Advice on fiberglass RV ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: nick
Trailer: in the market
Ohio
Advice on fiberglass RV ?

Dear Members:

The wife and I will be retiring next year and are looking to do a bit of traveling and see some of the sights of this great country that we were never able to see, when working 65hr weeks at our jobs. We would like to purchase a small manageable camper that could be used for 4-6week trips across country. We are looking for something with the following attributes:

1. easily manageable by a couple in their mid 60s
2. towable with a minivan or small truck (3500lbs tow capacity -preferably under 2400lbs)
3. self contained, ( with reasonable holding tanks), as we would be dry camping for some of our trips
4. a shower is a must (indoor preferred, but external might work also)
5. DC roof fan (e.g fantastic fan) for off grid use - AC & furnace for when hooked up
6. Queen size bed (or adaptability for such)

Could anyone make suggestions – I had been initially looking at older casita or scamp campers as possibilities but I am not sure of such thing as - 2 way or 3 way fridges – showers - in these older units – or roof mounted DC fans etc. Its it possible to fairly easily retrofit one of these with newer appliances? Is it also possible to attach roof mounted solar panels to these. I have never seen one in person but I am guessing that mounting anything to the walls or roof requires drilling through the fiberglass shell and this would seem to be problematic from a water leak prospective. I was also looking at Boler and Burros, but these might be a bit small for our needs.

Any comments, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
nchiaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #2

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiaia View Post
Dear Members:

The wife and I will be retiring next year and are looking to do a bit of traveling and see some of the sights of this great country that we were never able to see, when working 65hr weeks at our jobs. We would like to purchase a small manageable camper that could be used for 4-6week trips across country. We are looking for something with the following attributes:

2. towable with a minivan or small truck (3500lbs tow capacity -preferably under 2400lbs)
3. self contained, ( with reasonable holding tanks), as we would be dry camping for some of our trips
4. a shower is a must (indoor preferred, but external might work also)
5. DC roof fan (e.g fantastic fan) for off grid use - AC & furnace for when hooked up

Could anyone make suggestions – I had been initially looking at older casita or scamp campers as possibilities but I am not sure of such thing as - 2 way or 3 way fridges – showers - in these older units – or roof mounted DC fans etc. Its it possible to fairly easily retrofit one of these with newer appliances? Is it also possible to attach roof mounted solar panels to these. I have never seen one in person but I am guessing that mounting anything to the walls or roof requires drilling through the fiberglass shell and this would seem to be problematic from a water leak prospective. I was also looking at Boler and Burros, but these might be a bit small for our needs.

I think a 16' Scamp or Casita might work well. 13' footers with a shower will leave little room for 2 people in my opinion. Yes you can put on solar panels, some have even done it without drilling, there are flexible ones you can tape to the roof. Appliances generally can be swapped out with newer/different ones, but how hard that is is certainly a matter appliance selection and especially of perspective. What is easy for an experienced DIYer might be impossible for someone not used to working with their hands, doing wiring, etc. Some older appliances well maintained can still work great. My 11 year old 3 way fridge works wonderfully. Not sure how the previous owner maintained it. Fans are pretty universal and most trailers come with a standard sized 14" fan or at least simple vent, moving to a newer model isn't too hard, but will probably mean drilling out rivets, scraping sealants and re-riveting/bolting, re-caulking etc. A good RV shop should be able to swap fans/vents without charging too much.

Good luck and welcome!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Updating an old trailer

I think it's easy to replace virtually every appliance in a trailer. The only one of concern is the refridgerator, primarily becuse it's expensive.

Our Scamp 16 was 20 years old when we purchased it last year. Most people who see it believe it's virtually new.

We have not had to replace anything in our trailer except the light bulbs and some exterior plastic pieces.

We replaced the light bulbs with LEDs to make boondocking more possible. We also added a solar panel (80 watts) to our roof. Ours are simply taped to the roof with Scotch Exterior Very High Bond strength tape. After 19,000 miles the panel is solidly in place.

I do not in any way think that a fiberglass trailer is too much for people with normal health. If anything traveling about in an RV has made us both physically and mentally healthier.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
A Lil Snoozy meets all of the criteria you mentioned. I do not know where in Ohio you reside, but Pittsburgh is a mere 3.5 hrs. from Columbus. You are welcome to come and see our Lil Snoozy. No camper is perfect and they all have there strong points and shortfalls (which may vary for different people), but I never hesitate to recommend Lil Snoozy. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
A Scamp or Escape 5th wheel would suit your requirements. (Queen Bed, shower + small truck).
You don't say where in Ohio you are but there are a few meets coming up that you could drive to, see a lot of trailers and ask lots of questions.
Rally map link
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
The point on your list that jumped out at me was the queen size bed. Most trailers (scamp, casita...) have a 48 or 54" bed which is small, but doable for us. Eggcamper and Snoozy have bigger beds. This is not a complete list. I would encourage you to figure out what you really need. My wife and I were worried about a 48" bed, but it turned out to work pretty well for us.

As far as modifications for appliances, etc... we have done several of these modifications and I think it is doable for most people who are moderately handy with tools.

In general, we got a fiberglass RV to try out the lifestyle you are discussing right down to the minivan etc.... We love it and I hope it works out for you as well.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You came to the right place to find out about small FGRV's. Best bet is to try to read a few thousand (?) posts and ask questions before you start looking (not buying) at rigs for sale. Buying tips also include: a) Look at a lot before deciding what brand & floorplan features you want. b) If possible, rent one for a few days and try out the life style it offers. c) Know that prices peak in the late spring and summer, try to buy in early winter when prices bottom out each year. d) Having to have more than minor repairs done by a shop can get very expensive. Buy the best rig you can afford.
Good Luck and ask lots of questions...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Most any lightweght trailer will have relatively small tanks. Water is heavy! But you can supplement by carrying extra fresh water in your tow vehicle. Just pour into tank as needed.

My fresh tank is only 10 gal. Alone and drinking bottled water, it lasts me 3 days. Not much.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Dear Members:

Most fiberglass trailers are managebale even by solo's. So you guys should be fine.........

This is where your going to be limited. Of course there are those who will disagree with that statement , my suggestions is, follow your vehicle manufacture guide lines. The point of rv-ing is to enjoy your selfs, so doing it the right way makes it all the better...... And my suggestion would be to weigh anything your thinking of purchasing to know exactly what it weighs........

Welcome to fiberglass rv! Wishing you and your wife fun in your retirment, hope you find your perfect trailer! Enjoy the journey! I would really recommend attending a rally near you, perhaps, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-51313.html

Ewww, now you guys can all Pm him and tell him I don't know what I am talking about....... Good luck with that way of thinking!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #10

Ohio
Thanks to all

Thanks to all of you for you helpful replies to my post. As I am in the very beginning stages of my search I will have many questions. This forum seems very friendly. I think I will try to arrange a visit to the Fall Rally in southern Ohio. This is about 4 hrs from Toledo, but seems like it might be well worth the trip.
Again- Thank you all for your suggestions
Nick & Margie
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
My wife & I are both in our 70s. We have an Egg Camper which we have towed with our Chrysler minivan and with our Chevy pickup. We prefer the Chevy because the seats are way more comfortable than the Chrysler seats. The Chrysler did a good job towing. The Egg Camper has a toilet/shower combination, a dinette suitable for two persons and will make into a one person bed. We had the choice of a convertible couch or permanent bed in the back. We chose the permanent bed. It can be had as an all electric trailer (ours is) or with propane. Either way, the fridge is a compressor fridge (like a home fridge) so it doesn't have to be level. It's a bit wider & taller than some of the others so it will accommodate taller people if that's an issue for you. More storage space than we can use. No rivets through to the outside as in Casita & Scamp. LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Nick the Algonac meet in Marine city is about 1/2 the distance and the one in Niagara falls is about 5.5 hours.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I think I will try to arrange a visit to the Fall Rally in southern Ohio. This is about 4 hrs from Toledo, but seems like it might be well worth the trip.
Nick & Margie
It would be a great fact finding mission. Hopefully lot's of brands will be there for you to look at. Enjoy! Good luck to you......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
My wife & I are both in our 70s. We have an Egg Camper.
Totally second that opinion. Would be a great option to look at.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #14

Ohio
traveling with pets

Hi All:

I have another question unrelated to fiberglass campers. We are planning on traveling (at least the initial few years) with 2 small dogs. Probably for starters for only 3-4 weeks stretches at the most. I am wondering how constraining having pets along will be in terms of places to stay e.g campgrounds, state/national parks etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick & Margie
Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I havent been in a state or national park where dogs where not welcome in the campground as long as they are on leash. Some of the state/national parks do restrict some of the trails they can be walked on though. Some private campgrounds dont permit dogs but most do. Some of the private places will charge an extra fee (around 4 or 5 dollars) per dog others no fee.

In my experience with traveling with a large dog for 4 years and now having spent the last year or so without one with me there are give and takes either way. When traveling with a dog its hard to stop in warm weather when ever you want to explore a shop or check out a restaurant as its to hot to leave them in the car. On the other hand you are more likely to stop and explore an area so they can get some exercise along the way that you may not have otherwise stopped at. Have discovered some great parks/hiking areas that way.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
As Roy mentioned, the gathering at Algonac State Park north of Detroit would be quite close to Toledo. This gathering is Sept. 7-9 and has a wide variety of eggs coming. I think there are close to 20 units registered. Saturday the 8th could be a nice day for you to catch everyone. The group pretty much scatters on Sunday to head home.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We've only come across one campground that didn't allow pets. It was at a recreation area in the Blackwater State Forest in Florida, (Krul Recreation Area).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Dear Members:

Good day, If you go for a Mini Van be aware. Some have outstanding towing capabilities and will easily handle 3,500lbs while other brands are marginal. If you go that route get back to us here for recomendations.

I like your idea of a good sized bed. We easily upsized our smallish double into a King. Sure it took up the walkway but you don't need that much when sleeping. In the morning it all folds up back into a couch.

Shown here....
Attached Thumbnails
King size bed.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I like your idea of a good sized bed. We easily upsized our smallish double into a King. Sure it took up the walkway but you don't need that much when sleeping. In the morning it all folds up back into a couch.

Shown here....
And this trailer brand is???
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Trailer Brand
Sez they own a Airstream. That looks like they "easily" converted a full bed, located between the kitchen & bathroom suites, into a king. We had a similar floorplan in our 25' Airstream Globetrotter, albeit some 35 years ago, at the dawn of the molded fiberglass trailer era.

Again, if you want a really big bed in a small trailer the choices are very limited, and you will have to give up something else to get that feature. But here's a tip... Egg shaped trailers (SCAMP, Lil' Bigfoot. etc.) usually have tighter sleeping arrangements due to the shape of the corners. More square shaped trailers (Trillium, Hunter etc.) have a bit more sleeping space.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote