aaaaaahhhh! frustrated used buyer market - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Smile

closing a deal on buying a used 17 foot casita 10-15 years old is absolutely the toughest market i have ever tried to break into. i have called and or emailed numerous owners over the last few months with 99% of them not answering back. the couple that did just dropped out of the picture after one reply no explanation. and these are all adds that just appeared within a few hours from the beginning. was i ever wrong thinking the economy today would be a piece of cake finding what i wanted. i am venting!
KellyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Been there, done that... should have gone into the T-Shirt business.

Patience. I'm a believer that things happen for a reason. When the right trailer, FOR YOU, comes along... it will be the perfect answer.

It's okay to vent. You have plenty of company here as many have had the same trials and tribulations.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Kelly,

I have only being looking at trailers (specifically trilliums) for a couple of years but this year I am seeing far fewer fair priced ones and the ones I do see are gone very quickly. But as Donna says, one day all the pieces fall into place and you will a happy egg owner =)
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Patience. I'm a believer that things happen for a reason. When the right trailer, FOR YOU, comes along... it will be the perfect answer.
She's right you know! It took me buying 2 trailers in 2 weeks but honestly the first one was not the right trailer, just was one! Hang in there Kelly, most of us go thru the same thing. There are some lucky ones that happen upon one, having never even seeing one before. But they are few and far between. Most of us yearn for one for awhile. Sorry to hear that sellers aren't even responding to your inquiry's, thankfully I didn't go thru that. Most were so nice and would say, I have someone coming to look but I will call you and let you know if they take it. Sure enough they called me back. Keep looking the Perfect egg is waiting for you. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I agree with Donna whole heartedly! Just keep on track, the RIGHT one will come to you, it is a new relationship you are looking for after all, and it's never easy finding the "right" one to fill the role.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
was i ever wrong thinking the economy today would be a piece of cake finding what i wanted.
When I first found my Fiber Stream, it was parked at the curb of a major street, in an industrial neighborhood, just north of the border between Chula Vista, CA and Tijuana, Mexico. I wasn't actually actively searching for it; I just stumbled upon it as I was traveling between customers during my work day. Just a "For Sale" sign with a price and a phone number.

I called the number and left a message on voice mail... and waited...

...and waited...

...and waited...

I went back by and it was still there.

I tried again...

...and waited...

I tried a third time 3 weeks later, upon seeing it still at the same curb. This time I connected with the owner, on his cell phone. He was living in Tijuana (cheap rent) and working in Chula Vista (higher Wages), and his cell phone only worked on the American side of the border, while he was too busy working as a HVAC mechanic to answer it.

He told me to meet him at the trailer that evening at 5:00 PM. Oh, by the way, there will be 2 other bidders there at that time.

I was there at 4:00 PM.
The other bidders showed up at 5.
The Owner arrived at 5:30

It was determined that since I got there first, I had first right of refusal. I offered $200 less than the asking price due to the damaged refrigerator cabinet, and we struck a deal. The other bidders dropped out without trying to top my bid.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
And we really enjoyed the open house at your Fiber Stream this weekend! Lovely display of books and mags related to 'glass trailers, and the girls wanted to plunk down to take in the movie! I, for one, envied the ample storage, and the bathroom WITH shower. (Ah...my kingdom for a potty room!)

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
I like to read those story , they bring me good memory.. Last year I became a member of this forum and read for the first time about those fiberglass trailers, I decide to get one instead of a stick contruction rig, I found a Trillium 5500 double wheels! (The picture in the album on this forum came from me) I even think this is the only one with this set up at the time...I learn later Trillium built 43 (53?) like this one....She look perfect on the picture, I talk with the broker and he just convince me to make the 200 miles trip to...Well I guest the picture have been done long long time ago because this rig was just a money pit and they ask $9900 for! I return home frustrated by this experience and decide to buy a brand new one!

G...Trillium was out of business (at the moment I didn't know about Escape) I read a bit more and find out about Casita rig...I wrote Casita in the search engine of my favorite dealing site and "BOUM" one Casita 17' is for sale ! They are very rare here and this advertising have just few hours! I jump on the phone and call the owner, he tell me a guy will come this weekend to take a look , I reply I'm coming now sir and I'm serious! He agree so I jump in my truck and get there fast! G... This rig was like new those folks take great care of her , she sleep all is life in a heated garage beside the house of this retired plumbing contractor. I hask him is final price ,he cut $500 if we agree today story end like this.. now she sleep in my heated garage !

You will find a good deal KellyT sooner or later your turn will come
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
And we loved being your neighbors for the weekend. Your wealth of knowledge and generosity were over whelming. Thankyou for a good time.

Alexandra and Mataniu
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote