Air Conditioning question - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Some time ago someone here asked about whether or not AC was worth it on an egg.
I have AC and said so smugly, "I have it but wish I had not bought it because I never go where its hot enough to need it... I go south towards Mexico in the winter and north into the mountains in the summer, so its a waste of money".
Today I am sitting in my Casita and have had the AC on since 9 this morning.
Yesterday Bella Coola was the hottest place in BC setting a record at 100 f!!!!
Jeeze!

Got down "the hill" with no problem... some places had to go into low range 4x4 and 1st gear held it all back at 10mph
But weirdly I went on a 20 mile 4x4 this morning in the truck and when I went to drop it into 1st gear low range 4x4 it came right back out and started speeding up... freewheeling
Moved it from 1st to 2nd and wham! it kicked in and slowed me down.

How can this be? 01 ford ranger 4x4
It must sense the loading somehow and wont let you use 1st gear in low 4x4 going downhill... it will stay in ist going up hill but kick out as you round the top... pulling the egg it does not behave this way... really strange, eh?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Ron..... I've had this happen to me before and it's probably the snycro and or the shifting fork inside the transmission in 1st gear is starting to go bad.... try holding it in with your hand on the gearshift and you may be able to hold it in place but it feels like it wants to pop out ( you can also step on and off the throddle while it's under a strain and should pop out)...... your right the weight of the load contributes to it and it may get worse but will not shatter so you can still use it safely..... i remember tying a close hanger around it to something solid so it would stay in gear. My educated guess is the shifting fork is worn and it's not fully in gear.
Joe

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Some time ago someone here asked about whether or not AC was worth it on an egg.
I have AC and said so smugly, "I have it but wish I had not bought it because I never go where its hot enough to need it... I go south towards Mexico in the winter and north into the mountains in the summer, so its a waste of money".
Today I am sitting in my Casita and have had the AC on since 9 this morning.
Yesterday Bella Coola was the hottest place in BC setting a record at 100 f!!!!
Jeeze!
Doncha hate it when ya gotta eat your own words Been there, done that and all that rot.

There's a saying, "Opinions are valuable. They allow one to reach a conclusion without facts."

ZING!. Now I'm careful with my opinion and try to soften it by saying something about... your mileage may vary or my 2-1/2 cents.

Sounds like you're having a fabulous trip!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #4

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
Earlier in the week, with temperatures soaring into the triple-digits here in Portland, my home air-conditioning couldn't overcome the heat in my upstairs bedroom enough to make it possible for sleeping.

So . . . you guessed it .. . . . I spent the nights in my driveway in my delightfully cool little egg!!

Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 AM   #5

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Ron... Some say "It never gets that hot in B.C." Trouble is "NEVER" is such a long time!!! How about making a bumper sticker that reads "I took the heat in Bella Coola B.C." That could be a money maker this year.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. another week of "below norm. temps." sigh!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Hi Ron

Glad you made it into Bella Coola. We are also setting records here in Terrace - yesterday a bit cooler at 97 degrees. Thunderstorms due tonight but this is not good news because of the forest fire hazard. Hope you find cooler weather as you head south.

« Hello! | GPS »