AC w/Heat strips - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
AC w/Heat strips

Forgive my ignorance - what does it mean to see ad that includes "AC w/heat strips". What are heat strips?
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Alabama
Electric heat. Similar to what you'd find in a heat pump system in your house.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Basically it is like having a toaster oven inside your a/c with cool air blowing over the electric hot coils to make some heat.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #4

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
We spec'd the Dometic Penguin II low profile AC w/heat strips for the new Outlaw Oliver. We'd had a similar model on our previous Oliver. There is less than $10.00 difference in the price between this one and the one that did not have the heat strips, so if you are buying a new trailer or replacing an old unit my recommendation is to spring for the one with the heat strips...I don't think you will be disappointed. I've not even bothered to use the propane furnace as yet because the heat strips do such a fine job of heating the coach.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Ours works great. No issues. Have to keep it on low most ot the time for the FG camper.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Alabama
Steve, Are you on shore power when using the heat strips? Any idea as to the draw those strips might use?

We had an opportunity to view the tour trailer that is currently on its way to Tx. We were very impressed.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We are glad that our A/C has the heat strips. It's a great way to get heat in your camper without having to take up floor space with an electric heater, or use the noisy gas furnace. You need to be hooked up to shore power to use it though. We do carry a small electric space heater "just in case", but that usually gets lent to people that don't have heat but need it. The heat strips are usually an option available if ordering the A/C. Ours work fine just running off household 110 volts extension.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote