Advice from B.C. residents - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Advice from B.C. residents

On tv tonight we watched an hour long show entitled "Above Beautiful British Columbia". Made us want to go. We've been through three times on our way to Alaska. Returned via Prince Rupert, Barkerville. Can't remember other towns. Anyway, looking for some suggestions for next summer. What would be the best time regarding mosquitos and other critters? Thanks for whatever advice you can offer.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
You can't go wrong with Victoria and Vancouver Island - lots to see and do - but be aware the ferry fares are extortionate, even for our little eggs. Mosquitoes are not much of an issue on the coast, and I will let the folks from the fabulous Kootenays fill you in on details there. Looks like you have been through the Cariboo region. I'm really not a city person and avoid Vancouver like the plague, but other city people tell me it's a nice place. Also, check out the Sunshine Coast online - some great spots there.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Oh man were to start but as you have already seen some of the province, Vancouver Island would be at the top of my recommendations as well - Parksville (Rathrevor Beach Provincial Park) and Tofino would be just two must see spots. If you enjoy kayaking you can do some pretty nice day trips out of Tofino. On the way to Tofino you pass though a town called Port Alberni that has a provincial park on a very large fresh water lake (if you are wanting to go fishing this is a hot spot as is Tofino) and up the road is a placed a few miles off the highway called Torquart Bay which puts you pretty close to what is known as the Broken Island group - again if you enjoy kayaking this is another must go area. Port Renfrew - Located two hours northwest of Victoria on Highway 14 is also a great spot as is the Miracle Beach Provincial Park further up island from Parksville. Cape Scott at the northern end of the island is also well worth the trip but no rv camping in the park you can camp outside the park at the San Josef Bay campground. but its actually a 45 minute hike to San Josef Bay which is located inside the park.

Mosquito's are not really an issue on the coast at any time of the year. They are actually not really a big deal in the interior of the province either - at least nothing like what you would find in our eastern provinces.

As was stated the ferry's arent cheap so if you do it I recommend traveling via Washington state ferries to Victoria as they are a cheaper & it may save you some time at the main border line up. If you do the Washington State ferry route it will take you close to some great camping areas in Washington state as well.

The Kokannee's is another amazing area.
Wells Gray Provincial park near Clearwater BC is another nice provincial park.

A lot of people enjoy camping up through Squamish, Whistler and Lillooet area - you can carry right on up through into the Fraser Canyon from Lillooet and do a loop back down and check out places such as Manning Park area on your way back. The most common critter other than raccons you will see along that route is the Black Bear but they are pretty harmless if you dont leave food etc out for them. Even then they are pretty well harmless as long as you let them finish what ever it is they managed to steal.

You have a pretty good chance of running into a Black Bears on the northern end and west coast of Vancouver Island as well, as well as deer and wolfs. Vancouver Island also has a large cougar population but it is not as common to actually see one and in fact seeing one isnt really something you want to do and as far as I am concern it is the one critter that gives me any level of concern. The good news is that the odds of seeing one are not very high so not something to be overly concerned about - just make sure you carry a good knife in your pocket when hiking and read up on what you should and should not do on the off chance you do see one. If you travel to Vancouver Island in the spring or fall the grey whales are migrating so its a good bet you will see a few of those big critters as well. :-) It is possible to see the killer whales any time of year on the west coast but where and when you might see them isnt as predictable.

A pretty good website to take a look through is Camping & RVing BC

as well as BC Parks
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #4

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Have you done all of the Alaska routes? The alaska highway through the Peace River country, Highway 37 through Dease Lake, Stewart and the Nass River Valley. Down South the okanogan and kootenay regions are very nice. Went to Vancouver Island myself this summer as I have family there. Cost of Ferry to and from for a 34 foot truck trailer combo? A mere $350.00

As for mosquitoes August and September are the best months for fewer mosquitos.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Good suggestions so far.
My take on the ferries is that it cost me 100.00 dollars in gas to travel 225 miles to the Okanagan from Vancouver each way. The cost of going from Vancouver to Vancouver Island is about 135.00 each way and once on the Island I could spend weeks there so in my mind it does not seem that high.

You would need to know that travel around the province in July & Aug bookings are heavy at campsites.

The Okanagan Valley in summer is hot and dry prime fruit growing area and almost no bugs temps in the 90s but great lakes and scenery.
Many do a loop heading up the middle of the province and down Jasper & Banff National Parks .

June & September are also good months to travel.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #6

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Good suggestions so far.
My take on the ferries is that it cost me 100.00 dollars in gas to travel 225 miles to the Okanagan from Vancouver each way. The cost of going from Vancouver to Vancouver Island is about 135.00 each way and once on the Island I could spend weeks there so in my mind it does not seem that high.

You would need to know that travel around the province in July & Aug bookings are heavy at campsites.

The Okanagan Valley in summer is hot and dry prime fruit growing area and almost no bugs temps in the 90s but great lakes and scenery.
Many do a loop heading up the middle of the province and down Jasper & Banff National Parks .

June & September are also good months to travel.
You could spend weeks on Vancouver Island IF you have the time. I had 1 week and boondocked on my grandmothers acreage near victoria. That means it cost me $50 a day plus groceries and entertainment and I was getting off cheap. I figured I would need to spend at least a month there to get the cost down to a frugal level IF I could still camp for free. I enjoyed my time there very much. It had been 10 years since I had visited last and I am not sure how soon I will go back.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
The Kootenays in most areas are still fairly quiet in July and August. Especially up in the Nakusp area and the Slocan valley - Silverton, New Denver etc. There are a couple of large really quiet lakes ideal for kayaking etc or just sitting on the beach. Nelson is also a really neat 'alternative' type town on a lake with some older heritage buildings and some yummy cafes.
There are some mosquitos but most areas aren't bad.
There are also several free ferries in the area which are very scenic.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #8

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Just posting to "subscribe" to the thread! Will read up on it when I have a moment.

Good stuff!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote

« hinges | Bathroom? »