Age of fiberglass trailer owners? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: Age group of the person responsable for the maint. and upkeep of your egg
20-30 11 4.68%
30-40 28 11.91%
40-50 37 15.74%
50-60 55 23.40%
60-70 77 32.77%
70 and up 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
I know it's politically incorrect to ask this question but..........I need some support.

I'm 61 and my wife is 56 yrs. old. She has concerns that if we buy a trailer it'll just sit and we'll not use it much. My thinking is that we'd probably do more weekend get aways.

We're not really "campers" but we love to travel. We just retuned from a vacation with two other couples, all of us on our Harley Davidsons (my wife rides her own), from Calif. to Nev, Utah, Ariz. and Colo and back to Calif so we're pretty adventurous. We did all of that in ten days.

I'd not be surprised to learn that the average egg owner (I believe that's a common term used for fiberglass trailers) is somewhere close to our age group.

So, to calm her fears or suspisions.....what is your age?

And other than washing and waxing three or four times a year, is there any real repetative maintenance needed or required (or is it more that once in awhile maint. thing)?
maint. on ours consists of washing it after we get back home. unpacking diry laundry, and unconsumed food. and cleaning her up inside.
we don't have a toilet or shower just to reduce those sort of problems, and so far we haven't used our city water or greywater tank. but really, barring any goofs i make,,,shouldn't be much other then tires ever few years or a battery.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #16

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
71 and 69. Regretting we didn't get our trailer 30 years ago. Ours is a multi-use unit: travel trailer (up to 6 weeks at a time so far), camper (for hiking and veging) and guest suite at home (OK, just a great place to nap).

It used to be a pain to have to wash it once a year, but since RedMax 3 the process is relatively painless.

If there was no maintenance nor upgrades necessary I'd be badly disappointed. The Burro is a test bed for all my wacky ideas. My main goal is to scehdule enough outings.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Just celebrated by 30th birthday for the 25th time :-)) Although I have a trailer I still like doing other activities such as kayak camping and skiing. Yes the trailer is nice to have for those times when you find you have a few extra days so you can just head out to explore. Have done lots of travel but not so much in N/A as I have since getting the trailer.... who know.... as its not a real big investment you dont feel bad if it doesnt get used every week-end as you do with a recreation property. As far as upkeep goes again its a lot less than a recreational property.... as you say a wash and wax is a repetative maintenance but only if you like a real clean trailer (some dont) but the other repetitive one is repacking the wheel bearings - done yearly or x so many miles and winterizing is another once a year event which only takes about 15 min. and only if you live in a cold climate.

The average age of fiberglass trailer owners is all over the map. At the last meet we held in BC, the youngest member of the group was 2 months old and the eldest...... well.... so I dont get beat up for revealing it, lets just say they have been enjoying retirement for a number of years now. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I know it's politically incorrect to ask this question but..........

I'd not be surprised to learn that the average egg owner (I believe that's a common term used for fiberglass trailers) is somewhere close to our age group.

You might want to create a poll for this thread, that way people can respond to the age without identifying themselves. Don't you know you are not supposed to ask women their age or weight?

Since you travel, check out the 2012 rally map which is also available from this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aps-48254.html

All the green dots that show up on the map are upcoming meets. There are some coming up out your way. You can drop in on a meet and talk to people and see the variety of trailers available. Most of us don't bite. That will give your wife a good idea of the community.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
I know it's politically incorrect to ask this question but..........I need some support.

I'm 61 and my wife is 56 yrs. old. She has concerns that if we buy a trailer it'll just sit and we'll not use it much. My thinking is that we'd probably do more weekend get aways.

We're not really "campers" but we love to travel. We just retuned from a vacation with two other couples, all of us on our Harley Davidsons (my wife rides her own), from Calif. to Nev, Utah, Ariz. and Colo and back to Calif so we're pretty adventurous. We did all of that in ten days.

And other than washing and waxing three or four times a year, is there any real repetative maintenance needed or required (or is it more that once in awhile maint. thing)?
Washing and waxing... what's that? Never heard of it...

I do have to winterize the water lines and empty the water heater around Nov. 1, and I sweep the floor regularly. That's about it. An older unit might need more periodic repairs, though.

Whether you'll use it a lot or let it sit, you just have to try it and see. Never know till you try it. If you buy a used one and decide in 2-3 years to sell it, you won't be out much money. Eggs hold their value pretty well. I had my Burro for a year or two (I forget which) and sold it for $50 less than what I paid for it.

I'm about to turn 54 in a few days, my wife is 52. Unfortunately she isn't physically up to traveling any more, but fortunately she knows how much I enjoy it and lets me go on my trips. I would not camp for camping's sake, but seeing the sights and going north in summer for a while to enjoy some cooler weather is important to me. We've had a trailer since '04 or '05 and I don't regret it one little bit.

On the other hand, I bought a kayak this spring... I thought it might be a similar feeling... and I'm finding that it is not that important to me after all... I could take it or leave it. I'll probably sell the yak after my next trip (to the lakes of MN). Again, don't know until ya try it.

It's true that a trailer the size of an egg is not consistent with your motorcycling pastime. You're going to be engaging in one or the other at any given time, not both. Maybe you two would enjoy a tiny pop-up trailer that you can tow with your motorcycle? That way you could do both simultaneously.

PS: Roy is right, most of us don't bite... but some of us might gum you to death with conversation!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #20

Name: Rosemary & Glenn
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Somebody forgot to tell us this part. Here's some pics that were taken on Hwy. 50 going across Nev. (headed for Colo) when a freak snow storm hit)...... my bike as we arrived in Austin, Nev.
Ha Ha Ha! That happened to us June 2010 at the Grand Canyon - the only snow we saw on our entire 4000 m trip from Victoria CANADA.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #21

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Washing and waxing... what's that? Never heard of it...

Eggs hold their value pretty well.

Maybe you two would enjoy a tiny pop-up trailer that you can tow with your motorcycle? That way you could do both simultaneously.
Now Mike, I'm sure you've read the "not poliglow - time will tell thread.

Eggs do depreciate when they are new. Then as new prices increase the older ones follow suit. Many of the old eggs here are worth more than they initially cost. But the dollar does not hold the same value.

Don't try to get them to go all the way to the Dark Side of trailers. There are fiberglass trailers that are made to be towed by motorcycles.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
I think the younger demagraphic may need representation here. I am 36 and my wife is 40 our daughter is 9. we started off in a trillium 4500 when our daughter was born. we stupidly sold it for a trailer with a bathroom that was made if sticks. We have ordered a 19 ft escape and are really looking forward to having a egg again. these trailers are good for everyone of all ages imho.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
I'm only 18 - but I am very good at being 18, because I have had 42 years experience at being 18! Spouse is 7 years older'n me.

We basically use ours as a portable hotel room when we go to places/events that are not located where there are hotels. When traveling we prefer to take the car and stay in hotels. We are NOT campers - choosing between going camping at a state park/nat'l park etc vs staying home - we stay.

Consequently we want a BIG trailer so that we can have the comfort of a hotel room, and as a result our current one is a Bigfoot 21 footer.

Glass trailers are basically maintenance free. We owned a "stick built" which disintegrated in 4 years, so there is NO choice whatever to be made in that regard.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I've been using the RoadHippo/Casita since 2004 and a camper van, tent, or bed roll before that. Last month I reached 3 score and 10. (70)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #25

Name: Rosemary & Glenn
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
British Columbia
Age and apprehension

30 years ago I had a 15' Trillium that we pulled all the way across Canada and back with a little 4 cylinder Toyota pickup. It was great but we didn't do much else after that and sold it while we did other things like working, having a kid & a dog, getting divorced etc. My highschool sweetheart found me in 2005 after 35 years apart and we are now inseparable. We're both 58 and looking for a comfy trailer, hoping that with retirement coming we will use it alot. We had a Harley Road King and pulled a lovely fiberglass tent trailer (Lees-ure Lite) with it but realized we are fair weather riders/campers and didn't use it as much as we thought we might - cold, rain & lack of security in a tent being the main drawback.Getting a little older I am not as comfortable for long distances on the back of a bike as I used to be and want more creature comforts. Looking for a trailer now I had the same fears as your wife, especially since the Trillium and the Lees-ure Lite didn't get as much use as I'd hoped. Then we saw a 19' Escape and fell in love! We now have a Ford F150 4.2L V6 that we can carry the Kawasaki Concours in the back of as we tow the Escape (hoping to purchase soon.) So if it's nice we can do day tours with the bike; if it rains we'll be cozy & dry, and aren't limited to summer months. Best of all worlds!

BTW - we are ready to part with the Lees-ure Lite if anyone is interested.
Lees-ure Lite Motorcycle Tent Trailer Setup Demo - YouTube
Old 07-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #26

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
The wife is 46 and I'm 53, though she says I act like I'm 12 most of the time. We love our 13' scamp and find we don't worry about the weather like when we were in the tent. In fact, I like the sound of the rain on the roof when going to sleep and know I'll be dry in the morning.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #27

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I Just turned 69 YO i have a 2,000 Casita Patriot & camp alone now,this year mostly stayed closer to home,i'm loosing interest,health is fine---just not fun any more alone.I can camp at home in my Field "free"
sparky1 in southern, Va.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #28

Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I am a 'senior' woman, who will be 70 next year. <_< I also ride a m'cycle, solo. And have for many years. Nothing I love to do more than to load the bike, tent, sleepingroll, the cooking gear and a few extra clothes and head off......somewhere, anywhere.

I ridden from coast to coast in Canada and the USA, camping with a tent all the way. Loved it!

As long as you can do it, do it!!

But if and when it gets alittle harder to endure long rides and cold/hot temps in your persuit of adventure, towing a comfortable, little travel trailer on your next sight-seeing tour will give your own, comfortable bed at the end of the busy day....at a reasonable price.

Just keep in mind, the whole reason for touring with a TT is not to see how many miles you can do in a day, or to visit every HD dealership in every city you pass through. ( I've travelled with Harley riders)