Age of destruction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Fishing buddy Keath and I took down most of the carport this morning. It's not tall enough to accommodate the new Escape travel trailer, so I decided to reduce it to five feet wide, just enough to store stuff. The trailer won't have the luxury of a roof overhead. So glad I had Keath there to think things through. We put up new posts to support the structure that would remain and then temporary supports for the rest.

The carport was obviously built without a permit. Most of it is clear plastic on 2x2s with 2x4 rafters. I climbed up on top. We snapped a line and I ran a circular saw down the length. Then Keath and I spent 45 minutes getting the chain saw to start and finally cut the rafters. It didn't collapse prematurely. However, it didn't quite come down the way we expected. We'd tied ropes to the temporary supports so we could pull them out. We expected the roof to fall and it did, but so did the other posts that were supporting it. So now we have sort of a large tent like structure sitting on the floor.

That's a project for tomorrow. We get to knock the rest apart without having it fall on us and prepare to haul it to the dump. But, first of course, we have to pump up the tires on his utility trailer and get it licensed.

baglo

There are no steelhead.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #2

Challenge tomorrow is taking this down without killing ourselves.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
carport.jpg  
Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Challenge tomorrow is taking this down without killing ourselves.

baglo
Hi: Glenn...Looks to me like its already
"D
O
W
N".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #4

I ordered the trailer a couple weeks ago and none of this is a reflection on Escape Trailers. It's just what happens.

Ordered a brake controller that cost $135 and then got a quote from U-haul to install it - $195. My mechanic didn't want to touch it. Got a query from Escape on the load capacity of my bumper hitch. It's 350 pounds and they recommend 500, so it's looking like I have to install a new hitch. I'm also not sure that the wiring harness that exists on the truck is compatible. More bucks.

Took down the carport, or at least most of, it since it isn't tall enough to accommodate the trailer and besides, my insurance probably wouldn't be in effect if the thing fell down on the trailer. My neighbor hauled the refuse to the dump for a most reasonable $35 plus $36 tip fee.

Now I have to buy the lumber to build a new gate so the dog can't get out of the front yard.

I have time to do this. It's another six weeks until the trailer is delivered.

baglo

There are no steelhead.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
GLEN, ,FYI.....'bumper hitches' are becoming ill-eagle in B.C. Best bite the bullet and get a real, receiver type hitch anyway!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
GLEN, ,FYI.....'bumper hitches' are becoming ill-eagle in B.C. Best bite the bullet and get a real, receiver type hitch anyway!!!!
I think I'll do better than that. New hitch, re-wiring, brake controller, fuel prices, reliability - I'm just going to spend the kid's inheiritance and buy a Rav 4 with the V6.

Putting money into a '94 Explorer makes no sense to me.

baglo
Old 06-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Now I have to buy the lumber to build a new gate so the dog can't get out of the front yard.
I have time to do this. It's another six weeks until the trailer is delivered.

I'd build that gate a little sooner rather than later. A dog can go quite a distance in 6 weeks.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
'bumper hitches' are becoming ill-eagle in B.C. Best bite the bullet and get a real, receiver type hitch anyway!!!!
There are bumper hitches and there are bumper hitches -- I have had two truck bumper hitches that are very sturdy, attach to the frame just like a receiver hitch and have Class weight ratings on them -- IOW, the bumper itself is a load-bearing hitch (with out a receiver hole, just a place to mount a ball) -- I have also had hitches that bolted to the bumper and were not very strong -- I wonder how the law will differentiate between a rated and unrated bumper...

On one of my rated bumpers, it was possible to bolt on a rated receiver box to accept a standard ball mount.

I have also seen receiver hitches of higher weight classes than we use here which had part of the hitch supported by the bumper, but were mainly bolted to the frame -- Will these be bumper hitches?

Give us a link to the law when it comes out!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote