Airiest trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Airiest trailer?

Probably my favorite feature of my car camping tent is its screen room big enough for chairs and a cooler. Great for sneering at mosquitos or waiting out the rain. But I don't want much tent set up in my retirement rig, and that that includes a pop-up trailer. But the one thing that keeps me thinking of a pop-up is the ability to have it be pretty much one big screen room. Obviously I can, and plan to, have a stand alone screen tent to lounge in outside the trailer (but feel free to sing the praises of any attached screen porch you've got), but I'd still like to have some of that feel in the trailer. So, any nominations for airiest trailer?

Thinking on it, I guess there's more chance that something without a bathroom might have windows on all four sides. And something designed without a thought to A/C would probably score well on this scale too. Does window design matter? And yeah, I guess airiest implies dustiest.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The new Happiest Camper has a rear door that fully opens. It can be screened. That would be your best bet for a trailer that has the feel of a screen room. There are also some toy hauler fiberglass trailers that could be adapted into campers, they too might have a back that fully opens and could be screened for a less expensive DIY alteration project versus purchasing a new trailer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
By most accounts, a vintage Trillium, with large banks of jalousie windows on all four sides, is a well-ventilated trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Trillium.jpg Views: 21 Size: 157.2 KB ID: 100697" style="margin: 2px" />
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, maybe this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 6.36.41 PM.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
Lil Snoozy can be ordered with 3 large windows
Small Travel Trailer | Small Campers | Lil Snoozy
Attached Images

ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Trillium 5500.
Windows all around, 7 of them, and they all open.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I love my 13' Scamp and it has quite a bit of "airiness". The rear side (jalousie) windows and the sliding window all have screens. The rooftop fan and emergency exit open and are screened. The door has a screen door. Unfortunately the front window does not open, but when the rock guard is removed it's very bright and cheery. I've reclined in the trailer on our bed in the daytime and happily observed deer walk by oblivious to the fact that I was within several feet of them.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Or, maybe this one.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:43 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Probably my favorite feature of my car camping tent is its screen room big enough for chairs and a cooler. Great for sneering at mosquitos or waiting out the rain. But I don't want much tent set up in my retirement rig, and that that includes a pop-up trailer. But the one thing that keeps me thinking of a pop-up is the ability to have it be pretty much one big screen room. Obviously I can, and plan to, have a stand alone screen tent to lounge in outside the trailer (but feel free to sing the praises of any attached screen porch you've got), but I'd still like to have some of that feel in the trailer. So, any nominations for airiest trailer?

Thinking on it, I guess there's more chance thatsomething without a bathroom might have windows on all four sides. And something designed without a thought to A/C would probably score well on this scale too. Does window design matter? And yeah, I guess airiest implies dustiest.
The HC1 has the largest side door ,largest rear door and the largest windows for a 13 foot trailer and dust is no problem as you can power wash the inside and run the water out the built in drain in the floor.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #10

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Air Flow

Hey Bob,
Having gone from a Rockwood pop-up to a Casita Spirit Deluxe I can tell you that you won't find the kind-of air flow in a fiberglass trailer that you have in a pop-up. The issue of air flow is what I miss most about the Rockwood. I can also tell you that I would never go back, the positives far outweigh the negatives. We experienced one very hot and humid night in northern Vermont of all places when we were boondocking and operating strictly on battery power, it was an uncomfortable night's sleep. Those kind of issues can be addressed with solar set ups, generators or simply having hook-ups. We always pack our screened shelter but don't always put it up depending on time of year bugs, shade etc. Hope that helps. Peace!
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I've always had plenty of air flow in all of my previous trailers. The reason: a vent fan! A Fantastic or Maxx fan (on medium or even low speed) in the ceiling vent seems to make a complete air change inside a small trailer in just a few minutes. It draws nice fresh air into every open window.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
The Compact Jr can be "airy"....

The Jr has a screen opening on the rear door and sliding windows on the two sides. My front window is fixed but I think I've seen some with an opening front window.

But where it can excel is on the pop top. Much simpler than any pop up camper as there is no "lift" system to foul up. it literally can go up or down in just 30 seconds.

Most have four screened windows on the pop up material. mine is all mesh so it is really airy, I just lower it when it starts to rain or gets really cold.

otherwise I would nominate the Trillium with the jalousie windows that can stay open in the rain.

I think the new ones have gone to sliders though.
Attached Thumbnails
jones lake camper.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
My Surfside had 5 windows that opened, I never had an airflow problem.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV