Air Conditioning - How Many Have it - How Many Want it? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Air Conditioning - How Many Have it - How Many Want it?

I'd especially like to hear from Mountain States people.
Do you have A/C? If so do you get use out of it?

If not would you like to have it?

Thanks!

Peter
in Denver
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've traveled all the states and have found we rarely use the AC. We had a Sunline that had jalousied windows that really supported air flow because the windows virtually open 100%. Windows in Scamps and Casitas only open half way.

I will say we only visit the southern portion of the country in the winter so I can understand why they need air in the summer.

We find that during the day time we're virtually outside most of the time and usually in the non-southern parts of the country it gets cool at night. (actually I'm not sure this is true in the summer in the midwest.).

In the spring in FL it can get hot in the afternoon in the spring, we simply head to the pool.

I will say I like the traditional non-roof AC built into a wall cabinet on the Casita. It is more than adequate to cool the rig and does not disturb the airflow when towing not to mention it's an inexpensive solution.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
In my world, A/C is needed. Unless of course you are away from your trailer all day and only come back to it after the sun goes down. Can you get by without, sure I suppose if you always had a cool breezed, tree covered campsite. But in the real world that doesn't always happen. Even in Colorado.

The first summer we had the egg we went back up to Montana (where summer temps rarely exceed 85-ish) (perfect temp, in my world). After a day of sitting in the sun, The air was on.............................

An egg can heat up just like your car. Of course in a car you don't always need the air on, you can roll down the windows and move on. But sitting in a hot car with no air moving isn't my comfort zone! You just have to decide was is comfortable for your camping style.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Will you always camp where it's cool, never where it's hot? It would only take one night of oppressive heat to make me repent of not having AC.

I recall one of my June trips to Colorado. I camped near Santa Fe one evening... HOT weather in the 90s, but I got lucky and snagged the last campsite at Hyde SP (8000' elev.) so it was comfortable sleeping. Drove to Pagosa Springs where it was again in the 90s, yikes! Found a spot near Wolf Creek Pass that was cool enough.

My point is, when that kind of weather hits... do you want to be limited to camping at the highest elevations for comfort? Surely there will be some times when you would prefer to stay somewhere else for some reason.

When a small trailer can be cooled reasonably well by an affordable 'room' AC, I would say to at least have one of those unless there's no place to put it. Roof AC I can do without, as if it is hot enough to need one of those (IMO nighttime 90*+) I don't want to be camping in that vicinity.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Peter, I might add that we have camped in Westcliffe in June, without hookups and for the most part it was ok, but dang when the sun was beating down on us the trailer heated up quick. (we don't tend to camp a lot without hook ups). Usually, Westcliffe and Pearl Lake. Otherwise I want hook ups.

I do carry 2 small battery operated fans for those times but honestly they don't cool it down. They only move the hot air.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Besides me not being able to sleep when it's too warm, it is dangerous for our 2 pugs to get overheated. And since one of the reasons we got the camper was so we could take the dogs with us, one of our first priorites was to figure out how to make a small window airconditioner portable, so we could use it when needed. (Hope my English teachers don't see those ill constructed sentences!)
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
I'd especially like to hear from Mountain States people.
Do you have A/C? If so do you get use out of it?

If not would you like to have it?

Thanks!

Peter
in Denver
You may need to verify this, but I think the hole in the roof for the air conditioner is the standard 14X14 so it could be replaced by a standard vent or fantastic fan, then reinstalled if desired when time to sell.
Anyone know for sure?

Mine is a Coleman Mini-Mach, which is lower profile than the standard roofmount units, it also has a faring and consequently offers little aerodynamic resistance. It is lighter as well and uses less power or a smaller genset.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #8

Colorado
Good points all.
I think the best visual is the hot can. I haven't camped since moving to Colorado and so had this thing in my head that it's cool in the mountains...but you're right...one isn't always in the mountains and in the sun anything can turn into black vinyl car seats.

Finally, since my kids are animals, I'll need to provide for their comfort and safety when they're inside during the day.

I asked since I'm waist deep into the Amerigo and had been ambivalent about AC...with this I'll be installing for sure.

Thanks!!
Peter
Old 02-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Another vote for A/C. Of course we do live in Hot, Humid Florida. One reason we decided to get an Egg is last summer we were camping in the Keys in our Popup which had A/C. Unfortunately, sitting in the sun it wasnt able to keep the camper bearable. It was tolerable for sleeping once the sun went down but as soon as the sun was up you woke up with soaked sheets and clothing and miserable. We tried to stay in the water but the Gulf waters were like bath water so no relief there either. The bath houses were even hotter/stickier so the only relief we could get was to sit in our van and run the A/C. This was suppose to be a special trip for my 40th bday. I've requested a "do-over" once we get our Egg as I'm sure not losing the cool air and having the humidity penetrate through tent fabric will make it much more comfortable. We were there in May so expected it to be fine esp with sea breezes. The day we got back I put the popup up for sale.
We were in WY during the month of July and visited Devil's Tower etc and it was surprisingly hot there too. I wouldnt have wanted to camp without A/C even at those elevations. I'd think a room style A/C you can mount in a window only when you need it would be a good option.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Always had it, ... always will.
Wouldn't buy a trailer without it.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
We have had our Scamp since 2005, we picked the trailer up in south California, used the A/C one day to keep the Yellow Lab (Shasta) cool and have not used it since, I would like to take the A/C off the scamp and install a sky light. Look were we live the inland Northwest so a/c is not needed, and we camp were there is no electricty . We are set up with LED lights (great) and solar panels so off grid most of the time and gas generator are not liked in all of the spots we camp at. So I vote for No A/C
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Central and Northern CA - do not use it. BUT - AZ and TX (even in April) need it and love it. I have been in southern CO and northern NM in the summer and could not imagine not having AC. Just MHO...

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #13

Registry
One nice point in favor of A/C.... It is a dehumidifier!
I like to run the A/C after a trip to be assured that it is completely dry inside before putting it away.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
One nice point in favor of A/C.... It is a dehumidifier!
I like to run the A/C after a trip to be assured that it is completely dry inside before putting it away.
That is a really good idea, I will start doing that thanks Floyd
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #15

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I plan on installing this in the rear window of my CT-13 this spring
Walmart.com: Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000 BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner with Rotary Controls: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality
I am using gift certs earning from hotel stays for the purchase so it will be free!
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #16

Colorado
Dehumidification is a good idea.
What about the roof units that also have an electric heater strip?
Does anybody have one? Do they work?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
Dehumidification is a good idea.
What about the roof units that also have an electric heater strip?
Does anybody have one? Do they work?
We have the heater strip and it works great, it is simply giving a full spectrum of desirable temperature control. It has variable settings which turn the strip on and off thermostaticly while running the fan full time.
The result is steady subdued white noise and a much more even heat than the furnace provides. Of course It's nice to have the furnace when there's no shore power.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #18

Colorado
Well - that's another issue.
The Amerigo had a furnace - not sure if it's still viable. I'd like to eliminate it in favor of a portable catalytic which can be taken or left depending on the circumstances but in either case it's not taking up a huge amount of space.
The use of the electric heater in an AC unit as an option would be good - and would steer the decision regarding a home type unit or an RV Roof unit.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
James, when I purchased my Scamp the previous owner gave me a window AC that he had made supports etc for. I used it a few times the first year when camping in the interior of the province where it gets a lot warmer than the coast. Its nice to have a portable as you can leave it at home if you know you are not going someplace that it will be needed - saves some weight.

Have since put a Fantastic Fan in the trailer and have not used the AC since. I camp mostly on the coast but if I was heading to the interior and know the temps where going to be going up I could bring the AC along although on those occasions I have found myself camping in warmer than expected area without the AC the Fantasitc Fan has done a pretty good job.

The need for AC really does depend greatly on where you camp.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
I plan on installing this in the rear window of my CT-13 this spring
Walmart.com: Frigidaire FRA052XT7 5,000 BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner with Rotary Controls: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality
I am using gift certs earning from hotel stays for the purchase so it will be free!
I see that a lot of people use house units and I've been considering that - but do they hold up to the physical abuse of travel?