Advice for a newbie? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
This does not help the rattling canvas aspect, but...

I did this course once because I had a car I thought couldn't tow a 13 footer (It could, and I ended up with a Burro.. but I digress...)

I had two different tent trailers I was happy with at the time I had them. A Cub Kamparoo under 300 lbs, and a Coleman Colorado, it was about 600lbs.

The Colorado was a 1/2 tent trailer, meaning it only had a bed on one side, but it had a huge dining area. It also had a soft top, which kept the weight down. It folded out much like the Kamperoo and gave me lots more room. It was bare bones, you had to use your camp stove and cooler etc.

I enjoyed it.. but when I could get a 13, I sold it and moved on to hard sides.
Attached Thumbnails
ecoleman1.jpg  

Old 10-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 1999 Starcraft Star Lite 25RQH
Good Afternoon, Dawn. I am sure that you will be able to find something suitable for your purpose. If you have about $10,000.00 I would suggest that you might look at trading your suzuki for a pick-up truck with a truck camper. You can then leave the camper home when not needed and they are very easy to put on when you want to go hiking. That way, you don't have to worry about the clearence of a trailer. Your truck will handle the clearence and also the weight would not be an issue either. You could also check e-bay and see if there is anything there. Yours in Bolering. Jim

Old 10-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
whaddya know...

Here is a Colorado now

You don't see them very often.

This one differs from mine. I had a "Sport" with a raised axle and offroad package (Kayak rack etc..) but this could easily be converted.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Since you've already done work to your sidekick, I'd say you'd likely be safest going with a teardrop. They're not nearly so big, and generally come in around 750 pounds. Think of them as a glorified tent with hard sides.

One of those, and a dinette tent, and you'd be set.

http://www.outbackteardrop.com/

The link above will give you a good idea of where to start. There are many of these out there, most are homebuilt, with some commercially made models available. E-bay gets them from time to time.

I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but without trading your tow vehicle, it seems one of these would best suit your needs.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'll join Gina praising the Coleman Colorado as a good unit for a small tug. I towed one with a Saturn (orig 85HP engine) rated for 1,000 lbs and got 28 mpg end-to-end on an 8,000 mile trip.

I did carry a large tarp so I could cover it during set-up or break-down in bad weather because the interior is partly exposed during those actions.

Regarding desert sun, the one thing that will make any RV more comfortable is to rig some sort of shade over it to get it out of direct sunlight. Not only will that make it more comfortable during the day, but it will cool down fast for a good night's sleep.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
whaddya know...

Here is a Colorado now

You don't see them very often.

This one differs from mine. I had a "Sport" with a raised axle and offroad package (Kayak rack etc..) but this could easily be converted.
Looks like the same one on Craigslist - asking $2100.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/rvs/448570709.html