Airstream 16' FG launch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Things have changed, but here is a drawing with cutaway pics of Nest inside. Appears sideways bed/dinette is in front, kitchen is on both sides, in middle. Wet bath is left rear, desk/table/workstation at right rear. Rear door makes it easier to load bikes or kayak. Changes? These drawings show two side Windows on right side. Photos from RV trade show have 3 side windows. These drawings show a split front window, but that has evolved into a single large windshield. The link to Airstream's announcement, found in previous posts, shows the back door has gained a much longer window. I like it.
Two more items. Show pics appear to have bath on right side. With a window? Also it is now a single taillight.
Attached Thumbnails
106d858a799ee5947a9307221afba5df.jpg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #22

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I definitely like the newer look better.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Exterior looks nice. It will be interesting to see how they set the price. As we all know there are some other players in the FGRV arena. Airstream will get some competition.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #24

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Another informative thread that I don't think has been linked to this one yet is Robert's play-by-play in building his first prototype Nest including numerous production photos along the way. Note interior photos of his mostly finished prototype (post #451) and the prototype in tow (post #515; silver top shell to match the tow vehicle).
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tep-63317.html
The thread ends with several pages of critiques and criticisms that I think contributed to Robert's looking to an established manufacturer to bring his creation to mass production and marketing.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
No pics?

In the age of cell phones and all I cannot figure out why they would think there would be no photos taken. And really, why would they care? Matters not to me, I’m not in the market.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Dave,

DO NOT read this sentence.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #27

Denver, CO
Dave, you not only read the sentence we said not to read (No Photos), but you have helped feed the pre-release buzz.

"Psst, Wanna see some pics? I am not supposed to have these."

Notice how Airstream's email announcement which this thread began on, intentionally omits interior pics.

Airstream is teasing us. And, it is working, at least on me. They are playing us like teen age boys trying to see through a knot hole.

"Hey, check out those taillights".
Old 12-30-2017, 11:10 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Dave, you not only read the sentence we said not to read (No Photos), but you have helped feed the pre-release buzz. "Psst, Wanna see some pics? I am not supposed to have these." Notice how Airstream's email announcement which this thread began on, intentionally omits interior pics. Airstream is teasing us. And, it is working, at least on me. They are playing us like teen age boys trying to see through a knot hole. "Hey, check out those taillights".
Like Br'er Rabbit to Br'er Fox, "Please don't take any pictures of me!"
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #29

Denver, CO
Hello Airstream,

We know you read this. You told us you discovered Nest inventor Robert Johans as he posted over 800 times here. Robert probably reads this, and is enjoying the buzz. Good for you, Robert. Well deserved.

A suggestion: The Denver RV show is this Thursday through Saturday. The next several months is RV show season everywhere. I know you are rolling Nests out April 12th. Those attending the show, don't. They don't know Nests exist.

Here's an idea. You are in the business of selling trailers. People buy trailers at RV shows. Take a Nest or two to the Denver show, and then other shows. You could be the only molded fiberglass trailer there this year. Next year, who knows? I will bring 3 friends, Marty, Karen, and Mark who are warm to the market, and could write deposit checks. Taking deposits against future production is normal in molded fiberglass manufacturing.

I don't care if you transport them enclosed or not. At the show, put them close inside a 6' picket fence, and drill plenty of knot holes, or hide it behind a shear curtain, if you must. Maybe you display unassembled halves of an unfinished Nest. But let folks see the molded fiberglass concept, or risk losing a chunk of the 2018 season.

I vote for knot holes, up close to the trailer. It is far more outdoorsy. It appeals to our curious nature. I hereby grant you all rights to use it. If not a trailer, put some full size pics behind the fence. You want to keep mystique? Curtain the locked interior.

Not ready for that? At least bring some nice brochures. I'll bring the potential buyers.

See you Saturday.

This is your chance to steal the show(s).
Old 12-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #30

Iowa
I’m a little slow on the uptake. But at least I am
honest. I did take propaganda analysis in college and it was interesting and helpful but that was 50 years ago. Oh well the principals probably still apply but it’s a lot harder to separate me from my money now. Which is being attempted on a daily basis though fear, sympathy, faulty logic etc etc. I am a sucker for the latest beer marketing ploy around here. That is buy two six packs, get one free. Happy New Year
Iowa “ where’s my Brownie Bullet” Dave
Old 12-31-2017, 08:00 AM   #31

Denver, CO
Boy, hasn't the meaning of the word "free" changed? Many of you will recall when free, meant free. It didn't mean it was free after you paid them money to buy two, or did something like watch a presentation for a timeshare. Now, there are so many strings attached to "free".

Still it's great just living in a "free" country, where I can speak freely. ...as long as the snowflakes' feelings aren't hurt.

By the way, Having been born in Red Oak, IA, my own values led me to think twice about the intent behind the "no photos" sign. If they really wanted no photos, they would have put The Nests inside a gated eight foot picket fence, and plugged all the knot holes. They did not.

Momma once told me, "Son, you don't advertise something that ain't For Sale."
Then she told my sister to button up.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #32

Iowa
I’ve been to and through Red Oak many times. We used to camp and fish Viking Lake State Park near there and hunt pheasants and quail in that area. The “little white city” Stanton was always a visual treat with every home being painted white and their iconic water tower Toll painted and sheet metaled up to look like a Swedish coffee pot as a tribute to native daughter Mrs. Olson of coffee advertising fame. Next stop Villisca of Hatchet murder fame. Another story for another round of “free” beer.
Iowa “Highway 59”’Dave
Old 12-31-2017, 08:16 PM   #33

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I have to admit. It is a pretty nice copy of a Lil Snoozy with a windshield.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #34

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
What originally made the Nest so intriguing to many of us was the construction of a fiberglass chassis floor strong enough to not need a welded metal trailer frame under it. Axle, tongue and rear hitch/step were bolted directly to the fiberglass floor. But it appears Airstream has nixed that original concept. So the Nest has kind of morphed into a 16' single axle, rear door Oliver - kind of.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #35

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
I see very little similarity to a Snoozie except for the rear entry. And, they're both fiberglass.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #36

North Carolina
Registry
Airstream 16' FG launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I see very little similarity to a Snoozie except for the rear entry. And, they're both fiberglass.

Well I do. From what I have seen, the interior layout is close to the same. Of course the Snoozy doesn’t have the AC on top. The Snoozy rear door is wider. So there are some differences. Just not 8- 10 grand worth. It’s to a Snoozy like a Casita is to a Scamp.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #37

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Just not 8- 10 grand worth.
I'm afraid it's way more than that. Put 4K-5K worth of options in a Lil Snoozy and you're only at 26K or so. The Nest will probably start in the mid 40s.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #38

North Carolina
Registry
I believe Airstream has made it wider. That may be a good selling point
Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #39

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I don't see it. At least not the analogy of Casita/Scamp. Scamp and Casita are more or less from the mold Boler used. Same shape, pretty much exactly.

These are definitely two pretty different designs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nest.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	114846

Click image for larger version

Name:	snoozy-2016.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	114847

The interior layout of all these small fiberglass units is about the same. Only so much you can do with that size and shape space.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #40

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
What originally made the Nest so intriguing to many of us was the construction of a fiberglass chassis floor strong enough to not need a welded metal trailer frame under it. Axle, tongue and rear hitch/step were bolted directly to the fiberglass floor. But it appears Airstream has nixed that original concept. So the Nest has kind of morphed into a 16' single axle, rear door Oliver - kind of.
Oliver? or is that just trying to justify the price?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote