Air Conditioning - How Many Have it - How Many Want it? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
All depends on how abusive you are going to be to it or if you leave it on the trailer at all times. Mine is kept in the box it came in when not in use so it doesnt take to much of a beating so after 5 years of light use its still looks and acts new.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
One nice point in favor of A/C.... It is a dehumidifier!

Not needed here in Colorado on a regular basis. We live in one of the driest states in the country ! Sure on occasion when we have a good rain storm but for the most part, we are dry dry dry........... Good thought though for those humid states.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We live in a hot climate, but try to camp where it is cool. It is nice to have it when loading up and on the road when we are in hot weather. It is good to have if we go into lower more humid areas. Happily, we do not have to use it too often while camping, but when needed it is a blessing to have.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #24

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I plan on making mine easily removable and not mounted during travel. I am going to use a window mount like this and cobble together a surround.

Amazon.com: Window Unit Support Kit (Heavy Duty) Air Conditioner Bracket: Kitchen & Dining
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #25

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Not needed here in Colorado on a regular basis. We live in one of the driest states in the country ! Sure on occasion when we have a good rain storm but for the most part, we are dry dry dry........... Good thought though for those humid states.
Well that's true but there are places we'd go where humidity would be an issue.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Lots of hot spots in Nor. Cal. even at elevation. I rarely use my a/c but I've got it if I need it.

The first time I used the a/c I was in Oregon and it wasn't eastern Oregon.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #27

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Peter Crowl...Our Escape 5.0 has a 8000Btu. roof mt. A/C. Wouldn't leave home without it here in S. Wet Ontario. Our trip to Tornado Terr. in Indiana for The Scrambled Egg Meet proved the need!!! 85+* 95+ humidex readings, and no shade... we could have collected the water dripping off the trailer and used it to do the dishes!!! Later I had to empty the clearance lights of water and clean out the algee as well as replace a blown bulb due to the trapped moisture. Living near the Great Lakes is always a challenge.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
OurEscapeHatch.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #28

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had it on my big Burro. Only used it a few times and then not for long, even living in AZ during the spring and summer months.

I too, inquired about having it removed and a second fantastic fan put in. Sold it before I actually did that tho.

I currently cool with an endless breeze fantastic fan. We'll see how well it does in this rig when the temps go up, but I enjoy the weight loss on my roof and don't wish to have it back.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler 1984
Alf, I see from your photo that the water dripping off the trailer left some pretty big puddles on the ground too.
The red leaf looks good!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #30

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
June, July, August, and sometimes May & September it's not uncommon for the temperature at 10:00 PM to still be in the 90's (degrees F) in the shade in Texas, The question is not "do we air condition" the trailer; it's "how many BTU's".

A window unit will hold up to the rigors of mounting in a trailer. The unit in the Compact Jr is more than 12 years old and works perfectly.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #31

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1998 Scamp 13'
South Carolina
I added air conditioning two years after I bought my 1998 Scamp 13. I purchased the AC modification from Evlands.

It is a standard window AC modified so as to install it in the bottom of the closet. I modified the the remaining closet and installed a microwave and turned the remaining space into a pantry.

The modification required quite a bit of cutting of the fiberglass closet bottom and the exterior exhaust vent. I used a RotoZip tool to cut the fiberglass.

The unit really works well and I can store my Scamp in my garage since I don't have the roof AC. Also, if the AC should "shoot craps", I can replace it with an inexpensive unit from Walmart.

I have misplaced the installation drawings but I think Evelands might provide them. If I should find them, I'll scan and upload them.

Sam
Sideslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #32

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I want air more than heat here in Mn but I do not winter camp. The camper is pretty hot as the windows do not do much to circulate air. The fantastic fan helps alot, but still in the summer I want to come in to a cool camper after being out in the heat. I say go for it as it will be easier to sell if having heat and air.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #33

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschilders View Post
always had it, ... Always will.
Wouldn't buy a trailer without it.
x2
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I have owned a number of un-insulated glass trailers and they always get hot even in an Alberta summer. However since moving up to the 25 foot Bigfoot with 4 season insulation we find the insulation and dual pane windows really help to keep the temp down even when camping in the direct sun and hot days.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
I have yet to need one here in colorado. It can get hot in there. I did install a wonder vent fan up top.
brian dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 1989 13 ft Scamp
I would like to see the instructions, living in Florida AC is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip View Post
I added air conditioning two years after I bought my 1998 Scamp 13. I purchased the AC modification from Evlands.

It is a standard window AC modified so as to install it in the bottom of the closet. I modified the the remaining closet and installed a microwave and turned the remaining space into a pantry.

The modification required quite a bit of cutting of the fiberglass closet bottom and the exterior exhaust vent. I used a RotoZip tool to cut the fiberglass.

The unit really works well and I can store my Scamp in my garage since I don't have the roof AC. Also, if the AC should "shoot craps", I can replace it with an inexpensive unit from Walmart.

I have misplaced the installation drawings but I think Evelands might provide them. If I should find them, I'll scan and upload them.

Sam
Tim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #37

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
AC 110 power requirement and weight are a concern but would like to have it. Looked at a very small light weight marine unit not shure it would work though.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #38

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I agree with Brian that you don't need air conditioning camping around Colorado. With all the windows open and a screen door, the egg stays cool. But I have it and will keep it for the next guy.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
In over 5 years of using my Scamp I've used the "Constant Breeze" portable fan 3 times. Most recently in LA near Orange, TX, where the outside temp hovered around 67 all night and the humidity was around 80%.
Somebody mentioned drying out the trailer before closing it up. I guess I'm lucky in that my trailer when not is use sites under a carport next to my house. I open the roof vent and the window over the sink and the let the air flow through.
Another point. I'm set up to live in the trailer extended time off the grid. No power to run A/C or microwave ovens. I don't like noisy generators so I don't have one.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #40

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I have an '08 Scamp, no air. July of last year I was at lake Mead. Temps didn't get below 95 at night. I roasted. Contacted Kent Eveland at Scamp to get instructions on installing AC in the closet. He emailed me the instructions for anyone who wants them, but they are long and I don't know how to post them to this site. Any suggestions? I'd also be willing to email them to anyone. I also inquired if my Scamp had been mfgd. with roof supports. He dug up the original order, but said he did not see where it was requested, so it might not have the supports. Too bad there wasn't a way to knock on the ceiling. Something like looking for studs behind a wall.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote