Air Pressure Scamp / Scamp 13 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsd8 View Post
My tire dealer was hesitant to put 50 PSI in my new tires, but did so when I insisted. My receipt showed on it that the "tires were inflated to 50 PSI at customers request". So the dealer has a CYA, but why the hesitancy to inflate to the stated sidewall pressure???
Carlisle INSISTS on full sidewall stated pressure.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #42

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsd8 View Post
My tire dealer was hesitant to put 50 PSI in my new tires, but did so when I insisted. My receipt showed on it that the "tires were inflated to 50 PSI at customers request". So the dealer has a CYA, but why the hesitancy to inflate to the stated sidewall pressure???
OK,
I went out and actually read the numbers on the side of the Scamp tires
Ours is a 16 ft Dlx with an axle weight of about 2240 lb.
The tires are one grade better than OE.(ST175/80R13)
ST185/80-R13 - Load rating C, Max load 1480 lb @ 50 psi.
Double that for two tires = 2960 lb. a margin of 720 lb.
At 1120 lb per tire, according to the Load/Inflation chart, they only need 31 psi
YA GOTTA WEIGH THE TRAILER, FULLY LOADED. TO KNOW WHAT YOU GOT!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
One thing to keep in mind is there can be a variance in the weight on each tire (side to side) just don't take the axle weight and divide by 2. I know on my Casita the weight on the right side tire was considerably more than the left, the right side has the fresh water tank and the fridge. Just saying
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
OK,
I went out and actually read the numbers on the side of the Scamp tires
Ours is a 16 ft Dlx with an axle weight of about 2240 lb.
The tires are one grade better than OE.(ST175/80R13)
At 1120 lb per tire, according to the Load/Inflation chart, they only need 31 psi
At the risk of superfluity or at least redundance...
The load/inflation chart is intended to give the MINIMUM inflation for a given load to prevent tire damage. If a tire is used at inflation below that given in the chart it is recommended that it be demounted and given a thorough inspection before further use or discarded altogether.
The chart is NOT intended to be used as recommended tire pressures for a given load.
If you know the expected load, buy the right tire and inflate it properly.
Overkill could be a poor choice if underinflation is the response.
Of course, as Wayne says...
"YA GOTTA WEIGH THE TRAILER, FULLY LOADED. TO KNOW WHAT YOU GOT!"
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Byron Kinnaman;547209][QUOTE=Borrego Dave;547193]
Being my loaded weight only differs +/- by 50 pounds from normal, a reweigh between trips would be a moot point. Kind of sounds like splitting hairs to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
OK let's see if this is even possible. Just between and empty and full fresh 12 gallon water tank is 96lb lbls. An empty or full gray water 18gallons is 140 lbs. A full and an empty propane tank 20lb two would be 40 lbs.
Truck scales weight in 20 lb increments.
Conclusion... +/- 50lbs not likely.
Sorry but I am going to suggest as Dave did that this sounds to me like splitting hairs!

Carrying water or not carrying water are not the only way that one can change their trailers weight. I can change the total weight on my trailer by simple taking a tote container from the back of the truck and putting it into the trailer that I know weighs 50lbs.

If one was to use a bathroom scale to weigh the tongue on their trailer to add the truck scale axle weight for a total trailer weight, they could very well have a weight variance by as little as 1lb.

While truck scales do weigh in 20lb increments it is my understanding that they round up or down so its possible there is only an 11lb difference in weighs.

Regardless, who is going to bother to weigh their trailer every trip to adjust their tire pressure based on a weight "total" axle weight variance of between 40 to 60lbs! Especially when they know the weight of the trailer is going to drop daily by a few pounds as they consume the stock of refreshments you packed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
OK,

As been suggested weighing the trailer side to side will tell you if you really can get away with 31 PSI - I know my Scamp 16' side bath can't so would be surprised if a DLX could.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #47

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5fb
Oregon
As many have noted, there are lots of opinions as to tire pressures. As I understand it, and as engineering common sense tells us, the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall should be used only if the tire is loaded to its maximum rated load. However, the maximum load is often not being carried by the tire. In this case, the tire should have less pressure in it, to give about the same footprint as a max loaded tire at max pressure. Same for a car: our Toyota 4Runner calls for 33psi but the tires show a sidewall max of 51. There is no need to use 51, even when towing our 4400 lb Bigfoot. We once had a Subaru Forester, and the door jamb wisely showed recommended rear tire pressures for both unloaded and loaded vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Worto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp