Advice on which 13' - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #29

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Raya, I did not take it as a UHaul jab. It is an issue to consider. I was just adding that it can be worked around.
Someone did plumb a whole bathroom in the front of a UHaul. I think the description and pix are over on uhaulcamper.com.

CindyL

Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #30

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Okay, great Cindy, I just wasn't sure.

I looked at a Scamp 13 wherein the owners had removed the front bench, walled off that whole section, and installed a shower and a toilet. For myself, I couldn't see using 1/4 to 1/3 of the trailer for a room where I only spend ten minutes a day, but I know that for others it would be a huge plus. I missed the visual space, and the area by the door to set stuff down, etc. Also, on that particular camper it was done in plywood, and was a bit rough. I'm sure it could be done nicely.

Raya

Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #31

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I agree with Raya, every inch put into a bathroom takes an inch from somewhere else. I'd rather have more storage or a bigger bed!

If looking to buy used, first (or second) concern has to be budget, then tow capacity (that could be first too!). There are many, many brands of 13 foot trailers that come up in the used market. Fewer available the larger the trailer. Then there's availability and how far one is willing to drive to view/buy. There are some that don't want to drive more than an hour or two, and that can be limiting. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Thanks for all the advice, we are going to be looking today at the Scamp 13' listed in VT. Hopefully it will be a good one. As with everything I am sure there will be a learning curve for us with this so our "needs" will probably change with a little experience.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #33

Massachusetts
Just wanted to thank everyone that responed to this thread. We agreed to buy Jessica's 13 foot Scamp that is listed in the for sale section. We needed to get a trailer hitch so we don't have it yet, hopefully this weekend.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #34

Massachusetts
One more question. If our real trailer hitch does not come in by this weekend would you all think it would be ok to just put a ball on our metal bumper? It has a hole for it. I would have to tow it for about 50 miles.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I missed it, what is the tug? On the bumper, right by the hole for the hitch ball are some numbers for the hitch weight. DO NOT exceed that amount. The tongue weight for a 13' Scamp "should be" right around 100 lbs. It would okay to tow the trailer "slightly" tongue up for 50 miles or so. But, personally, I wouldn't care to do it much more than that and remember the fulcrum effect takes place and tongue up means more weight is now at the axle and back. Plus, you'd need to make certain you don't scrape bottom going in and out of driveways with the back of the trailer.

Congratulations by the way!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #36

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I agree with Raya, every inch put into a bathroom takes an inch from somewhere else. I'd rather have more storage or a bigger bed!

If looking to buy used, first (or second) concern has to be budget, then tow capacity (that could be first too!). There are many, many brands of 13 foot trailers that come up in the used market. Fewer available the larger the trailer. Then there's availability and how far one is willing to drive to view/buy. There are some that don't want to drive more than an hour or two, and that can be limiting. YMMV
Our 13 deluxe front bath has both more storage space and a larger bed than a standard with front bunks, what we don't have is front bunks and room to sleep two more.
The only thing I miss at all is the ability to remove the curtains and see right through the trailer when towing, a clear atvantage to not having the bathroom.