Advice Needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Fay
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Advice Needed

I am brand new today and could really use some advise. I bought a 1988 boler 13ft back in late August. It was in fair shape but not what I wanted so began my journey. I redid the plumbing, electrical, strip the carpet off the walls yes I said carpet, so then I was left with glue and carpet fibers to re cover. I was thinking about using some type of roll on texture paint but cannot find anyone locally with enough knowledge. I have also stripped the cupboard doors and will rebuild them and did some fiberglassing on the outside and had it painted. I would really appreciate any advice for the inside walls as I am at a lost.
Thank You
Fay Wambolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I have zero experience with this, but a thought crossed my mind. What about something like this?
Homax 16 oz. Aerosol Ceiling Popcorn Professional Match Texture-4070-06 at The Home Depot
If one could spray on a popcorn texture, it would cover a multitude of imperfections. Some people also turn this into a "knockdown texture" by skimming lightly over it while fresh with a trowel. Just a wild thought. I'm sure some folks with actual experience will chime in soon.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
Thanks mike I have been looking at all these products but most require a porous surface. I even spoke to the rust-oleum factory. But maybe these other products would work. Not sure about cracking when movement occurs. hopefully someone out there has tried some of these products.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Fay.
I know you will have some great memories with this.
(well, maybe after it's over...lol)

I know there are lots of folks on here who do have the experiences.
And we would all love to follow your journey with you if you have pics.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
I've not re-done my Casita walls, but I would caution using anything like the spray on texture. Remember your TT walls are all within reach and many of the ceiling textures are not made to be touched. In fact, they are very fragile.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #6

Nova Scotia
I would be glad to add pictures I will download from my camera this weekend. And will continue to add as my journey continues. This is the only picture on my computer. More to follow.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Somebody with more experience or the link will chime in here but I do remember seeing somebody redo their interior with the spray on truck bed liner type material. It flexed while under way and had no problem being touched and was easy to clean yet didn't add a ton of weight but did add insulation. Maybe search for "spray on bed liner" and see if the thread comes up. Please post pix as we looooove pix!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
My question is are you wanting just a nice looking finish on the interior wall or are you wanting a more functional insulated interior and finish (this would be my recommendation to have some control over temperature, condensation and noise)? There are several threads on using the reflectix insulation then covering that with Marine Hull Liner.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Thank you all for the advice I will research all suggestions. To answer your question Ian I would hope to have something nice and functional. I live in an area that has limited tech support for the reno of a travel trailer. So I was hoping to do it myself. My biggest problem is, is that I do not have a smooth surface to start. If I do not paint what other types of products do they use for the walls. I do have a roll of carbon fibre but the surface is not smooth enough for this product.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I think you best source for help may be the DIY marine enthusiast. This group are "experts" (I use the term with some caution) on installing hull liner, with and without insulation, on rough fiberglass that is curving in every direction. Sounds to me just what you have with your Boler. There are many videos on YouTube which capture the experiences of those installing insulation and the hull liner on their nautical rebuilds.

Probably worth a look and at least a starting point. But I would highly recommend that you install some insulation, without it in the Canadian climate you will have considerable condensation inside your trailer.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Your answer might be be found in what was used back in the 50's and 60's Airstreams, "ZolaTone" paint. It is a multi color/multi texture paint popular with boat builders and others and it comes in a multitude of colors and patterns. There is almost no imperfection that it won't mask...

Here's a link to a supplier with some color samples a few pages down. Easy Peasy I'd say.

Zolatone - Buy Warehouse Direct and Save

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Do you have anything but bare fiberglass walls and fuzzy stuff left from removing the carpet? What do you plan to use for insulation? THAT's what I do, Reflectix followed by Hull Liner. Otherwise, you're going to have a non-insulated trailer.... but, maybe that's what you want?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Fay, there are several members here who have done just what you are looking to do. I think some documented their experience in our Modifications forum. I copied a couple of links below, but there are several others. And welcome to FiberglassRV.com!

Here's one that used the marine headliner over reflectix: Boler Interior Resto

And here's one that used ensolite:
Rebuild of a Trillium Sportsman.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #14

Nova Scotia
I am so happy

I am so happy that I took the time to join all of your advice and help is wonderful. I hope to post some pictures on the weekend. Thank you again.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Without insulation condensation can become more of a problem. On a cool night moisture from you breathing or activities hits cool fiberglass and condensation forms on the inside walls. That said there have been some that just painted, have to do something otherwise your camper becomes a magic lantern show if lit from the inside at night.

I recall someone using those interlocking colored floor tiles used for children's play areas. Can not seem to locate that thread but it was something like these http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/foam/jumbo-soft-tile.html

Maybe someone will be able to recall enough about that thread to find it with a site search.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Welcome to FGRV Fay,
What part of NS are you from? We have some very knowledgeable members there.
Roger, I think it was AndrewGPSnut (sp?) that used the interlocking floor tiles.

Tom from TrilliumRV sells an ensolite replacement and T molding. I'd like to think you could get the clips from him as well.

I've got a tonneau cover that rolls up into a canister at the front of the box. It is made with aluminum slats that are covered with a sheet of foam backed vinyl. I'll have to check the brand, but I think it's this Retractable Tonneau Cover For Your Truck Bed
I'm not sure what they are using, but if it lasts a decade on the outside of my truck, it must surely hold up on the inside of a trailer. Only problem I see is that it is black, not sure if it can be found in other colours.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #17

Nova Scotia
Thanks Roy
I'm from Marion bridge as the song goes out on the Mira on Cape Breton Island. I am still weighing all suggestions thus far no rush until spring. I appreciate all the advice. And look forward to ongoing conversations.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I recall someone using those interlocking colored floor tiles used for children's play areas. Can not seem to locate that thread ...
This one Roger? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-46674.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm not sure who is close to you Fay. I was initially thinking of Jim who is past Halifax from you. Check out the archives of the past NS rally and you might recognize someone close to you.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-54898.html

I double checked the brand of my Tonneau. It was made by http://www.pace-edwards.com/
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #20
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Keep in mind. In the early days of Boler production, condensation was apparently a problem.
If you have ever camped out in a trailer or a tent with condensation in it, that is not fun in my option.
Hence they chose to line the shell with Ensolite which helped stop that and gave a little protection from heat/cold transfer through the Fiberglass shall.
Mary picked up on the threads I was thinking of. There si still a similar product available like Ensolite.

And how is Roy in TO. We were thru there in 2011 on a cross Canada trip in our 17' Bigfoot. I haven't been on the forum for quite awhile.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote