Age of fiberglass trailer owners? - Fiberglass RV


View Poll Results: Age group of the person responsable for the maint. and upkeep of your egg
20-30 11 4.68%
30-40 28 11.91%
40-50 37 15.74%
50-60 55 23.40%
60-70 77 32.77%
70 and up 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
JCZ
Junior Member
 
Name: JC
Trailer: in the market
California
Posts: 29
Age of fiberglass trailer owners?

I know it's politically incorrect to ask this question but..........I need some support.

I'm 61 and my wife is 56 yrs. old. She has concerns that if we buy a trailer it'll just sit and we'll not use it much. My thinking is that we'd probably do more weekend get aways.

We're not really "campers" but we love to travel. We just retuned from a vacation with two other couples, all of us on our Harley Davidsons (my wife rides her own), from Calif. to Nev, Utah, Ariz. and Colo and back to Calif so we're pretty adventurous. We did all of that in ten days.

I'd not be surprised to learn that the average egg owner (I believe that's a common term used for fiberglass trailers) is somewhere close to our age group.


So, to calm her fears or suspisions.....what is your age?

And other than washing and waxing three or four times a year, is there any real repetative maintenance needed or required (or is it more that once in awhile maint. thing)?
__________________

__________________
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Sharon G's Avatar
 
Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Posts: 529
JC, I'm 64 and hubby is 69. We love getting out in our egg more than anything else we do!

I used PoliGlow on my Casita. The directions recommend adding a couple of coats twice a year in tropical climates. Since we are in the deep South, I plan to do that. If you are farther up north, once a year would be fine.

Maintenance on mine has been easy. I just give it a visual once over every month or so to see if there's a rust spot on the frame that needs touching up, how the caulking is holding up, etc. I do sanitize my water system twice a year. And I winterize the water system with RV antifreeze before freezing weather arrives.

I certainly don't consider it high maintenance.
__________________

__________________
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
I'd say the age of campers would be similar to those of bikers. The young's one who are hearty and sleep in tents, middle age where you move up to pop ups and trailers. I gave up my Harley riding because it competes with camping. Motorcycle rides are solo activities, camping involves other parties if you prefer. I'm retired and like the luxury of a self contained bath in my f/g and I enjoy winter camping, so camping is year round in all weather, motorcycles are more fair weather activity.
The other enjoyable part of ownership is tinkering with your home on wheels and making it better or more personal, just like customizing your Harley. No 2 are alike.
You can keep your trailer as clean as your Harley, some people spend hours polishing their Airstreams while other spend hours riding/camping. It is your choice, but maintenance is no more than that of an automobile.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
I know it's politically incorrect to ask this question but..........I need some support.

I'm 61 and my wife is 56 yrs. old. She has concerns that if we buy a trailer it'll just sit and we'll not use it much. My thinking is that we'd probably do more weekend get aways.

We're not really "campers" but we love to travel. We just retuned from a vacation with two other couples, all of us on our Harley Davidsons (my wife rides her own), from Calif. to Nev, Utah, Ariz. and Colo and back to Calif so we're pretty adventurous. We did all of that in ten days.

I'd not be surprised to learn that the average egg owner (I believe that's a common term used for fiberglass trailers) is somewhere close to our age group.


So, to calm her fears or suspisions.....what is your age?

And other than washing and waxing three or four times a year, is there any real repetative maintenance needed or required (or is it more that once in awhile maint. thing)?
I'll soon be 61 myself and we have towed our Scamp about 60000 miles over the last eight years,and about 300 nights. We have have attended many ScampCamps and fiberglass rallies and many times we are the youngsters in the group. Many of our fellow campers are well into their 70's and still travel and camp extensively. You are the right age to meet many new friends with common interests and seek many new adventures with the easy to tow and user friendly Fiberglass trailer of your choice.
We don't actually own a "Camper".... Our 13D Scamp is a "Travel Trailer" which is easier, cheaper,and more comfortable than a motel.
We have averaged less than $8 a night for lodging and our trailer is still worth most of it's purchase price.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg  

Pic009.JPG   Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  

Oregon trip 006.jpg  
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Kenny Strong's Avatar
 
Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
Posts: 250
harley and trailer

We have a 05 Electraglide classic, and a 1993 13' Bigfoot. and we enjoy doing the two different styles of riding. I am 66 and Karen is 62. We have Poly-glo on the Bigfoot. when you use this extreme finish,,, washing is much easier.
__________________
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
rabbit's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Posts: 2,548
I have to say if my mate thought we wouldn't use X and I thought I didn't want to maintain X, we'd wind up with 2X. I'm 64 and wife still feeds me when she gets hungry. But seriously folks, my wife and I rode a lot of bicycle/camping tours into our mid-fifties. I'm afraid arthritis and general condition has put paid to that. I said when we bought our trailer that I could have lived my whole life without feeling the "need to tow," but she wanted one so I threw myself into the venture heart, soul, and screwdriver. The remedial maintenance has meant more to me than the camping therein because I was forced to learn something about which I knew nothing. As I hinted in my first sentence, you'll need motivation to get out and use a trailer and some honest self-questioning about the degree of your interest in using and maintaining is a realistic place from which to contemplate purchase. If the age of the "interest group" matters, I'd agree that many are getting a bit long in the tooth. Seize the day but make it the day of your choosing.

jack
__________________
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,724
Registry
Why, I am only 29.....

Ok, actually relatively young, 55, and the wife is 54. My immaturity keeps me youthful though.

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to retiring, and I am absolutely positive that the trailer will get lots and lots of use. This was the main reason we bought it, plus we got a good introductory price.

Unless you buy an older trailer that needs lots of repairs right off, maintenance is minimal.

Even if you buy and decide to sell a while later, you would not be out much, and would have gained some great experiences.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
JCZ
Junior Member
 
Name: JC
Trailer: in the market
California
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd say the age of campers would be similar to those of bikers. The young's one who are hearty and sleep in tents, middle age where you move up to pop ups and trailers. I gave up my Harley riding because it competes with camping. Motorcycle rides are solo activities, camping involves other parties if you prefer. I'm retired and like the luxury of a self contained bath in my f/g and I enjoy winter camping, so camping is year round in all weather, motorcycles are more fair weather activity.
The other enjoyable part of ownership is tinkering with your home on wheels and making it better or more personal, just like customizing your Harley. No 2 are alike.
You can keep your trailer as clean as your Harley, some people spend hours polishing their Airstreams while other spend hours riding/camping. It is your choice, but maintenance is no more than that of an automobile.
Somebody forgot to tell us this part. Here's some pics that were taken on Hwy. 50 going across Nev. (headed for Colo) when a freak snow storm hit)...... my bike as we arrived in Austin, Nev.



Her bike (the red Street Glide) just outside of Austin as we head for Ely, Nev.....

__________________
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
jen b's Avatar
 
Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Posts: 848
Registry
I'm 43 but am reading at a 47 year old level.
__________________
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
JCZ
Junior Member
 
Name: JC
Trailer: in the market
California
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why, I am only 29.....

Ok, actually relatively young, 55, and the wife is 54. My immaturity keeps me youthful though.

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to retiring, and I am absolutely positive that the trailer will get lots and lots of use. This was the main reason we bought it, plus we got a good introductory price.

Unless you buy an older trailer that needs lots of repairs right off, maintenance is minimal.

Even if you buy and decide to sell a while later, you would not be out much, and would have gained some great experiences.
My thoughts exactly!

And I forgot to mention.....I'm a twenty year old trapped in an old man's body. My wife keeps reminding me how old I am cuz I've gotten hurt a few times (broken hip on a wave runner in Key West, fractured ribs from a fall on black diamond ski slopes of Squaw Valley, motorcycle accident in San Francisco that resulted in two months in the hospital and ten surgeries).

I believe that a little egg trailer would get used often until we retire and then..........
__________________
JCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 1,320
your like a carbon copy of us. my wife is 55, i am 61. we are not that into camping,,,b ut we love to travel. we are getting ready to retire and are looking at what it costs to travel. the two biggest expenses are gas and lodging. when i turn 62 i can get the golden age pass for national parks that make them half price, by the way.

no as to the trailer. one thing we realise is we do not sit around in the trailer. we are off sight seeing, exploring,,,having fun.

we get up in the morning, i make coffee and breakfast, then we clean up and head out for the day. we may come back during the day for lunch and a nap,,,or maybe not till dinner time. after dinner and cleanup we usually read or watch a dvd on the laptop then about dark:3o we go to bed.

our little camper is effecient at these things.

we don't want to buy a $60-70,000 truck to haul a monster trailer, nore do we want a motor home.(which we had in the past) both options cost too much and use too much gas. we want something we can pull with a reasonable vehicle, my ford ranger,,,or her jeep liberty.

our little camper again excells at this.

and finaly we want a nice looking ,cute camper that others will get a kick out of seeing . that will welcome visitors to come chat. and that those folks that drive behemouths can't even turn their noses up at.
in addition i don't want to do a lot of maintenance, and i hate the look of faded dented aluminium.

agian our little scamp 13 nails it.

now finaly looking at the cost of new , and used scamps, i figured if we bought a new one, used it and cared for it for a few years. decided it wasn't for us, we could sell it for such a small loss as to be a worth while experiment if nothing else.
now that being said, we picked our up feb.19th and on the 18th of july will head out on our 8th trip this year. this time to a dulcimer festival.
my wife, (who's idea of roughing it is no hot tub in the hotel room) is now finding places to go and trips to take , just to get away for the weekend.

so in somation i would say to you, do it. the best investment you can make is an investment of time together. and this is just the ticket.

now if you do get one, , i personaly invite you to michigan for an adventure. you tell me what you would love to do or see, and we will meet you there as your personal guides.
__________________
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Posts: 543
Registry
I'm 56 an just got my 1st egg this year (well, actually lat last year). I've been gone in it three times. We slept in it for the fourth (of July). I actually set it all up like we were camping and surprised the wife. She loved it!
I haven't even washed it yet because I've been "updating" the inside. Since mine is 35 years, old it needs a little more upkeep than a new one would.
Let me rephrase that, it needs more work.But that comes with age. Once I get it up-to-date, it will be like any other egg- no more upkeep than anything else that's outdoors.
__________________
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
My thoughts exactly!

And I forgot to mention.....I'm a twenty year old trapped in an old man's body. My wife keeps reminding me how old I am cuz I've gotten hurt a few times (broken hip on a wave runner in Key West, fractured ribs from a fall on black diamond ski slopes of Squaw Valley, motorcycle accident in San Francisco that resulted in two months in the hospital and ten surgeries).

I believe that a little egg trailer would get used often until we retire and then..........
lol ditto,,, spinning my grand kids around on a merry go round and jumping on is how i broke my ribs last year.
my 23 yo brain keeps writing checks my 61 yo butt can't cash.
__________________
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 1,320
oh,,,P.S. most harley dealers have bikes for rent about $75 a day, they include helmet and raingear. so you go where you want and ride when you want. i would recomend keeping travel under300 or so miles a day. no need to beat yourself up.
__________________

__________________
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 Things Every Fiberglass RV Owners Should Know. ceilityme Hi, I am.... 48 03-18-2012 06:31 PM
Age & Fiberglass. or How old is too old? Pat B Ohio General Chat 16 08-01-2008 09:09 PM
Average age of Egg owners? Mike Montville General Chat 65 06-16-2008 07:20 AM
Fiberglass Durability With Age MarieN Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 9 05-25-2008 09:02 PM
Age of trailer Donna D. General Chat 5 01-04-2006 07:27 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.