Air Conditioning a MUST? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Turned on the A/C in my last trailer 2 or 3 times in 8 years, and then to try and dry things out as opposed to cooling off the trailer. We normally pass on summer camping but did go out this past weekend, were very glad we had it.

As we plan on keeping this trailer long term and have no idea where we might end up, we got it. We've always looked for CG's that have electric when it's going to be real cold so we can run the small space heater, will do the same when it's hot.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Hardly ANYBODY has commented from the SOUTH!
I wouldn't go with out it Darral, living here in South Texas. But, the OP mentioned specifically that he didn't intend to camp in the south when it's hot. If I lived in the UP or some place like it, and found I didn't use A/C much if at all, I'd probably do fine without it.

Geography is most of the issue. For example, I suspect that if Escapes were made in Texas instead of BC, the A/C would be standard, and not an option.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #17

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Just for the record I grew up in AL and lived in the deep south the first half of my life, backpacked, and tent camped in the summer. And as previously stated have RV camped there during Aug and Sept heat and without AC. My wife and I lived in AL in the mid 80's for a couple of years and tent camped with our newly born daughter down there and along the gulf coast in the heat of the summer months. Not once have we ever felt the need for AC while camping. In a closed in house or auto well thats a bit different, but not camping.

On our way to TN to tour the Oliver factory last Aug/Sep we stayed at a KOA in Little Rock, it was 98 and very humid that night but the Northern Breeze ceiling fan in the T@b was adequate enough to get a good nights sleep, and at least to us far surpassed the noise of running an AC. YMMV as the saying goes.

It really comes down to you and your own personal needs or requirements. But for us given our past experiences, AC never.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #18

Name: Caroline
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
I live in southwest Georgia and it’s not uncommon in the summer for it to be 98F in the shade with 100% humidity. This combination of heat and humidity can be debilitating. If you ever plan to travel to the South between May to October…your gonna want Air Conditioning.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #19

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
Have a Fantastic Fan of Maxairre installed but NOT the AC. Find your temp limit with no AC (85? 83?) and check forecasts. If it'll be higher than you want, drag along a 5000 btu window unit. You can rig up a stand for it outside the back window on the bumper like several have on here. I've seen Coolers, buckets, ladders...
Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
As mentioned it NOT temp limits in many places, it humidity. The last time I was in Augusta, GA I left for the airport at 4am. It was "only" about 80 degrees, but after a 10 minute wait outside for the shuttle, we were both soaking wet with perspiration.

Sleeping without A/C in the summer in the south for one night will seem like a week in a sauna bath..... YUK
Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Air conditioner.... Well the biggest draw back is you have to have a generator (becoming banned in more places) or pay high prices for electricity. Over the last 5 years, somewhere close to 700 nights, we've averaged under $10.00 per night. If we had to have electricity those 700 nights would have to be reduced to less that 100 nights. (700 nights at $40 per night $28,000 -- 700 nights at <$10 per night = <$7,000)
I think I can manage without AC. But then all my ancestors died at very young age because they didn't have AC or was that because the bears ate them?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #22

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up to have or to have not

Air conditioner in my car yes air in my house yes air in my garage yes in my Amerigo a must . !!! just because you have it does not meen you have to use it
Old 07-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #23

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
I have air conditioning but Boondock. I never use air conditioner. If it's that hot and humid I do not go camping as most time is spent outdoors. I do not want to stay cooped up in a trailer on a hot day because it is air conditioned.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Just a couple more thoughts: When you are younger it is easier to tolerate the heat and humidity. Twenty years ago we tent camped......... The other thought was whether anyone knew if Scamp is contacted if they can tell you if a specific unit has the reinforcement or not.

We have been having at least 60% humidity with high 90s and low 100s in central KS recently. Right now we have a real feel temp of 99.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #25

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
It entirely depends on you and how/where you camp. Right now I have a family member on meds that make them less heat tolerant. In that case, the a/c is a life saver for a midday cool off even if we don't run it at night.

Like a lot of small FGRV campers, we stepped up from tents, and our expectations of camping involve more trees and fewer bald concrete parking pads with full hookups. That certainly makes no AC a lot more viable, and, given the white shell and new fan installation, we may well elect not to run the a/c most nights.

But, as the old saying goes, climate is what you expect; weather is what you get. Having AC gives us flexibility to get a good night's sleep even on a not-good night.

That said, I really dig that our Casita has the old-school hidden AC installation. Not only is it lower, not only is it a generic non-RV (and therefore vastly cheaper) item, it also is less obtrusive and helps boost the low tongue weight that 16 foot Casitas are known to have.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #26

Name: Larry and Gayle
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
We're snowbirds. More than 300 nights in Florida in the last three years. We maybe used our AC half a dozen times then.

We call our 13' scamp the "Tic Tac" (looks like a tic tac). Southern Missouri has some hot, humid summers and wifey frequently tells me to go out to the tic tac shack (covered storage with 8" open on bottom to prevent pack rat nests) and turn on the AC just because she does not want mold and fungus collecting inside in the humidity.

Coupla years ago we spent almost a week at Alley Springs (National Scenic Riverway NP, (only the 600 loop has power and water) at the Current River)) over the fourth of July and where it seems to never have gotten below 90 degrees and the AC was most welcome.

YMMV.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I'll also toss out the old resale value. As one can plainly see from the posts there is a split with some not willing or interested in camper without AC. If your camper has no AC these people are not going to be interested in buying it if you decided to sell.

With most of these FGRV's the supply is tight enough that there will be a buyer either way, with or without AC but it is something to factor into the cost/benefit analysis.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I'll also toss out the old resale value. As one can plainly see from the posts there is a split with some not willing or interested in camper without AC. If your camper has no AC these people are not going to be interested in buying it if you decided to sell.

With most of these FGRV's the supply is tight enough that there will be a buyer either way, with or without AC but it is something to factor into the cost/benefit analysis.

There's a number that don't want AC and they're more interested in buying without AC.

Refrigeration systems don't like to sit without being used. A 20 year old AC that's never been used probably won't work.

Tags
air conditioning