go. She ended up being very good at doing it, and began to love it nearly as much as me. Though, I still do lots of trips without here, as she is good with staying home, and playing air guitar in her underwear (of whatever it is she really does).
Air Guitar in your underwear... very funny, I'll hold that image for a long time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #42

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
So really there is not national medical insurance in Canada.

Is the Province to Province Insurance as expensive as the out of the country insurance?

When my Canadian friends have become ill in the USA they stabilize them and pretty much hustle them on to a plane and treat them in Canada. Reasonable solution I guess.

By the way thanks for your answers, most of us 'southern Canadians' don't know your laws.
Hi: honda03842...Each provincial health system is able to charge whatever for their cut and poke and ASA's as well as room charges. Therefore it is wise to have "Out of Province" coverage.
When I retired all my excess coverage's stopped at the door. I was able to carry it on for a premium per month... but they only give 30 days away period. I need supplements for my supplements!!!
If I eat Strawberries or Grapefruit I'd be looking from the inside of the ward out!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #43

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For sure, at least they should give it a go if the other one is really keen to try. Maybe not a month at first, but give it a try. One often looks at things like camping for its potential shortcomings, and does not see the joys that it can bring beyond that.

When we first met, my wife had done very little backcountry camping, hiking, canoeing, skiing and the like. As I had pretty much lived out there for a few years, she realized if she was to spend time with me, she would have to give it a go. She ended up being very good at doing it, and began to love it nearly as much as me. Though, I still do lots of trips without here, as she is good with staying home, and playing air guitar in her underwear (of whatever it is she really does).
Hi: Jim Bennett... Your typo here reminds me of the post card sent from Vegas... to the stay at home wife."Having a great time...wish you were her".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #44

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
I would just like to second the advice already given that you should go camping with your dog. Keep the invitation active for your wife to come along but enjoy the gift that she has given you........and let her know that you appreciate it.
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... Your typo here reminds me of the post card sent from Vegas... to the stay at home wife."Having a great time...wish you were her".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie;Wave
LOL... Oops...I have the power to change that, you know, but I might have to delete you post.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #46

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Go on that trip by yourself with the dog...and...it just might be time for a new wife...or...better yet, trade her in for another dog! Dogs are easier to understand.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Take a dog and you might as well stay home. No burger and a beer at the pub, no admission to museums, galleries, stores, no walking the river to flyfish, no cycling.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #48

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
We have two month out of the country insurance as part of our Medicare program.

Norm
I am supposing you mean that you have paid for a private company's coverage in addition to Medicare, a supplement? Medicare does not cover out of country that we know except in very limited situations.

As for a couple not traveling together, everyone is not necessarily on the same life schedule. Couples may take many separate trips for many years prior to retirement. Then they may want to go together upon retirement. Or not.

The OP retired three years ago and his wife apparently has her retirement life set up. Now he announces a month ago that he wants to take off on a great big trip. Perhaps she will become a little more interested as it develops but this just may not suit her life's schedule. They may have had many trips together over the years. And it is possible that that is part of her decision now.

It has only been a month. It needs some time and progress on the trailer. We took a couple of years getting a trailer. I am sure that he will be much faster though!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #49

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
I am supposing you mean that you have paid for a private company's coverage in addition to Medicare, a supplement? Medicare does not cover out of country that we know except in very limited situations.

As for a couple not traveling together, everyone is not necessarily on the same life schedule. Couples may take many separate trips for many years prior to retirement. Then they may want to go together upon retirement. Or not.

The OP retired three years ago and his wife apparently has her retirement life set up. Now he announces a month ago that he wants to take off on a great big trip. Perhaps she will become a little more interested as it develops but this just may not suit her life's schedule. They may have had many trips together over the years. And it is possible that that is part of her decision now.
Cathi,
As to the Medical portion of your quote, we have Medicare like most retired USA citizens. As well to provide full coverage we have a Medicare Supplement.

There's a number of different supplemental programs, I believe something like a few dozen or so. When I studied them they were types A-J. We chose type J because it provides out of the country coverage for two months.

With the supplement we hardly every have a charge. We have been fortunate and rarely need anything out of the normal.

As to partners traveling, of course we don't know the OP. However he suggested a trip of a month's duration. It didn't seem too much to me and personally feel a partner should be that willing . I know people in this class of situation but usually they give traveling a chance before so totally rejecting it..

I do understand everyone's not being on the same life schedule however I'm willing to change my schedule for others and definitely for my wife.

We have friends and family who do think Ginny must have been coerced into the life style. Heck we have people who absolutely can't believe we sleep in our Scamp's bed never mind spent over 300 days in a year in a Scamp.

That said Ginny has taken a few trips without me, traveling with her sisters on occasion. I admit to really missing her when she's gone. For me business took me all over the world, sometimes living keeps you apart, but not by my choice. Silly me.

Having dreams is important. Tom has one and wants to share it, certainly a loving desire. A month is not too long in my mind.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #50

Florida
Cathi,

Here's the info on Medicare supplements and foreign travel.

Standard Medigap Plans C, D, F, G, M, and N provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S.

Plans E, H, I, and J are no longer for sale, but if you bought one before June 1, 2010 you may keep it. All of these plans also provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #51

Florida
Cathi,
Like our SkyMed insurance, any insurance we have including the Medicare supplement is about making Ginny comfortable. Ginny worked in insurance and is travel comfortable knowing we have a measure of protection.

Personally extended medical insurance is not as important to me. To me it's a "cost of doing business".

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #52

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Cathi,
Like our SkyMed insurance, any insurance we have including the Medicare supplement is about making Ginny comfortable. Ginny worked in insurance and is travel comfortable knowing we have a measure of protection.

Personally extended medical insurance is not as important to me. To me it's a "cost of doing business".
Thank you, Norm! Always good to know about these possibilities on insurance.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #53

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
OhTom, my wife and I started out tenting occasionally with the kids when they were small. She knew that I have always wanted some sort of RV for traveling; my parents had a truck camper followed by a motor home when I was growing up, and we traveled. In '99 we tried a pop up trailer for a summer, and didn't care for it. In '05 I bought our first travel trailer, 23' with slide. We took some trips and had fun, although mostly I think she went along because it was my dream.

Then she had some medical issues and couldn't travel for 4-5 years. After that she informed me that she just didn't enjoy traveling and would rather stay home, but that I could go ahead by myself. Well, it felt really strange and wrong for the first week or so of vacationing without her... but once I got over the guilt of leaving her home and the feeling of absence, I began to really enjoy the freedom of those trips. Go where I want, when I want. Eat what I like. Hike until I'm content without having to cut short for her. Go to the clothing-optional hot springs without... well, you get the idea.

Anyway, Tom, don't feel bad about leaving her home. Get out there and live your dream. Keep the offer open to her, but no pressure. Show her pictures (selfies, too), and regale here with tales and descriptions of the wonderful places you've been, when you get home. At some point she may decide to try it. But if not, no real harm done.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #54

.. and take up knitting.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #55

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
twenty-seconding support for the OP to go on a fabulous trip. It sounds like your wife is going to be entirely happy at home, and if she is not, it is her choice. You'll be so glad you decided to go once you get on the road. And from the sounds of it you guys will enjoy a happy reunion when you get back home.

Like a lot of folks here I travel alone quite a lot and with my husband a lot. As a confirmed introvert I crave alone time and make sure I do at least 1-2 weeks of what I call Hermit Vacation every year where I go and do photography in some remote place. He's got conference travel and visits to his parents in europe, and when we get home from these trips there's always plenty to talk about.

Once in a while some random acquaintance wants us to know that we're doing something wrong if we enjoy traveling without a partner, but we don't consider other people's opinions about how we do things to be at all relevant since we're 100% happy with it.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #56

And you could include a knitting convention or similar in your camping itinerary.

Knitter's Review - A Calendar of Knitting Events and Fiber Festivals
Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #57

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
My husband doesn't love camping. I leave him at home. If you don't go you will become resentful (rightly so) just as she would be if you forced her to go with her. Call home every night to check in with her and enjoy your adventures. Take the dog with you.
Gourdamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:45 AM   #58

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
After reading a couple pages of this thread I thought what am I reading this for
They're both adults, I'm sure they can figure it out without anyone else's imput
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:32 AM   #59

Nobody has to read the thread, but the OP was asking for guidance.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:22 AM   #60

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And you could include a knitting convention or similar in your camping itinerary.

Knitter's Review - A Calendar of Knitting Events and Fiber Festivals
Wow Glen- Thank you ! That's a great idea...she could not/would not pass that up. I figure if we get some 2-4 day trips in, she will come around. She's a terrific gal and that bit of stubbornness will wane, in time. My initial thought for this whole idea of travel was to come up with a way for her to see the west. With our own trailer we can evade bed bug motels and still take the dog.

Tom
OhTom is offline   Reply With Quote