Advice -- Is this a fair price -- Perris Pacer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
There are ALWAYS two prices. What the seller is willing to settle for and what the maximum a buyer wants to pay. It's up to the two parties to meet in the middle or NOT.

When it comes to an all-olded-towables, you (as the buyer) have to decide who much work you're willing to put forth (after buy), your skills and abilities and YOUR BUDGET. AND, when was the LAST time you saw an all-molded towable in "its" condition that was acceptable to you in YOUR area or willingly driving distance.

There are some willing to wait YEARS for that cheap/perfect trailer. Maybe you... maybe not.

Best of luck in your egg hunt!

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #16
Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
Claire, not counting the Reflectex, since you already would have that (lucky you, you won't have to scrape the old insulation off!), 14 linear yards of marine hulliner from cost us $200 including shipping. The glue, 3M-90 spray adhesive, cost around $12.00 a can, don't know how many cans we used, but it was a few cans.

Being newbies, the main part of the job took us a day and a half. I'm finishing the seam work and window work now. The tricky part for us was trying to figure out the least number of seams we could get away with.

You said the cushions were ugly, upholstery is not cheap if you wish to replace them. We replaced our cushions. The entire set cost us only $350 dollars including brand new foam (great quality), marine grade zippers and a very nice Bella fabric. To be fair, we happened to get a rock'n deal, the guy did a fantastic/perfect job, he usually does boat upholstery. I don't know if work was slow for him or what, just happy to get a deal, so I didn't ask questions

ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #17
Name: Claire
Trailer: Scamp
You guys are SO helpful! Thank you so much for your insight. We're going to look at the PP trailer tomorrow afternoon & will let you know how it goes!
ClaireWolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
Name: Craig
No it is not a steel of a deal.........But, the big question is....... How much of a hurry are you in? As it get closer to summer it will be harder to find this type of trailer. How far are you willing to travel to purchase a trailer ? So if this trailer meets your needs and budget ....and if your ready to start camping..... Maybe it is the right deal for you. There always going to be people that got more for less and people that got less for more. Good luck. Craig

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Toaster Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #19
Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Wow, $5800 for a 1984 13' Pacer. My sister bought this exact model about ten years ago for about $1500. At the time, she thought that was way too much, but it was so cute she had to have it. She sold it a couple of years later and broke even.

I guess this thread illustrates how demand has driven up the value in these old FG trailers. But anyone who buys a 30-year old travel trailer has to decide for themselves how much it is worth to them. I once paid 4 grand for a 15 year old Scamp 16. The fiberglass was good, but everything else was worn out. Axle shot, frame rusted out, etc. If you are looking for a hassle-free way to just go camping, paying top dollar for a vintage trailer may not be the way to go. There are many people on this forum who are very skilled and ambitious and love to tinker on their vintage trailers. Some of their trailers are truly works of art. The rest of us have to weigh whether we are buying the trailer more for camping or for having a great hobby to keep us busy.

On the other hand, if you are willing and able to upgrade and repair an old FG trailer, you can probably count on at least getting your money back or more. No other type of RV, except maybe vintage Airstreams, have that going for them.

I have a good friend who camps in the back of his Toyota pickup truck with a fiberglass shell. I used to encourage him to buy a used fiberglass trailer. He is not handy and doesn't want something that needs to be worked on all the time. After looking at ads for the last year and a half on used fiberglass trailers, I have stopped recommending this idea to him. There is very little in his price range in good enough shape to really be a good investment for him. And they sell so fast, we can't get there fast enough to even look. My friend is so frustrated he is now looking at other types of trailers. Can't really blame him.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #20
Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
In June of 2011 I drove about 700 miles each way to go look at and buy a 1983 Burro. It was in mid-rebuild, but it had already had the largest, and for me most un-doable part done; the body had been lifted off the frame, the floor was completely replaced and the rolling chassis had been reassembled. This is where I came in, with no electrics, no propane, no refrigerator, and no plumbing. It was what I wanted for the task at hand and I willingly paid $2500 for it, knowing what I was getting.

Now you have to decide whether this Perris Pacer is going to be what you want and whether you can do whatever is needed to make it fill your needs and still feel comfortable with the price. If you could back your T/V up to it and drive off to your first camping experience, the price would be pretty good... how much do you have to do to it to make it suit you and how much time and money will that involve?

Just some food for thought.
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #21
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
For $5800.00 dollars the trailer should look like new.

I fully restored a Lil Big Foot.
To recover the existing foam insulation properly I had to gut the trailer,
The cost about $600.00.

Make sure the refrigerator is COLD, not cool but COLD.
It take at least 24 hours for an RV refrigerator to cool down so ask the seller to turn it on today.
I think the price is to high for a trailer with unfinished walls.

I should have been a little more specific in my post yesterday.
The $600.00 figure was the cost of the Rat Fur and the labor cost of having an upholstery shop install it.

Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #22
Name: Claire
We went to look at the PP trailer today. It was cute but several things needed significant updating -- of course the reflective, unfinished walls. The lock on the front door did not work, the axel was pretty rusted & a few other things. I definitely did not feel it was worth $5800. I spent the past few days looking at comparable PP trailers in our area, in better or similar shape...none we're priced at over $3800. I asked the husband of the couple selling if they'd be willing to negotiate price because I didn't feel comfortable paying $5800 for it. He said yes he'd be willing to negotiate. I offered $3500 & his wife immediately changed her demeanor with me & basically shut down any further negotiating. Before I knew it she was shuffling her husband into the garage & shutting the door on us. So I guess this particular PP trailer is not meant to be We are fine with that though because I really do feel it was way overpriced. Thank you all so very much for your advice. It's really helped with the beginning of our hunt for the perfect travel trailer. Wish us luck as this hunt continues

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
ClaireWolfson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #23
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
I think you dodged a bullet
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #24
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Claire, I have been into fibreglass trailers for about 3 years now.
Trillium 4500 for a family of 7
In that time I have purchased 6 trailers at very good prices. Actually, it has been over a year since the last one, for $100.
I was sure I was done buying Trilliums for Now
So that is about thee per year, for two years. There will be other trailers, (I am fond of Trilliums). Don't be discouraged.

You will find what you are looking for, if you keep looking.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #25
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Claire, you made a very reasonable offer. I feel walking away was a good move. Keep looking. The right trailer for you is out there somewhere.

A rusted axle may be perfectly serviceable and just needs a clean up. With torsion axles it's best to check the torsion part of the unit.
Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #26
Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
Claire, that trailer wasn't meant for you. I think the right one will come along, things usually have a way of working out.

ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote

perris pacer