Air Conditioning - How Many Have it - How Many Want it? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #15

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I plan on installing this in the rear window of my CT-13 this spring
Walmart.com: Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000 BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner with Rotary Controls: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality
I am using gift certs earning from hotel stays for the purchase so it will be free!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Dehumidification is a good idea.
What about the roof units that also have an electric heater strip?
Does anybody have one? Do they work?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
Dehumidification is a good idea.
What about the roof units that also have an electric heater strip?
Does anybody have one? Do they work?
We have the heater strip and it works great, it is simply giving a full spectrum of desirable temperature control. It has variable settings which turn the strip on and off thermostaticly while running the fan full time.
The result is steady subdued white noise and a much more even heat than the furnace provides. Of course It's nice to have the furnace when there's no shore power.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #18

Colorado
Well - that's another issue.
The Amerigo had a furnace - not sure if it's still viable. I'd like to eliminate it in favor of a portable catalytic which can be taken or left depending on the circumstances but in either case it's not taking up a huge amount of space.
The use of the electric heater in an AC unit as an option would be good - and would steer the decision regarding a home type unit or an RV Roof unit.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
James, when I purchased my Scamp the previous owner gave me a window AC that he had made supports etc for. I used it a few times the first year when camping in the interior of the province where it gets a lot warmer than the coast. Its nice to have a portable as you can leave it at home if you know you are not going someplace that it will be needed - saves some weight.

Have since put a Fantastic Fan in the trailer and have not used the AC since. I camp mostly on the coast but if I was heading to the interior and know the temps where going to be going up I could bring the AC along although on those occasions I have found myself camping in warmer than expected area without the AC the Fantasitc Fan has done a pretty good job.

The need for AC really does depend greatly on where you camp.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
I plan on installing this in the rear window of my CT-13 this spring
Walmart.com: Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000 BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner with Rotary Controls: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality
I am using gift certs earning from hotel stays for the purchase so it will be free!
I see that a lot of people use house units and I've been considering that - but do they hold up to the physical abuse of travel?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
All depends on how abusive you are going to be to it or if you leave it on the trailer at all times. Mine is kept in the box it came in when not in use so it doesnt take to much of a beating so after 5 years of light use its still looks and acts new.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
One nice point in favor of A/C.... It is a dehumidifier!

Not needed here in Colorado on a regular basis. We live in one of the driest states in the country ! Sure on occasion when we have a good rain storm but for the most part, we are dry dry dry........... Good thought though for those humid states.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #23

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
We live in a hot climate, but try to camp where it is cool. It is nice to have it when loading up and on the road when we are in hot weather. It is good to have if we go into lower more humid areas. Happily, we do not have to use it too often while camping, but when needed it is a blessing to have.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #24

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I plan on making mine easily removable and not mounted during travel. I am going to use a window mount like this and cobble together a surround.

Amazon.com: Window Unit Support Kit (Heavy Duty) Air Conditioner Bracket: Kitchen & Dining
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #25

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Not needed here in Colorado on a regular basis. We live in one of the driest states in the country ! Sure on occasion when we have a good rain storm but for the most part, we are dry dry dry........... Good thought though for those humid states.
Well that's true but there are places we'd go where humidity would be an issue.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Lots of hot spots in Nor. Cal. even at elevation. I rarely use my a/c but I've got it if I need it.

The first time I used the a/c I was in Oregon and it wasn't eastern Oregon.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #27

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Peter Crowl...Our Escape 5.0 has a 8000Btu. roof mt. A/C. Wouldn't leave home without it here in S. Wet Ontario. Our trip to Tornado Terr. in Indiana for The Scrambled Egg Meet proved the need!!! 85+* 95+ humidex readings, and no shade... we could have collected the water dripping off the trailer and used it to do the dishes!!! Later I had to empty the clearance lights of water and clean out the algee as well as replace a blown bulb due to the trapped moisture. Living near the Great Lakes is always a challenge.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
OurEscapeHatch.jpg  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #28

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I had it on my big Burro. Only used it a few times and then not for long, even living in AZ during the spring and summer months.

I too, inquired about having it removed and a second fantastic fan put in. Sold it before I actually did that tho.

I currently cool with an endless breeze fantastic fan. We'll see how well it does in this rig when the temps go up, but I enjoy the weight loss on my roof and don't wish to have it back.