Advice on fiberglass RV ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I havent been in a state or national park where dogs where not welcome in the campground as long as they are on leash. Some of the state/national parks do restrict some of the trails they can be walked on though. Some private campgrounds dont permit dogs but most do. Some of the private places will charge an extra fee (around 4 or 5 dollars) per dog others no fee.

In my experience with traveling with a large dog for 4 years and now having spent the last year or so without one with me there are give and takes either way. When traveling with a dog its hard to stop in warm weather when ever you want to explore a shop or check out a restaurant as its to hot to leave them in the car. On the other hand you are more likely to stop and explore an area so they can get some exercise along the way that you may not have otherwise stopped at. Have discovered some great parks/hiking areas that way.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #16

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
As Roy mentioned, the gathering at Algonac State Park north of Detroit would be quite close to Toledo. This gathering is Sept. 7-9 and has a wide variety of eggs coming. I think there are close to 20 units registered. Saturday the 8th could be a nice day for you to catch everyone. The group pretty much scatters on Sunday to head home.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #17

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
We've only come across one campground that didn't allow pets. It was at a recreation area in the Blackwater State Forest in Florida, (Krul Recreation Area).
Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiaia View Post
Dear Members:

2. towable with a minivan or small truck (3500lbs tow capacity -preferably under 2400lbs)

6. Queen size bed (or adaptability for such)
Good day, If you go for a Mini Van be aware. Some have outstanding towing capabilities and will easily handle 3,500lbs while other brands are marginal. If you go that route get back to us here for recomendations.

I like your idea of a good sized bed. We easily upsized our smallish double into a King. Sure it took up the walkway but you don't need that much when sleeping. In the morning it all folds up back into a couch.

Shown here....
Attached Thumbnails
King size bed.jpg  
Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I like your idea of a good sized bed. We easily upsized our smallish double into a King. Sure it took up the walkway but you don't need that much when sleeping. In the morning it all folds up back into a couch.

Shown here....
And this trailer brand is???
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Trailer Brand
Sez they own a Airstream. That looks like they "easily" converted a full bed, located between the kitchen & bathroom suites, into a king. We had a similar floorplan in our 25' Airstream Globetrotter, albeit some 35 years ago, at the dawn of the molded fiberglass trailer era.

Again, if you want a really big bed in a small trailer the choices are very limited, and you will have to give up something else to get that feature. But here's a tip... Egg shaped trailers (SCAMP, Lil' Bigfoot. etc.) usually have tighter sleeping arrangements due to the shape of the corners. More square shaped trailers (Trillium, Hunter etc.) have a bit more sleeping space.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Trailer Brand
Sez they own a Airstream.
I saw that Bob in his profile. I just want newbes and lookers to realize what happens in an Airstream may not apply to a fiberglass trailer. When I read the info, the "couch" threw me until I noticed the brand.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
I wouldn't dream of traveling without my boys. The number one consideration would be A/C. Leaving any animal in a closed up vehicle in the heat isn't a good idea. Other than that they do just fine.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #23

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
I camp with my big guy as well. Aside from the things already mentioned - especially the temperature considerations for a dog, I would like to put in a plug for courtesy. Most dog people are respectful of others, but do remember to bring and use your poop bags and if they are yappy critters, figure out a way to keep them quiet while others may be trying to sleep.

Cathy
Old 08-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #24

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Towable with a minivan. Our Chrysler minivan has a 3500# tow capacity.Our Egg Camper has a GVWR of 2500# so, if it's not loaded above that figure it fits the 3500# max. We've towed our trailer with the Chrysler and it does a good job. We don't tow with that anymore because our Chevy Silverado seats are much more comfortable. We use a queen bed at home but the double in the Egg Camper has not caused any issues. The end of the bed by the dinette could be made wider.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I saw that Bob in his profile. I just want newbes and lookers to realize what happens in an Airstream may not apply to a fiberglass trailer. When I read the info, the "couch" threw me until I noticed the brand.
Yes, a 23' vintage Airstream. No doubt a king bed in an egg may be a stretch but the idea of my post was to inspire creative thinking when it comes to mods and upgrades. Heck, I once had the idea of building a slide on our Airstream. Then I realized that I didn't have the year it would take to design, engineer, and construct the project.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #26

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiaia View Post
Hi All:

I have another question unrelated to fiberglass campers. We are planning on traveling (at least the initial few years) with 2 small dogs. Probably for starters for only 3-4 weeks stretches at the most. I am wondering how constraining having pets along will be in terms of places to stay e.g campgrounds, state/national parks etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick & Margie
My biggest issue is with keeping the dog(s) at a safe temperature, as opposed to any restrictions imposed from the outside. Recently, we used a crate and a 10x10 canopy to leave the dog outside while we did activities where the dog could not accompany us. Our dog is not a barker.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Our dog is not a barker.
My kind of dog TG. The only thing worse than a barking dog is loud, noisy kids....LOL

PS...oh and one other thing. Kids tossing a baseball 5' from my car/trailer.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #28

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
My kind of dog TG. The only thing worse than a barking dog is loud, noisy kids....LOL

PS...oh and one other thing. Kids tossing a baseball 5' from my car/trailer.
+1. Only thing worse for me is loose dogs - which seems common in Michigan's upper peninsula campgrounds. I like to stroll the campground and check out rigs. Don't need to be greeted by a loose, aggressive pooch.