Air Conditioning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Well here we go with the perpetual pursuit of a solution for a/c in our little eggs. While surfing the web I went in search of portable refrigerated air conditioners. Most of the units seemed too large, too heavy etc. but one that I found seemed like it might work. That unit was the Koldfront PAC 8000s. The weight was 53 pounds dimensions H 24-3/4" W 19-1/4" D 13-1/2" (might fit in the lower area of the furnace compartment of our 13 foot Uhaul facing the front as we have removed the furnace ). The propaganda states that if will cool 225 square feet. The unit appears to exhaust the hot air through a 5" hose ( wouldn't require a hole in the side of the Uhaul much larger than the current furnace exhaust ). Does anyone have any experience with this unit or even this type of unit ? If this or something like it would work it could perhaps solve the problem of adding air to units which were not built to support the additional weight of an a/c on the roof ( which is actually probably most of our units ). The best news is that the cost is less than $300.00. Comments please. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Koldfront info link

The smaller size is nice. Problem might be the single exhaust hose. The value or not of single versus dual hose A/C units have been discussed previously on the forum. My recollection is that a single hose unit winds up continually trying to cool the hot air drawn in to replace the partially cooled air it is using for exhaust. YMMV. I have an 8K dual hose and it would struggle in 105 degree Texas heat.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

IMHO I wonder when we place home appliances in our eggs if they can stand the beating they get from traveling. Aren't RV appliances built more robust in order to take the highway pounding?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
IMHO I wonder when we place home appliances in our eggs if they can stand the beating they get from traveling. Aren't RV appliances built more robust in order to take the highway pounding?
I had a 5000 btu house unit in my trailer since 1994 and it took no beating and still cooled good ..... the only reason i changed it for a new one was because the fan on low was starting to get noisy and it bothered us.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We used one of the portable air conditioners in the office where I used to work, and it didn't seem nearly as efficient at cooling as did a conventional house-type unit of equal BTUs.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
Koldfront info link

The smaller size is nice. Problem might be the single exhaust hose. The value or not of single versus dual hose A/C units have been discussed previously on the forum. My recollection is that a single hose unit winds up continually trying to cool the hot air drawn in to replace the partially cooled air it is using for exhaust. YMMV. I have an 8K dual hose and it would struggle in 105 degree Texas heat.
Curtis I did find some posts regarding single hose situations and one of the product reviews also mentioned their drawbacks. I am wondering if this couldn't be resolved by making a second small diameter, maybe say 5 inches , hole in the Uhaul body right next to the one made for the exhaust. Perhaps then the air drawn in thru the second hole would feed the air requirements without drawing the air required from inside the trailer and then the air inside the trailer would be recirculated, much as in an automobile. Neither my wife nor I tolerate heat well which is why we retired in reverse to the norm that is left the southwest and moved north to retire. Most of our camping is done in Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Montana and 90% in the mountains above 5000 feet. We are almost always in shady, heavily forested areas and temps above the low 90s would be seldom, if ever , encountered. Again thanks for the input of all. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote