About Schmidt - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2003, 10:59 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
slowing down

schmidt sounds good to me will see it on video soon.last fall i quit my 40 or more hours a week truck driving jog.new owners took a perfectly enjoyable job and cut benifits and pay and said take it or leave.so after 18 years i left.toke a job driving a school bus work 25 hours a week .those kids keep me in stitches all day.anyway i had to take a job at dominos twice a week to pay off my golf habit.worked my last day there yesterday told them i wanted the summer off to watch my girls.packed the trailer after work and goin to turkey run in indiana this weekend.my girls wanted to stay home and play .tuff youl go and like it.thats what my dad always told us and he was right.so well see how it goes just the three of us.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 06:33 AM   #22

about schmidt

I liked the movie as entertainment.

It might have been neat to have Nicholson -during his transition to retirement - flash back to his youth and show clips from Easy Rider:cool . That could have then been his impetus for hitting the road as a retiree.

I loved his future son in laws diploma: Congratulations on two weeks of perfect attendance.:reyes

Old 06-07-2003, 10:23 AM   #23

Okay... this is a test.... We have two kids graduating this weekend. We have 13 houseguests right now and are expecting 75 for dinner today. After everyone leaves, we are all sitting down to watch About Schmidt. My inlaws have seen it and loved it. So I'll let you know what the gang thinks tonight -- ages 10 through 78.

Nancy

Old 06-08-2003, 10:44 AM   #24

Okay... here are the results from the dozen or so people who watched the movie last night. It was about 50/50 in favor and against the movie. My husband and I liked it -- laughed and groaned all the way through it. My mother hated it -- I think it hit a little too close to home. :/

Nancy

Old 06-08-2003, 11:24 AM   #25

Okay! That confirms it, I'm dense as granite! Will someone please point out ONE SINGLE scene that was funny in that film???? To me there was nothing funny about pitiful old Schmidt not being prepared for retirement - many are not. I did not find it funny that he discovered he could not run a home - not many men can. Where was the humor in finding out his best friend had an affair with his wife earlier in life? That scene in the campground where he mistakes friendship for an advance was very uncomfortable and anything but funny. He simply looked like a lecherous old man that thought he saw an opening and was wrong. The warped relationship with the daughter was not uplifting. The hottub scene made everyone uncomfortable except Kathy Bates. The whole movie was sad and pointless from this chair.

Somebody clue me in.

P.S. Di wants to know this as well.

Old 06-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #26

We saw it at the movies with another couple. Our friend stepped out early- for a smoke, 'before the story got going', so he'd be back for the interesting stuff. He must have missed it - he didn't ever find it and Norm wished he'd gone out too and stayed out. She found it 'poignmant' and laughed frequently. I found it sad and I felt quite uncomfortable for Schmidt. We had expected it to be like the previews-quite funny.
So we're with Ken and Di.
Jean

Old 06-09-2003, 08:37 AM   #27

I think it's all in how one reacts to things. My husband and I laughed because so much of it sounded like our parents and some of it sounds like us already.

Nancy

Old 06-09-2003, 09:14 AM   #28

I think we often laugh to cover the things that would make us uncomfortable if we weren't laughing about it. I've not seen this movie, nor do I intend to. But, it sounds as though it's a 90 minute collection of tragedy -- lost opportunities, warped values, broken relationships and wasted lives. I'd probably cry, just as I'm inclined to do as I watch some of the people who surround me every day. When we spend our lives focused on ourselves, this movie is the natural outcome. If we instead focus on what we are created to be, life will be so much more! I'm not sure this forum is the place for what some would surely see as proselytizing, so I'll refrain, but I believe most people are really missing out.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #29

Finally

Well, you guys got me going. I REALLY wanted to watch it after all of this, so I drove to town to rent it (it will probably be on PPV tonight) and I agree. I thought it was depressing. I can't imagine that it was labeled a comedy. The only time we laughed was when he was in the phone booth trying to call his friend to appologise, and got the "phone tree" which was so typical. To think a persons life could be so boring and awful. And of course the relationship of him and his wife made me crazy, but I guess that's the way alot of relationships are from that generation. A good point for all of us to change now if there is a problem that needs to be fixed. But then, his first problem was buying that Pig and not a little fiberglass!!

Old 06-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #30

the movie

I liked it (I think) and Julie felt the same. it was a bit depressing but at the same time it had some funny parts to it. It does make you want to look at yourself and see where you have been and where your going.

He was definately a man who was not ready to retire and having that young guy take over his job just made him even more sour. It was a story I felt about a guy who just never really took a stand and chance on himself. I mean dang he had to sit to go number 1. It was sad and funny at the same time.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:51 PM   #31

Schmidt

I dont go to many movies anymore, but I talked my wife into going to a low priced matined, and we both laughed like hell. Now she wants me to she wants me to sit down, not stand when using the home facility. Those that saw the movie will understand....

Old 06-20-2003, 11:58 AM   #32

Schmidt

Hi: :wave

I understand that women and men like different movies and have different taste in movies. I have been reading this thread and from a woman's point of view I am going to share how I feel about this movie.

I could not decide what category the movie falls into, be it, comedy or drama, as I didn't think it fit either one. I also could not decide what the idea or theme of the movie was. The movie seemed to me to constantly jump from one thought to another and there was no continuity. I didn't find any humor (maybe I'm warped) and would really appreciate someone describing a scene which they considered to be funny. To me, Schmidt having to sit down to go to the bathroom was not funny but degrading. And then after his wife died and he was "free" and could do whatever he wanted and one scene shows him standing up and urinating all over the toilet, floor and wall, I did not think funny at all but rather sad. I viewed most of the movie as sad to think that after working and sacrificng all those years, this sad, lonely man had nothing and was just floundering about. Maybe the theme was to live and enjoy life while we can and not wait, but I couldn't see where that theme was really carried out.

I, personally think this is one of the worst movies I have seen. I've also noticed on this thread that there is no gray area with this movie...........you either loved it or hated it.

So, come on, those that loved it, please tell me a funny scene or tell me what the thrust of the movie was so I can understand.