Advice for Boler #015 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Name: Tyler
Trailer: Boler
BC-MB
Registry
Advice for Boler #015

Hi All, attached are pics of 'Mel'.

I was home in MB in June for an extended long weekend and randomly checked Kijiji for Boler trailers...I saw this one and made an appointment the next day to see it. He was in 'good'/'bad' shape meaning he was 'pretty original' lol. It would be a bit of a job to get him up to speed. Most impulsive purchase ever, but I've been wanting a Boler or a Trillium for over 10 years and finally have one!

It had been sitting for the last 8 years but the old folks who owned it had used it for several years on camp trips to Riding Mountain prior to that. I think it will need a full overhaul.

I have a few questions for the knowledgeable populace here. The stamp on the tongue says 015 it is indeed an early model and I notice some differences from other flat-tops including the sliding side windows, lack of bumper, and extra tail lights. Here are my questions:

1) Is it a good idea to add a bumper? And would it be better to attach the spare tire to the bumper than to the back of the body?
2) The extra lights on the back: original? Has anybody seen this before? I'm not sure why they'd be added.
3) It's pretty low to the ground (the rear fibreglass has obviously been hooked on the ground before...has anybody found this to be a problem at all?
4) Any other advice on renos?

I would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
port side.jpg   starboard.jpg  

rear.jpg   kitchen.jpg  

kitchenette.jpg  
Tyler W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Very Interesting ! First one of the 'flat-roofed' Bolers I've seen. I'll be interested in learning what year it is, and where it was built? Certainly looks well cared-for. Was it stored 'inside' for the several years? I'd be adding a bumper of some sort right away. Our 1973 has jalousie windows. When were sliders used in Boler builds? We too have similarly installed extra tail-lights but only because of questionable existing wiring. Our spare is bolted to the fiberglass body; but, is partially supported by the rear 'bumper' portion of a longer frame than appears here. Looks like your spare may be indented into the rear FG panel ? Ours isn't. Fascinating - Thanks for sharing! I have so much more to learn.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Tyler, that looks like a sweet Boler with lots of possibility. About your question #3 and the trailer being low to the ground... I was advised when I was shopping that if the body of the trailer has hidden part of the wheel, then frame or axle work is probably called for. Others here know much more about this, so I hope someone else chimes in. But perhaps investigate your frame and suspension first thing...

Enjoy,
Ellpea
Old 08-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #4

Name: Tyler
Trailer: Boler
BC-MB
Registry
Hi Dave, it is a '69 I believe. I agree a bumper seems like a good idea (especially since they were added on to later models). The slider windows seem to be on the old models (though I'd prefer the jalousie I think). You are right, there seems to be an indentation in the interior but the exterior seems flat (a reinforced area?). If the extra lights aren't original then I'll get rid of them and add the princess auto LEDs a lot of people seem to be adding.

Ellpea, thanks for the heads up. From what I have learned from this forum I'll be taking a very close look/detailed overhaul of the frame. 45 year old equipment has done it's job...time for new stuff!
Tyler W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler