Fishing buddy Keath and I took down most of the carport this morning. It's not tall enough to accommodate the new Escape
travel trailer, so I decided to reduce it to five feet wide, just enough to store stuff. The trailer won't have the luxury of a roof overhead. So glad I had Keath there to think things through. We put up new posts to support the structure that would remain and then temporary supports for the rest.
The carport was obviously built without a permit. Most of it is clear plastic on 2x2s with 2x4 rafters. I climbed up on top. We snapped a line and I ran a circular saw down the length. Then Keath and I spent 45 minutes getting the chain saw to start and finally cut the rafters. It didn't collapse prematurely. However, it didn't quite come down the way we expected. We'd tied ropes to the temporary supports so we could pull them out. We expected the roof to fall
and it did, but so did the other posts that were supporting it. So now we have sort of a large tent like structure sitting on the floor.
That's a project for tomorrow. We get to knock the rest apart without having it fall
on us and prepare to haul it to the dump. But, first of course, we have to pump up the tires
on his utility trailer and get it licensed.
There are no steelhead.