Airstream Acquires NestCaravans - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think this is great news for the community, and Robert in particular. Having a dream become accepted and commercially viable has got to be very rewarding for him. Having someone like Thor validate his design and concept speaks very highly for the him and the Nest.

I have a ton of respect and admiration for somebody that has a dream and makes it a reality.

I am a little curious why A/S saw this as the entry to a lower cost trailer for their market. Several years ago Thor bought Livin Lite, makers of an all aluminum trailer called CampLite, would have thought that would be their entry level version. They are robust trailers but build quality seems to have declined since Thor got involved - at least that is what I read on the various forums. I have looked a several and they look like a very road ready trailer! Could use more storage but overall a great concept.

Even A/S aren't all aluminum, still have rotting floors in relatively new ones. I have a 1977 19' Airstream Argosy which was the entry level A/S in the mid 70's and have to admit, for a 40 year old trailer it is one tough little trailer that has seen a lot of miles. I'm soon going to be making the switch to fiberglass for ease of maintenance and just to have something newer (with a grey tank!). Glad to see another fiberglass trailer become mainstream.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #22

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
Interesting that they went from launching in early 2014 to acquisition in 2016.... two years and probably made a ton of money in the process. Even in his thread back in 2013, he was comparing them to Airstreams.
I hope he did make a ton of money. I suspect that "ton of money" would pale to you if you knew how many "tons" of money he had to invest to get to this point. I assure you it was huge and a huge gamble.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
I hope he did make a ton of money. I suspect that "ton of money" would pale to you if you knew how many "tons" of money he had to invest to get to this point. I assure you it was huge and a huge gamble.
The time alone was huge. He suspended The Egg Plant to work on building the Nest. I couldn't afford to go without some sort of income for several years. But to see a dream come to fruition would be NIRVANA. I wish him well with whatever else he decides to pursue, truly.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #24
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'm closing this thread in favor of the one titled New fiberglass player - Airstream, so all future comments can be (hopefully) in one place. Have a great day, y'all!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Closed Thread